Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stung by weever fish

Options
  • 05-06-2013 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi! I was surfing in Donegal over the weekend. About an hour into my surf I felt a sharp stab to my right foot. I surfed on and when I finished up and returned to my car, the pain became intense...I drove into town to a pharmacy..for 2 hours the pain was something else; i was advised to put my foot in very hot water..which I did.
    My foot then swelled up fairly badly.
    4-5 days later my foot is still sore and a bit swoolen , but defo improved.

Any of you get stung?

I didnt realise Irish water had such potent little creatures!
    In future, I will defo wear booties!!

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Darn, they are here in June! it's usually a late July/August weever fest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Yea, they pack a fine punch!
    Was at Rossnowlagh fyi!!

It scares me to think what pain from a stonefish or a box jellyfish would be like!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I got stung by one on rossnowlagh about 20 years ago ( honestly were the f**k did the 20 years go)

Very painful,

It's a bit early for them , normally out in autumn. They tend to hang out in the sand around the low tide mark. Best trick is to drag your feet in the shallows when its low tide, this will startle them and you will avoid getting stung

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

Just done the maths....bloody hell....30 years ago @ Furbo beach,Galway...stood on the fish but cute lifeguard took care of me...basin of very hot water for as long as I could take it,to draw poison out & then to hospital for tetanus jab:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

It's very early for Weaver fish,if the water keeps warming up they will be in the shallows in their droves

Hopefully the greater Weaver won't make an appearance. ....
    Haven't seen much jellyfish in year's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭6541

Jellyfish are out in the deep, was sea fishing last week off the Mayo coast and saw loads....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I have the same unopened bottle of vinegar in the boot for the last few years just in case....

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I have the same unopened bottle of vinegar in the boot for the last few years just in case....

vinegar is usless for Weever fish, there venom is a protein that is broken down by heat.

Vinegar works with jellyfish stings as it balances out the alkaline with acidity. Vinegar does not work with Porteguse man O'War jellyfish.

Yep, really hit water is the recommended way to treat a weever sting!
    Vinegar or urine for certain jellyfish!

Is not as sore today but still slightly swoolen & blistered: lovely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

i got stung under big toe a few years ago, was getting sharp pains for ages and eventually i pulled a bit of the sting out of my toe around 2 months later, problem solved.

The weaver was a pancake compared to standing on a sea urchent in peru

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Happened to me a few times. first time is the most painful as you don't know what it is, you panic a bit and your body reacts.
    I got stung a few more times since but I headed straight back to the van, heated some water and put my foot in it for a while and went back surfing.
    It's still painful but once you know what it is you can block it out and carry on.

You'll find that as your surfing improves you'll spend zero time walking in the shallows are you're always paddling and it won't happen ever again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

LongZ wrote: »
    first time is the most painful as you don't know what it is, you panic a bit and your body reacts.

You'll find that as your surfing improves you'll spend zero time walking in the shallows are you're always paddling and it won't happen ever again :)

Nope and Nope.
    Found out the hard way Im allergic to them, three and counting, Iv been told I wont even know about the next one its gonna go so badly, I now keep a pen in the camera bag for when **** goes tits up and just down surf bare foot no more.

And Im years in the water, first was when I pulled outta a wave, second was getting on the board to paddle out, brushed my toe off the ****er, escaped lightly on that one, the last was swimming the shore break, stood on the little **** good and propper. If there was a handy bus for the lads to throw me under that day, I woulda happily agreed. As has been previously documented here, Iv broken everything. Nothing compares or even comes close to the pain of that last sting. I feel ill now even thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

just wonderin, do all Jellyfish sting? ? someone told me the purple ones dont??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Can i just ask slightly off topic but for example when kids are paddling in the sea in maybe a couple of ft of water could they be at risk from these weaver fish its just that my 2 little ones are only getting used to the sea this week has been their first time in the sea really im affraid they would be put off for life if they stood on something

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

All jellyfish have venom, thats how they immobilise their prey so they can eat them. The venom is in tiny spines on the tentacles, you can't get stung by touching the dome. As for some not stinging humans I don't know, I guess on some species the spines might not be able to penetrate our skin?
    shamrock55 wrote: »
    Can i just ask slightly off topic but for example when kids are paddling in the sea in maybe a couple of ft of water could they be at risk from these weaver fish its just that my 2 little ones are only getting used to the sea this week has been their first time in the sea really im affraid they would be put off for life if they stood on something

