Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye cinema--impressive and unimpressive

Options
  • 05-06-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Haven't been to the eye cinema in ages but was there last week to see the Great Gatsby, the picture quality was stunning and I wouldn't normally notice that type of thing but it really stood out as crystal clear.

However the cinema was freezing, even though almost every seat was taken, it remained cold the whole way through.....I'd my jacket on and zipped up fully.

Its such a pity they took away the numbered seating...that was so much better than the grab a seat system...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I didn't know they even had numbered seating. Anytime I've been there it's always been grab a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I never seen anything but "first come, first served" seating, there or anywhere in Galway cinemas.
    Yeah they chill those rooms fairly good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

They serve pepsi instead of coke - big problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I actually like that, bit of a change....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'd rather the cinema be chilly than hot. I'd be out for the count in a warm dark room. I have a cinema hoodie. I've never really had a problem with the grab-a-seat model. Makes you arrive on time to popular films.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I too noticed the picture quality the last few times I was there. Its really very good. They must have upgraded their projection system as I don't remember it being as good in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

buzz11 wrote: »
    Haven't been to the eye cinema in ages but was there last week to see the Great Gatsby, the picture quality was stunning and I wouldn't normally notice that type of thing but it really stood out as crystal clear.

However the cinema was freezing, even though almost every seat was taken, it remained cold the whole way through.....I'd my jacket on and zipped up fully.

Its such a pity they took away the numbered seating...that was so much better than the grab a seat system...

Probably to stop couples getting too frisky in the back seats ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

This is actually one of the main reasons I go to the Eye.

I'm a Pepsi Max man! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Their screens are all digital now as far as I know. The era of the projectionist is nearing an end in Ireland. They'll have to find other jobs.

The Eye undoubtedly is way better than the IMC. Seats are more comfortable, and the seat in front is further down than the seat in front of you when in the IMC so there are less distractions, even if a really tall person sits there.

However, one thing that has really pissed me off is this. They introduced a policy a couple of years ago that means if you have a backpack you have to leave it in and take a ticket and then collect the bag after the movie. They say it's for health and safety. Yeah right, it's to make sure nobody is sneeking in munchies from outside and not buying their crazily priced confectionary (I'm aware that this is the main way that cinemas make their money but still, the prices are outrageous).

One time, I had a skinny backpack that was tiny. There was very little in it other than some important paper work. I was forced to put it in to the cloak room. Meanwhile, a woman with a MASSIVE handbag was allowed to walk in. I said this to them and they just shrugged their shoulders and said "it's just a handbag". However my bag was literally half the size. The woman must have had a cat or something in hers. It was massive. But she was allowed in and I wasn't.

**** like that would nearly make me stay away on principle alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

biko wrote: »
    I never seen anything but "first come, first served" seating, there or anywhere in Galway cinemas.
    Yeah they chill those rooms fairly good :D

The Eye has always been first come first served but the Omniplex had reserved seating numbers when it first opened. They moved to a mix of reserved seating for the bigger films and first come for the smaller ones and then eventually (after the Eye opened if I remember right) went completely to first come first served.

• Advertisement

Disappointed to see that they are no longer accepting GMIT student cards as a valid form of student ID. Was told that a letter went out from GMIT saying that they were issuing a new form of ID card and any older cards were no longer to be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Disappointed to see that they are no longer accepting GMIT student cards as a valid form of student ID. Was told that a letter went out from GMIT saying that they were issuing a new form of ID card and any older cards were no longer to be accepted.

How are they not valid, the photos are digitally printed onto the card, not as if they are fakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Old GMIT cards don't have expiry dates I think, do they?

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Must revisit the Eye next time. Its rare we go to the cinema, but the last 2 times we went to the IMC/Omniplex and it was awful.
    Batman - Dark knight rises, the volume was way too loud. It hurt to listen to. I had to tell em to turn it down. Sounds like grumpy old man syndrome, but it was seriously loud.

Star Trek - Into the darkness, Screen 1 again and some of their speakers were blown. I told them this, to which the said it might be a problem with the 3D projectors... because 3D projectors project sound? Then ended up stopping the movie, and changing the projector to no resolve but eventually the geniuses figured out it was a bad audio channel and turned that one off. Never ever go back again.

What ever happened to the practice of sending a member of staff into the screen 10 minutes into the movie to check everything's ok? Used to do it in my old cinema back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

The EYE has indeed gone 100% digital, with the option of playing 35mm as well. All screens are equipped with Dolby Digital 7.1 and they've also installed a new 4K ultra high def projector at screen 8 (the big one). You wont get a better picture or sound anywhere on this side of the country.

How are they not valid, the photos are digitally printed onto the card, not as if they are fakes?
    zero19 wrote: »
    Old GMIT cards don't have expiry dates I think, do they?

Far as I'm concerned my card is as valid today as they day I got it. I took a trip to the IMC cinema yesterday, first time in two years and they accepted the card no problem. The Eye staff were quite dismissive when I questioned them of not accepting my card and I may have suffered sever traumatic distress from the way it played out. All I had with me was 4 euro ) living beside the place I usually just bring the price of a ticker and nothing else) and had to search my pockets for money before my friend gave me the difference. Had I not been there with someone else I wouldnt have bothered seeing a film once they refused my student card. I go to the Eye at least twice a week,sometimes 5 times and I've really been put off the place over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bing_IRL wrote: »
    The EYE has indeed gone 100% digital, with the option of playing 35mm as well. All screens are equipped with Dolby Digital 7.1 and they've also installed a new 4K ultra high def projector at screen 8 (the big one). You wont get a better picture or sound anywhere on this side of the country.
    That must have been the one where I saw The Hobbit at 48fps. Seriously cool experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm actually shocked at the account of the Eye being too cold - whilst normally I'm comfortable there, several times in recent memory I've been uncomfortably warm to the point of distraction from the feature presentation. A further plus in the Eyes favour is that the popcorn is always perfectly salted as opposed to the Omniplex/IMC's decidedly bland popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

flazio wrote: »
    That must have been the one where I saw The Hobbit at 48fps. Seriously cool experience.

Actually, the 4k projector didn't go in until after the Hobbit HFR. Imagine that again but with 4 times the resolution! Most movies played/supplied today are at 2K resolution. "After Earth" is starting today and that is a 4K movie so I'm looking forward to having a look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I came into the thread to say the same thing. The only time I drink coke is when I go to the cinema. It's not a proper visit to the cinema unless I have a large coke and popcorn combo which is why I go to the Omniplex.

• Advertisement
Advertisement