Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over coming my "cornering" fear

• 05-06-2013 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

Advice needed.

Driving a HD softail that has lowered suspension.
    Had a fall after getting caught by a cross wind and lost the back end of the bike on muck from a tractor.

Back in the saddle as I just refuse to give up. My problem is on corners that are tight but can be taken at speeds from 60-100kph I just turn to jelly on the bike.
    It's not all the time but I get those pesky flashback feelings of the fall I had.

I know there is no issues with the bike and it's not the bike I came off on.

Yesterday took a spin on the N52 from mullingar, must have had to slow down over ten odd times and I know that it's not the road surface or the bike it's just me. Prior to the fall I drove this road tons of time and had no issues etc.

I do find myself looking just ahead of the bike for dirt etc and of course not looking ahead as in it will go where your looking, these are issues I'm working on. Roundabouts appear as bloody mount everest sometimes.

Does anyone have any advice on extra things to do or is it a case of just clocking up the miles to get back to form. It's frustrating. I'm thinking of going for bike lessons again just to see if there is something they notice I'm doing arse ways and I'm sure better slow speed control could help over all.

All advice greatly welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

get thee to a track training day at mondello.

the instructors are great and you will learn an awful lot.

but there wouldn't be anything wrong with lessons either but idk who you'd go to for 'advanced' lessons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

I'd say the more you get out on the bike the more confidence you will get back... And yes, maybe a few lessons might do you good or even getting out there with people for spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

It does seem that your confidence has taken a massive knock which is to be expected after any fall, keep doing what you always have done.

The best tips I can give you from a very good instructor is to get into the correct position (line) for the corner and make sure you are in the right gear BEFORE you enter the bend. You basically want the bike doing nothing only gripping the road. Once mid bend you want a positive throttle (weight on the back wheel) and drive the bike around the corner. Do not coast around the corners if at all possible or have a neutral throttle.

It would help to get out with other riders as seeing others doing this will help you get a feel for it.

Best of luck, but dont sweat it. It will come back to you.....If you have any questions why not drop Lookbehindyou a PM and he sort you out. PM if you need his number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Get some lessons! Not lecturing you but it really opens your eyes. I can safely say, since I did my rospa training it has completely changed how I bike. The line you take into corners, how to read them(vanishing point), how to judge approach speed, target fixation and general roadcraft is what you will learn. Well worth the effort. Get yourself a copy of the police riders handbook. It is all based on that system.

Good Luck

The police riders handbook is a great book but it complicates the **** outta simple things......and tries to baffle you with data and statistics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

On mobile now - but go to youtube and chrck video called "how to corner and break on sport bike" 228k views, one of the best tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Advice needed.

Driving a HD softail that has lowered suspension.
    Had a fall after getting caught by a cross wind and lost the back end of the bike on muck from a tractor.

Back in the saddle as I just refuse to give up. My problem is on corners that are tight but can be taken at speeds from 60-100kph I just turn to jelly on the bike.
    It's not all the time but I get those pesky flashback feelings of the fall I had.

I know there is no issues with the bike and it's not the bike I came off on.

Yesterday took a spin on the N52 from mullingar, must have had to slow down over ten odd times and I know that it's not the road surface or the bike it's just me. Prior to the fall I drove this road tons of time and had no issues etc.

I do find myself looking just ahead of the bike for dirt etc and of course not looking ahead as in it will go where your looking, these are issues I'm working on. Roundabouts appear as bloody mount everest sometimes.

Does anyone have any advice on extra things to do or is it a case of just clocking up the miles to get back to form. It's frustrating. I'm thinking of going for bike lessons again just to see if there is something they notice I'm doing arse ways and I'm sure better slow speed control could help over all.

All advice greatly welcomed.

In the same position myself. fell off while practicing u turns(I'm aware that makes me sound special)..ended up having to get metal plates in my shoulder, 2 operations..not enjoying the bike as much now:(

Will get some extra lessons I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

If you can sit through the terrible acting this is a pretty good video for understanding the mechanics of cornering, also search for twist of the wrist 1

What you really want to know is how to read the corners, looking at telephone poles, tree lines, hedges, cross views and vanishing point etc. once you start doing that you will find it that you get more confident. As someone suggested get a copy of roadcraft.

Also try to get out with a a few other experienced bikers, I dont know about anyone else, but for the last two years I have been heading out on the Sunday spins and I picked up so much just by following others.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all the information you given.

