Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ball bearing rolling inside gearbox?!?

• 05-06-2013 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi I just looked at my Combat machine m4 carbine today and noticed when I tilt it up and down that there seems to be something thats freely moving around inside my gearbox. It sounds like metal ball rolling around on metal. Its firing normally and I'm pretty sure it isnt a BB so what do I do? I think its called a ball bearing that may be loose but I'm clueless really, when i point my gun up i hear it moving and then when i point my gun down it rolls down again. Please help thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Hi I just looked at my Combat machine m4 carbine today and noticed when I tilt it up and down that there seems to be something thats freely moving around inside my gearbox. It sounds like metal ball rolling around on metal. Its firing normally and I'm pretty sure it isnt a BB so what do I do? I think its called a ball bearing that may be loose but I'm clueless really, when i point my gun up i hear it moving and then when i point my gun down it rolls down again. Please help thanks!

how long has it been in there? you can take the pistol grip off, take the motor out and see if it will fall out of the bottom of the GB. You should really try to get it out though, it may not be doing anything right now but it only needs to get into the teeth of the gears and it will do a lot of damage. Having said that, depending how long you've noticed this i don't think it's in your GB, if it was the chances of it doing some damage are pretty high really so it may be somewhere else. can you take a gearbox apart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SlappyTheSeal

T4RGET wrote: »
    how long has it been in there? you can take the pistol grip off, take the motor out and see if it will fall out of the bottom of the GB. You should really try to get it out though, it may not be doing anything right now but it only needs to get into the teeth of the gears and it will do a lot of damage. Having said that, depending how long you've noticed this i don't think it's in your GB, if it was the chances of it doing some damage are pretty high really so it may be somewhere else. can you take a gearbox apart?

I'm no good with gearboxes but ill try get it out of the motor hole ina few minutes

I'm no good with gearboxes but ill try get it out of the motor hole ina few minutes

let me know how it goes, otherwise bring it to a retailer and see if they can get it out. if you're ever in Kildare i can otherwise have a look but it's best to take it out before you game again.

let me know how it goes, otherwise bring it to a retailer and see if they can get it out. if you're ever in Kildare i can otherwise have a look but it's best to take it out before you game again.

Nope didnt come out. Looks like ill be bringing it to a repair shop then :(

Nope didnt come out. Looks like ill be bringing it to a repair shop then :(

yeah best to get it open to have a look.

• Advertisement

yeah best to get it open to have a look.

Turns out it was a loose shim, never opened the gearbox before yesterday so Im not sure how it got there, although I'm going to have a rant about mia in a few minutes about my gun. Turns out because they never downgraded the spring (m120) and just drilled a hole in the side, my gearbox cracked in half :( Now I'm stuck with an unusable gun :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Turns out it was a loose shim, never opened the gearbox before yesterday so Im not sure how it got there, although I'm going to have a rant about mia in a few minutes about my gun. Turns out because they never downgraded the spring (m120) and just drilled a hole in the side, my gearbox cracked in half :( Now I'm stuck with an unusable gun :(

Welcome to airsoft, where MIA drill holes in cylinders. And people rant bout "it is a very efficient way of downgrading" give me a break like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

Welcome to airsoft, where MIA drill holes in cylinders. And people rant bout "it is a very efficient way of downgrading" give me a break like.

Efficient my ass!! Best thing to do is request a downgrade by spring change although I never buy anything there anyway. It's a real shame to be honest. Id give you a casing if I could but i sold my old one. I'd say you could get one for cheap on here. Just a suggestion :)

Efficient my ass!! Best thing to do is request a downgrade by spring change although I never buy anything there anyway. It's a real shame to be honest. Id give you a casing if I could but i sold my old one. I'd say you could get one for cheap on here. Just a suggestion :)

Haha ill try get a cheap one :P The entire thing still works because one side only has a hairline crack but im not touching it till i get a new casing incase I eff it up worse than it is :P And yeah im boycotting MIA now for that. Maybe for little things like a battery or something ill buy from that but for guns, never again :D

Started a thread about that a while back actually, They sent me an email saying its an great way to downgrade without opening the gearbox and i just found it all bull really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Bring it back to them, they sold you a damaged gun. You should not have to foot the bill for their wrong doings. If your car could drive too fast would you drill a hole in the engine block?

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Bring it back to them, they sold you a damaged gun. You should not have to foot the bill for their wrong doings. If your car could drive too fast would you drill a hole in the engine block?

I would but its been 3 years since i bought the thing, iv only gotten comfortable with taking out gearboxes very recently, so i think they would just laugh me out of the shop. But i agree 100% if i had of bought it last month id be protesting outside their shop for the next year or until they gave me an undrilled gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

I would but its been 3 years since i bought the thing, iv only gotten comfortable with taking out gearboxes very recently, so i think they would just laugh me out of the shop. But i agree 100% if i had of bought it last month id be protesting outside their shop for the next year or until they gave me an undrilled gun.

If its 3 years old your gonna have some problems with getting a refund!! But the old versions of the g&g combat machines were supposedly rock solid and people had them without issue for far longer than 3 years. The newer versions may not be as good but they're still a solid piece. You could've had that gun for a year or 2 extra if the spring had been replaced instead of a drilled hole :(
    As you said yourself don't use it even if it's just a hairline crack because if the crack does break over all the stress then your gears might sh!t themselves while moving in which case you'd most likely be looking a new gearbox bar a few bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

Never tried one of these personally, but they are meant to stop the GB from coming apart. Have a little look at the Video.

http://airsoftpro.cz/eshop/product_info.php?cPath=85_45&products_id=1580

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Keegan

Slappy where in Dublin are you?

I've a dead G&G gearbox lying around somewhere I'll have a dig tonight but your welcome to have it for the shell. (If I find it)

Rooky1 wrote: »
    Never tried one of these personally, but they are meant to stop the GB from coming apart. Have a little look at the Video.

http://airsoftpro.cz/eshop/product_info.php?cPath=85_45&products_id=1580

Might invest in one of those actually, theres also sorbo pads that I might get because idgaf about FPS as long as my gun has good range, even then they only decrease the fps by ~10 so its not gonna matter much, id get them coupled with the gearbox reinforcer as sorbo pads reduce the impact of the piston and then the reinforcer keeps it together, then my m4 would be running with no problems i think haha

Keegan wrote: »
    Slappy where in Dublin are you?

I've a dead G&G gearbox lying around somewhere I'll have a dig tonight but your welcome to have it for the shell. (If I find it)

Really? Haha thanks! Im based in blanch but i cant travel far, ill pay for postage if need be :D

Really? Haha thanks! Im based in blanch but i cant travel far, ill pay for postage if need be :D

No problem, lemme just make sure I can find it first and then we'll worry about getting it to you.

No problem, lemme just make sure I can find it first and then we'll worry about getting it to you.

Thanks I really appreciate it, I definitely owe you :D

Thanks I really appreciate it, I definitely owe you :D

Good news I found it. PM me your details and I'll look into getting it posted.

• Advertisement

Good news I found it. PM me your details and I'll look into getting it posted.

Pming you now! You have no clue how happy I am!

Advertisement