Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of Decay

Options
  • 05-06-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

anyone getting this today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Maybe, looks good but I'm gonna try the demo first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Looks great, got an 89 from IGN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just waiting on MS points from Gamesnash and downloading the demo at the moment. In the absence of anything else, it looks like a decent substitute for "The Last Of Us".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Gonna get the trial and buy it after.Its gotten good reviews and the company behind it are making another mmo title like day z

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Downloading demo as we speak but looks like it could be an interesting game alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Is it worth the 1600 ms points . I only have 1200 ATM so I would have to buy 400 more to get it .

Well played it for a couple of hours last night and it is fun. There seems to be a large enough area and plenty of options and hopefully opens up more. I've taken the splash and bought it, seems like a nicely polished game.....

But download the demo anyway, they give you a decent area/time to get familiar with it and it does open up later on. Looking forward to getting some good scoped rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Like the demo so far. Will buy!

This sold 250,000 in 48 hours - only Minecraft has sold faster on XBLA.
    Article here.

I know, something else isn't it. But really good quality game. Hopefully developers see the potential in XBLA, don't mind paying 1600 points for a good game as opposed to 40-50 quid for an overhyped one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭James201213

PauloConn wrote: »
    I know, something else isn't it. But really good quality game. Hopefully developers see the potential in XBLA, don't mind paying 1600 points for a good game as opposed to 40-50 quid for an overhyped one.....

Demo seemed a bit jumpy , is it the same in the real full game?

• Advertisement

I didn't notice it being jumpy but didn't see any marked change when i went into the full game. It takes about 20 seconds to go from demo to full game though as most is downloaded with the demo but activated after.
    So i wouldn't hold out for a super improvement but i'm really enjoying it. Need to learn how to build stuff and going to give it some proper attention this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I don't think it will ever be the smoothest or most polished release, but that's kind of the point. It's a success for the indy developer and I'm sure given the critical and financial success, they will keep patching and improving until we get a big-budget adaptation in Class-4.

I played the demo, if I had paid 60 euro I'd be a little annoyed, but every little glitch or moment of frustration actually makes me smile a little. This game is a victory for the "little guy". Ok, undead labs may not be two guys in a bedroom, and this game is really a sort of Beta test for the eventual MMO, but it's not just another triple A title that's treading over the same old ground...and for a zombie game, that's quite an achievement.

Totally agree Dirk, at 1600 points, it's an excellent game, plenty of depth and good replay factor. And with such successes, more indie developers may focus on xbla for beta versions of games and see how they sell.
    I hope they do continue to develop and patch SOD. You really can't beat a good zombie survival game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Not to sound like a million year old Grandma, but I haven't bought anything via points in yonks, what's 1600 pts roughly equivalent to?

Not to sound like a million year old Grandma, but I haven't bought anything via points in yonks, what's 1600 pts roughly equivalent to?

I had to check this myself...you can get 2100 points from CD keys for 19 euro. So it works out as 14.50 euro for the game. If you think you will be using more points, buy the full 4200 points for 35 euro, in which case the game now costs you 13.33 euro...but with the new consoles coming out at christmas I think this may be my last XBLA purchase.

Bugger...I just double purchased points. If anyone wants 2100 points at a slight discount, let's say 17 euro, PM me and I'll forward the email. Otherwise adverts.

Quite enjoying this. A bit of a mash-up between the Sims, GTA 4 and Left 4 Dead.

Plenty of bugs, nothing game killing yet, but whatever you do, don't die IN a house. Major reported bug where rucksacks get stuck under the house, which is a pain if your character was carrying some decent weapons.

Captures the feeling of being lone survivors just right. It's a bit like Will Smith in "I am legend", just finding supplies and living another day is a victory in itself. It's not as frantic as L4D, but finding yourself stranded far from home, lost in an unfamiliar woods with zombies bearing down on you causes panic all the same.

Ammunition gone, no handy drops from bad guys, trusty 2x4 is broken, only a bottle of pills and a size 11 boot left. Stamina is draining rapidly from being out here too long, night is falling and it's a stressful attempt to run and hide all the way back to the church.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Ammunition gone, no handy drops from bad guys, trusty 2x4 is broken, only a bottle of pills and a size 11 boot left. Stamina is draining rapidly from being out here too long, night is falling and it's a stressful attempt to run and hide all the way back to the church.