Was out this morning and was a little better. I'm going to book some re-fresher lessons etc. Those videos are also very handy.
    The VP thing was something i was aware of but defo something that has helped etc. Just need to get off the country lanes
    and onto better roads.

I'm still at 2 minds of driving with others simple due to this. Any lads I meet down here are just plane nuts on there machines.

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all the information you given.

Was out this morning and was a little better. I'm going to book some re-fresher lessons etc. Those videos are also very handy.
    The VP thing was something i was aware of but defo something that has helped etc. Just need to get off the country lanes
    and onto better roads.

I'm still at 2 minds of driving with others simple due to this. Any lads I meet down here are just plane nuts on there machines.

Join us on a spin you will learn a hell of alot and be a much better person at TAKING A SLAGGING :p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Personally i recommend going out for a spin with a few lads to help you overcome the fear of it.

Being honest, im still not great and do be bricking it on a corner thats anyway tight. I have no clue about what line i should take into corners or any of that stuff which is why i usually corner fairly slow.

Last weekend i was behind blu on a lovely stretch of road and i followed his line into every bend and kept my speed up. I was absolutely ****ting myself tbh because in my mind i was convinced the bike would kick out of drop but if that was the case then how in the fook was the bike in front of me able to corner and not crash... that was all the thoughts in my mind and i genuinely found seeing another bike doing it and just copying them a massive confidence builder once i got the balls to push my limits and try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

All of the advice the lads have given you is sound. It is clear that this is playing on your mind and causing you some anxiety; you have a traumatic experience and you are still working throught it.

The most important thing is that you talk to people; you could go to a profession and pay someone or you could do what has been suggested in the above posts.

Go fora spin with a few mates or other people whohave bikes, go for a coffee after and talk about whatever you need to over that coffee, top that off with a few lessons and that should sort you out.

I hope this makes a bit of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

It's already been said but definitely get out on the Sunday spin. I went on my first group ride with the friendly bunch lads on here (aka the blue oyster mcc) a week ago. I not only had a ball but learned a lot, I've been commuting for a year on the bike and after the 8 hours I felt twice as confident. Only sorry I didn't do it a year ago!

Don't worry about being slow, I'm on a 250 and am far from a speed demon. No man gets left behind :-)

zubair wrote: »
    It's already been said but definitely get out on the Sunday spin. I went on my first group ride with the friendly bunch lads on here (aka the blue oyster mcc) a week ago. I not only had a ball but learned a lot, I've been commuting for a year on the bike and after the 8 hours I felt twice as confident. Only sorry I didn't do it a year ago!

Don't worry about being slow, I'm on a 250 and am far from a speed demon. No man gets left behind :-)

HARE HARE.....NO RABBITS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Not sure what an instructor can do for you here to be honest. You already know how it works and what to do, you've done it before.

Try to 'feel the bike' turning tight corners on a car park or something. Try to feel that turning power and the physics, how commitment gives you that stability for a want of better words.

What happened to you was a chain of unfavourable circumstances, something a biker will always be exposed to. No harm in looking out for dirt and potholes etc, I wouldn't call that fear. As a biker you will always have to be attentive like a hawk, only way of staying healthy.

I was a little wobbly myself for a short while after a few years off the bike and with a different one to what I had last. Confidence will come with practice.

Sadly the more careful you'll be and the slower you get the more likely you are to fall again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Hi all, thanks for the input.

One thing I am worried about is being overly slow. Sometimes come home thinking I should pack it in.

Would love to meet up for the spin but its a good spin for me just to get to a meeting point. There is a run this weekend with 2 local lads who share the same mindset for drives.

Went to a local hotels car park and practiced slow turns etc, seemed to help a bit so think i'm just going to keep at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

tis all confidence, and only way to gain that safely (really imo), is getting more experience and miles under your belt!

dont worry, we all have good days and bad days on the bike - just dont let it keep ya down :)

Hi all, thanks for the input.

One thing I am worried about is being overly slow. Sometimes come home thinking I should pack it in.

Would love to meet up for the spin but its a good spin for me just to get to a meeting point. There is a run this weekend with 2 local lads who share the same mindset for drives.

Went to a local hotels car park and practiced slow turns etc, seemed to help a bit so think i'm just going to keep at it.

Well cavan to meath is not far and 3 of us leave meath every sunday. So you should arrange to meet up with us even for half a day.

Advertisement