Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Health Insurance

Options
  • 05-06-2013 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

I pay my health insurance through my wages as I could never afford to fork out for the annual premium in one go.
    Now I can't afford the deductions as I'm also having the LPT deducted from my wages.
    I, thankfully, haven't made a claim this year, but still, it will cost me as much to cancel my premium as to keep paying it, between the cancellation fee and levy.
    Is there any way I can get out of paying the insurance without incurring penalties?
    It's so vexing. I really can't manage it anymore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Addle wrote: »
    I pay my health insurance through my wages as I could never afford to fork out for the annual premium in one go.
    Now I can't afford the deductions as I'm also having the LPT deducted from my wages.
    I, thankfully, haven't made a claim this year, but still, it will cost me as much to cancel my premium as to keep paying it, between the cancellation fee and levy.
    Is there any way I can get out of paying the insurance without incurring penalties?
    It's so vexing. I really can't manage it anymore.

your tied in for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

All health insurance is a 12 month contract at the moment. However there are some exceptions that they may let you out without penalty, for example if you were moving abroad most will cancel with no charge as they have no way of deducting the money, I know if you cancel with vhi they reserve the right to pursue you through all legal means but I've never heard of it happening. Have you asked about changing the plan to reduce the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks for the replies.
    I pay the lowest premium as it is.
    I'm just going to have to stick it out 'til December so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

I think you'll find that if you don't pay, you'll get a few calls/letters requesting payment but nothing else...

Payroll won't cease deductions without direction to do so from the insurer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Addle wrote: »
    Payroll won't cease deductions without direction to do so from the insurer.

Payroll would do well do heed the instructions from the employee and not the third party.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Payroll would do well do heed the instructions from the employee and not the third party.

Unfortunately, I didn't read the small print.

Advertisement