Yeah, can be some hairy situations, screamers as well and a few ferals. I love plowing through hordes in a pickup, nothing like it.
    Haven't really figured out how to get daily food, pills, etc stores? Is that where you set up outposts? Need to work on that as don't seem to have anything except what i find coming in.
    And also need to work out how to repair vehicles. But had a good bash at it over the weekend and lost a few survivors. Not happy. Keep seeing their belongings on the map but can't do anything with them when i get there....:mad:

PauloConn wrote: »
    Yeah, can be some hairy situations, screamers as well and a few ferals. I love plowing through hordes in a pickup, nothing like it.
    Haven't really figured out how to get daily food, pills, etc stores? Is that where you set up outposts? Need to work on that as don't seem to have anything except what i find coming in.
    And also need to work out how to repair vehicles. But had a good bash at it over the weekend and lost a few survivors. Not happy. Keep seeing their belongings on the map but can't do anything with them when i get there....:mad:

Outposts are just so you can deposit resources as opposed to running back to the church.Try placing the outpost in the buildings surrounding the church that way no zombies will spawn there and you can set traps for hordes.Much safer to loot the surrounding buildings when their set up.
    Also when you eventually decide to leave and set up a Home base somewhere else, get rid of the old outposts as you wont have much use for them.I eventuallt moved to a big warehouse in the bottom left town (Marshall, i think).You can have up to eight surrounding outposts so no zombies will spawn in the entire area and your free to loot all the nearby warehouse,gun shops hassle free.

To repair vehicles you must build a basic workshop and then upgrade it again.My advice is dont bother.Wait till you move homebase as when you move all the buildings you created in the church wont carry over to the new home base.

Outposts are just so you can deposit resources as opposed to running back to the church.Try placing the outpost in the buildings surrounding the church that way no zombies will spawn there and you can set traps for hordes.Much safer to loot the surrounding buildings when their set up.

Thanks for that. It was just that when i found a few places with gas, materials, ammo i outposted them around the smaller town thinking i'd get some stream of supplies but didn't seem to do anything. Must have a look at what i've picked then and change them up.

• Advertisement

Raided a house today and found a P90, Revolver, AR15, Glock 17, a Tac master 1911 and loads of petrol bombs, all my christmases came at once :pac:

Edit: Nearly forgot to mention the UZI too! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

zero19 wrote: »
    Raided a house today and found a P90, Revolver, AR15, Glock 17, a Tac master 1911 and loads of petrol bombs, all my christmases came at once :pac:

Edit: Nearly forgot to mention the UZI too! :P

No automatic weapons.....Single shots FTW.

I rarely use guns, axes and machetes are the business.

Yeah, guns seem very dependant on suppresors, bullets and the likes. Nothing like taking a rusty hatchet to the head of a zombie

I started using more guns later in the game, I only used Marcus and Miya.

Miya, had the rifle, and pistol as backup, Marcus had pistols, used suppressors all the time, I'd use the guns in a pinch, or when one or two zombies was approaching, and I couldn't be arsed getting into a hacking match, just headshot them silently.

The grenade launcher was great fun later in the game, I saved it for near the end.

Automatic weapons were a total waste of ammo, brought them back, but never used them.

I've just moved to the Warehouse. I can't decide whether to fill my last facility slot with a training area or a library. #FirstPostApocalypticWorldProblems.

Finished this yesterday, anyone else think it was far too easy? Great fun though.

zero19 wrote: »
    Finished this yesterday, anyone else think it was far too easy? Great fun though.

Great fun, but ya it was easy.

Despite being in the odd tight spot, I didn't lose my main two playable characters. I sent out a few sick ones to die in blazes of glory, that's about it.

I think if they had way bigger, slower moving hordes it would be great.

They have a patch inbound with a harder game mode, Pure Survival Mode.

Has anybody played since the update?

• Advertisement

Havent touched this in a week.My survivors are probably all dead:(

Advertisement