Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Holiday with a baby

Options
  • 05-06-2013 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi any advice on taking a baby to the sun? Do i need to buy an expensice suncream or are any F50 ok? I usually use aldi brand for myself F15 and find it grand, but maybe the cheap brands are harsh on baby skin? Anyone know where I would get the following in Dublin?
    Legioner Hat (the cap with material at back) for baby
    Sun screen or big shade for buggy
    UV tent
    Baby is breast fed and wont take bottle, any tips on getting extra water into him?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Swimming nappies, get F50+ kids cream (currently half price in boots) and a swimming suite, they're wriggly and slippery when wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

thanks, have the nappies! and of course i did mean factor 50, just wondering should i invest in a more expensive natural bran such as green people as the mainstream brands contain a lot of chemicals, or did people find them ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Piz Buin 8 hour cream, factor 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Baby will breastfeed as much as he needs in the heat so don't worry about getting more water into him.
    I use ISDIN pediatric 50+ suncream on my little one - we live in the sun and this is what her pediatrician recommended for her (poor thing inherited my pale Irish skin)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Using an ordinary factor 50 here. Bought in pennys i think and doing fine.
    I got a ray shade in littlewoods. Folds up small but it is huge keep my 13 month old covered right down to her ankles and i found with d parasol i had to keep moving it. Also re hat i got 1 with the thing on d back in pennys there is another forum about sun hats here and loads recomend h&m but think it was in relation to a bigger baby.
    Enjoy your holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

boots own brand kids creams or le roche posay is what we use.
    make sure it has uva and uvb protection.
    the uv protection swimsuits are useful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Look at the back of the syncream bottle and see how many stars it gets for UVA and UVB protection. I think the Bopts ones are better in terms of coverage than some of the leading brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Regarding sun block, get a cheap one first, aldi or whatever, with the necessary uva and uvb protection of course; do a 24-hour skin test on your baby and if it's fine, it's fine.
    I got the mother-of-all expensive cream for my boy and he had a bad reaction to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skit490

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Regarding sun block, get a cheap one first, aldi or whatever, with the necessary uva and uvb protection of course; do a 24-hour skin test on your baby and if it's fine, it's fine.
    I got the mother-of-all expensive cream for my boy and he had a bad reaction to it.

Eek! Wat brand was it. Just splashed out on 1 today. Not testés yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

A test was done about 8 /9 years ago on the levels if protection in the popular sun creams and as far as I remember boots came out worst - as in there was only factor 30 in what they advertised as 50 etc, don't think Nivea was great either. Think it was ambre solaire that won so we use that on ourselves - half price most places , pharmacies etc, and use 50 by la Roche posay on kids.

• Advertisement

skit490 wrote: »
    Eek! Wat brand was it. Just splashed out on 1 today. Not testés yet.

it was garnier ambre solaire for kids, costed €25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

All sun creams are half price in boots at the moment so it's a good time to stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Get a uv protected swimsuit - penneys do them. I got a snoozeshade for over the buggy, but tbh my little one rarely slept in the buggy on holidays, so haven't got much use out of it. I used the Amber Solaire green sunscreen for her last year & another brand that's name escaped me. This year I've got the banana boat one & seems to be working fine in the irish sun. I would highly recommend getting a sling if you don't have one - great for the airports or on walks if the baby is tired etc. I wouldn't be without one on holidays.

Depending on the age, bring a few new toys for entertainment on the plane, my little one was 8 months last year when we brought her to Majorca & she was delighted with a few new bits to look at. This year at 16 months new toys & loads of snacks were essential on our flight to Tenerife. If you can latch baby on for take off & landing, great for their ears.

Oral Slang wrote: »
    I would highly recommend getting a sling if you don't have one - great for the airports or on walks if the baby is tired etc. I wouldn't be without one on holidays.

Oh yes this was a crucial piece of item for us, mostly for airports once we've checked in the buggy.
    Also, There are times when we just couldn't be bothered with the buggy during our holidays so the sling was great.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

dublinlady wrote: »
    A test was done about 8 /9 years ago on the levels if protection in the popular sun creams and as far as I remember boots came out worst - as in there was only factor 30 in what they advertised as 50 etc, don't think Nivea was great either. Think it was ambre solaire that won so we use that on ourselves - half price most places , pharmacies etc, and use 50 by la Roche posay on kids.

was it not the opposite? they came out 1 of the best?
    Tesco,Malibu,MandS,Banana boat all had issues,I was reading about this recently:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Tesco have the hats with the material at the back - I got a little blue one as a present. It has striped material at the back that can be let down or rolled up.

Advertisement