Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boned and rolled chicken?

Options
  • 05-06-2013 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I do roast chicken every few months, and always get a whole chicken and roast it off pretty simply using some herbs and spices, and a few lemons (one up the er...whatsit and one squeezed and rubbed on the skin). Very simple. I remove all the meat I can get at, and dispose of the carcass. I don't use the bones to make stock, I don't use the juices to make gravy, nothing of that ilk.

I'm planning on doing it this weekend, and I wonder if I shouldn't just get the butcher to bone and roll it for me. I assume the wings, etc are removed, but I can get them and roast them separately, so the only iffy thing for me would be the taste. I won't be able to stuff a lemon and spices into the chicken, but there'll be more surface for applying them to the outer layer.

I've always placed great stock in "on the bone", but does it really apply here, since most of the meat is far enough away from any significant bones. Does anyone swear by a boned and rolled chicken for sunday dinner? Any tips on cooking and keeping it moist? Equally, anybody who tried boned and rolled and thinks the whole variant is better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Have a google of boned chicken pepin style. There's a great YouTube video by him that's really easy to follow.

Its a really nice change to a bone in chicken. It's stays quite moist. Make sure you get a large chicken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

boned and rolled chicken is great for marination as you can marinate inside and out. It suits tandoori chicken and other asian style marinations. The marination makes up for the loss of flavour from removing the carcass.
    if your not marinating it inside and out, then i would definitely leave it on he bone as it will be better for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Second on the Pepin video. I've done it a few times now with different stuffings and it's amazing. Most successful was wilted spinach, shallot and dried apricot. It's easier than it looks and takes around 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

That Pepin video looks great (assuming it's the 10minute one where he debones the chicken and then stuffs and ties it up) and it's something I want to try. I suspect that most butchers don't go to the lengths he goes to to keep so much meat and make sure it's an even layer, so maybe if I'm going down this route, I need to learn how to do it myself. Always a good idea of you want something done properly.

Advertisement