Weaver fish are generally very rare at this time of the year, they usually don't come in until around August. But even then people getting stung by them isn't that common. You can buy rubber sandals/shoes with thick soles for wearing in the sea that will protect your children from the stings if you're worried. You should be able to get them in most outdoor/watersports shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

MadYaker wrote: »
    All jellyfish have venom, thats how they immobilise their prey so they can eat them. The venom is in tiny spines on the tentacles, you can't get stung by touching the dome. As for some not stinging humans I don't know, I guess on some species the spines might not be able to penetrate our skin?

Weaver fish are generally very rare at this time of the year, they usually don't come in until around August. But even then people getting stung by them isn't that common. You can buy rubber sandals/shoes with thick soles for wearing in the sea that will protect your children from the stings if you're worried. You should be able to get them in most outdoor/watersports shops.

Yea thanks for that they have those shoes but both hate wearing them in the water anyway im sure the chances are very low anyway never happened to me or anyone i know before its just when you hear about it it just gets you thinking

Yeah it is rare. I've been surfing for years and I've only ever seen it once. Wasn't me thank god, I always wear neoprene booties. People paddling on the edge are most likely to get stung since the weaver fish are generally under sand around the low tide mark.

All jellyfish stung but the tentacles are different lengths so the purple ones are less likely to sting as oppose to the brown ones

ok fanore loaded wit jf yesterday

Hey! Yea, i wouldnt worry about your kids; the chances of getting stung are low...
    You could get them croc rubber shoes, just to be careful...

I was a bit unlucky that day...drove up via Enniskillen, got stopped at roadblock & diverted south because of the G8 summit.. Then i got lost for about an hour (drove in a big circle) arrived in Rossnowlagh, straight to beach with my board & within an hour i was stung by the weever... I should have done the lotto that day!!

A

• Advertisement

The swelling of my foot is gone down.. Just the toe where i was stung, and area around it is sore & blistered... Using aloe vera @ mo!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Sorry bud but that sounds like a severe reaction to the fish, it'd be in your best interest to see if you are allergic to them, a second anaphylactic reaction wont be mild (Not saying thats what you got but it's in your best interest to rule it out)

Yeah you should go to a doctor, that isn't a normal reaction to the venom. You could be allergic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Yep I've been stung by a damn weever, right in the tip of my big toe while wading. Hurts like hell for about half an hour and was numb for ages after that.

Thanks! Yea, i am allergic to bee stings: swelled up really bad as a kid..
    Will keep an eye on the weever sting...is definitely inproving but slowly... Can take 1-2 weeks for area to heal 100%!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Shekira

One of my crew got stung by a weaver fish at the weekend. Didn't realised what it was til we went to the lifeguard station. It was not even 12 noon and we were the third weaver fish case that day! :( Have to say the life guard was excellent but its still sore 2 days later. In future I won't let them into the sea an hour either side of low tide......easier said than done though!;)

what is best line of action if u do
    have an encounter?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Shekira

lizgal wrote: »
    what is best line of action if u do
    have an encounter?

Put foot in a basin of hot water asap....as hot as you can bare it..... for about 20 - 30 mins. Top up with hot water every so often........think it draws the sting out....well at least this is what the life guard did.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauld81

Shekira wrote: »
    Put foot in a basin of hot water asap....as hot as you can bare it..... for about 20 - 30 mins. Top up with hot water every so often........think it draws the sting out....well at least this is what the life guard did.

Yup dead right, but make sure you take out affected part out before topping up the hot water!! Ive had to treat a guy stung on foot, two hours later he got stung on his hand from playing in the shallows with his kids doh!!
    And always get stings from weavers and jellies checked by doctor as the stinging spine/s may still be in the skin alos possible tetanus and allergies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I was out surfing today on Tullaghan and after reading this thread I found myself making sure to shake up the sand as I walked out to scare any fish away. Normally its the jellies Im worried about. I was thinking though they are probably more likely to be found at a calm beach like Rossnowlagh than they are at Tullaghan? Would I be right?

Advertisement