Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picnic spots

Options
  • 05-06-2013 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Can anyone suggest some nice picnic spots maybe with picnic tables etc around the city or a short drive away? Am stumped but want to have a picnic with the gorgeous weather we're having :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Fitzgeralds park.
    Atlantic pond.
    Around blackrock castle (i think the ones in the castle grounds are part of the cafe)

Fota house and gardens

Most of the beaches... garretstown, ballycotton, sandycove, myrtleville.

Any of the woods... farran, currabinny, gugaun barra

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

mm the atlantic pond dont have seats though most defo..

There is a nice spot in Dripsey past the flower centre kinda just before you come to the village on the right hand side. There is a lake right next to it though so it might not be good for very young kids but you can go swimming. there are some loverly spots too in lismore pass the castle and turn right again all along there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

mimihops wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest some nice picnic spots maybe with picnic tables etc around the city or a short drive away? Am stumped but want to have a picnic with the gorgeous weather we're having :)

Down by Blackrock Castle and the walkway around by the water.The top of the Marina by Shandon boat club.Also the Leefields or the park in Ballincollig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I know its not exactly close, but just outside Innishannon on the right as you drive to Bandon is nice, by the river, think I remeber them having picnic tables there. Otherwise I would go to Currabinny Woods - its not far from the city. Farran woods is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Farran woods is lovely but a fiver for parking anx i heard its a tenner for a people carrier which is a bit extreme.
    The regional park in ballincollig is one of my favourite spots to go for a walk and it has plenty of picnic tables scattered round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Thanks for all the suggestions, didn't realise Farran was a fiver now!! :eek: Kindof forgot about regional park, going to check that out for sure, haven't been on a walk around there in years.

Oh have they started charging buggers. they don't during the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Milly33 wrote: »

There is a nice spot in Dripsey past the flower centre kinda just before you come to the village on the right hand side. There is a lake right next to it though so it might not be good for very young kids but you can go swimming. there are some loverly spots too in lismore pass the castle and turn right again all along there

Where is this exactly?

The Dripsey one is it? Do you know where Griffins Garden Centre is (here is the link to the site just incase http://www.griffinsgardencentre.ie/ ) if you went out that direction from Ballincollig or town, drive past the garden centre it will be on your left and keep going until just before Dripsey village.. The spot is on the left hand side of the road there, keep an eye out as you would easily pass it.

On saying this it may be just a little beyond the village too sorry it has been a while since I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

mimihops wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions, didn't realise Farran was a fiver now!! :eek: Kindof forgot about regional park, going to check that out for sure, haven't been on a walk around there in years.
    If you keep going down to the end of the path keeping the water on your left youll come to rugby pitches. Keep left here and theres a path behind bushes. Keep going again and you will end up in a large green area that nobody bar the odd angler uses. If you bring a picnic blanket its lovely there as its a nice stroll down and back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Milly33 wrote: »

There are seats there, all around the whole thing. No tables, but plenty of benches. We picnic there all the time on the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Ballincollig Regional Park is gorgeous.

pwurple wrote: »
    There are seats there, all around the whole thing. No tables, but plenty of benches. We picnic there all the time on the grass.

should have said more benches, wouldn't class them as picnic-ey seats..

I never knew about the water place in Ballincollig park well have to nip down there at the weekend and see if we can find it.thanks

Advertisement