Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat 7 duplex?

Options
  • 05-06-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

What is cat 7 duplex, not able to find much info?

I have a new house build, spoke with the electrician yesterday and he can install cat 5 or cat 7, don't know why he doesn't have cat6 as that is what I wanted. He kept saying that the cat 7 is cat 7 duplex.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

jester77 wrote: »
    What is cat 7 duplex, not able to find much info?

I have a new house build, spoke with the electrician yesterday and he can install cat 5 or cat 7, don't know why he doesn't have cat6 as that is what I wanted. He kept saying that the cat 7 is cat 7 duplex.

It a thicker foil shielded cable and it comes supplied on large wooden drums.

Now unleess you are building a comms room like whats in Ebay or Paypal or in the AIB data storage centre and need massive data storage and rapid mass data transfer facilities,then you wont need it.

Cat 6/gigaspeed is more than enough for a home.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

paddy147 wrote: »
    It a thicker foil shielded cable and it comes supplied on large wooden drums.

Now unleess you are building a comms room like whats in Ebay or Paypal or in the AIB data storage centre and need massive data storage and rapid mass data transfer facilities,then you wont need it.

paddy147 is spot on
    cat 7 not even being used that commerically yet
    cat 6 would be perfect or even cat 5e

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

paddy147 wrote: »

Even they don't use or have CAT 7. They have CAT6A for the most part, 5E for a few lesser links and they use multimode fibre for the fast data links in their comms rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I put cat6a in a house before.
    €1500 a roll (2-3 years ago) and shipped in especially from Netherlands.
    Cat7 was commonly known as a higher speed of cat6 at the time (possibly cat6a, i forget now), maybe that's where your electrician is getting a bit mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I found out what the duplex is, it's basically two cat7 cables in one that are run to each point, works out at about €1.20 a meter. Not sure if that is expensive or not. I will get back to them and see if it's possible to run cat6a. cat5e would be a bit limited and cat7 is a bit of overkill.

Just a theory, I've read that the cat7 has very heavy shielding and I am wondering if they are being cheap or clever by running electrical and cat7 cables together. Would this be possible without interference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

jester77 wrote: »
    I found out what the duplex is, it's basically two cat7 cables in one that are run to each point, works out at about €1.20 a meter. Not sure if that is expensive or not. I will get back to them and see if it's possible to run cat6a. cat5e would be a bit limited and cat7 is a bit of overkill.

Just a theory, I've read that the cat7 has very heavy shielding and I am wondering if they are being cheap or clever by running electrical and cat7 cables together. Would this be possible without interference?

usually unshielded in my experience for domestic anyhow
    unless you're told different

but you keep them segregated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Tell him to install cat6 like you asked.
    A box of it is not exactly expensive or hard to come by.

Advertisement