Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new fibre broadband question about router

• 05-06-2013 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi All

My searches are not coming up with results, but i think my search phrase might not be the best, so i want to just ask in english

Any of the new fibre bundles from Eircom, Vodafone, Magnet etc all have their own modem. IS it possible to use your own modem for these packages?

If not, is it possible to put the providers device into passthrough mode to a router of my own? I know doing so on UPC involves calling support.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

UPC you dont call support, bridging is allowed now(though not oficially "supported"(they wont help you with it).

The new Eircom(and maybe other providers) doesnt use regular ADSL2 authentication so I dont know how own gear would work.

Manuals arent listed for the F1000 so I cant check if bridging is supported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Thats the thing, ive no idea what technology they are using for the last leg into your house. Vodafone guy who called to the door said that its a new modem, and you cant use your own, so straight away thats me turned off, but i imagine thats nonsense. No business is going to go for that!

If i could find what kind of device they are using i could look into it myself, but information is not available as far as i can see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

If you look through the rollout thread you will see that some people have the eircom modem setup in bridge mode with no issues with speeds. There is a slight bug that Tommy picked out which is if the modem looses sync it will not be able to sync back up while the modem is still in bridge mode, modem will be stuck in a boot loop until reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

vf are using a HUAWEI 658C gateway ie modem and router. Its also password protected in that you can log on but cant access the settings as admin to change things. The eircom modem/router looks to be more user friendly.

The logic behind the use of only the ISP equipment is that vectoring will be turned on in the future and other equipment may not be suitable.

lot of information on vf boards ie.

its a shame but at least we are making progress in getting fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Allen: That was my problem, i was searching for "passthrough" not Bridge!

Shame that the providers are locking down the service so much so we cant use our own equipment. I have a Draytek 2830 humming nicely on my Vodafone line, and the only reason i didnt move to Sky was the insistence i use their equipment.

The having to sign up for 2 years on vodafone isa bit of a swizz too, just to get the installation and modem free!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Drazhar wrote: »
    Allen: That was my problem, i was searching for "passthrough" not Bridge!

Shame that the providers are locking down the service so much so we cant use our own equipment. I have a Draytek 2830 humming nicely on my Vodafone line, and the only reason i didnt move to Sky was the insistence i use their equipment.

The having to sign up for 2 years on vodafone isa bit of a swizz too, just to get the installation and modem free!!

If you bridge then you're ok to still use all your own gear internally, just like using a cable modem. Shouldnt affect anything in your LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 PatDee

Hi does anyone have a manual for the new eircom zyxel F1000 router?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

PatDee wrote: »
    Hi does anyone have a manual for the new eircom zyxel F1000 router?:confused:

There does not appear to be a manual, but if you post whatever questions you have about it im sure someone will know the answer and reply.

Thanks allen.

My question is this: when I use port forwarding (for security cams) and hit the save button I get the error message that the port is already in use???? the ports I'm forwarding are unused ports. I get this error message no matter what port I use. Soo leads me to believe there's something I'm doing wrong. Any Ideas???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Try turning the firewall down and doing it again?

Thanks Mr G.

Yeah, did that no change.

Advertisement