Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed to sort out mess after migration to another server ...

Options
  • 05-06-2013 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hello,

Having major issues with my customers accounts hosted on a major ISP...
    Previous topic closed here,so i don't want to rant but i need technical advice...and maybe financial compensation !!!

We received an email few days ago that our account with <snip> is suspended due to ... migration to a new server !
    Replied via email saying may be an error,as our account is paid up-to-date.
    Then,yesterday,customer call me saying they are not receiving any emails from external sources...Called <snip> (as all other settings looked ok to me) ,I was number 10 in queue then at 5pm i've got cut off.
    Now ,called them at 9:01 and i'm number 18 in queue !!!

ALL DNS settings are messed up,MX records pointing to a mail.mx.domain.ie but kept the office IP address.
    I have other domains hosted with them...All other domains with POP3 been replaced with some server names never heard about.
    Main DNS servers changed as well.
    TTL left to 4h or 24h rather to make it to 1h or less to speed up replication...stupid !

In a short word,after 40 minutes on hold,i am losing my patience here...
    What options do i have !???

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Once discussion is kept technical this is ok :) . Just no mentioning of webhosts (I have snipped the names of company in question). Please review the charter here for the reasons hosting discussion is not ok.

Cheers

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Same issues here. Several customers, failed shared hosting platform migration, sites ftp and email offline.

Phones seem to be eventually answered after about an hour on hold. Seems like you have to commit fully to that hold music. No satisfactory answers after talking to a customer service rep, no ETA to restoration of services, "We're working on it". Fair enough.

With limited access to DNS to migrate individual services away, we're caught just the same as you, left waiting for news.

The only option I think we have at this stage is to attempt to transfer domains to another host that can be relied upon.

Cumbersome when you have no access to email on the domain, for .ie's we're into changes of admin/technical contacts directly with the IEDR, faxing of letters signed back and forth on company headed paper where appropriate between ourselves, customers and the IEDR to get nameservers changed and setting up web and ftp sites again elsewhere, when we have no access to files/DB's where they have not been independantly backed up.

That might be bearable for one or two domains, but for 80?

Open to hearing alternative suggestions from others in the know!

Ultimately, it's a case of "you get what you pay for" with shared hosting.

However, that doesn't excuse this extended downtime and lack of customer communication or alternative advice from the provider in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Updates here ...

Got access to older control panel.
    With the new MX records fcuked,i created matching those A records with a 10 minutes TTL that points to office IP address.

new mx records
    mail.mx.domain.ie pointing to some ISP address -=> created NEW A records with IP address of public office WAN address

I hope it will be updated in few minutes therefore,email begin flowing again until all DNS and IPs settle down !

Keep checking your records here

Have fun...

Advertisement