Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clone a modded HDD origional Xbox

• 05-06-2013 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Hi I have an original XBox with xecuter 2 mod installed. The HDD is making whining and starting to do my head in. Would I be able to use a Linux type image cloning software to just clone to HDD to a new IDE drive.
    Or could someone help me on where to start in configuring a new HDD with XBMC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

You could use the 'dd' command in linux to copy hdds in linux - its a powerful command (read, very destructive if done wrong). Basically you just need a drive of the same or slightly bigger size.

The other option is just to copy everything off your Xbox1 drive via FTP and setup a new drive from scratch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I presume the original drive will need to be unlocked to be cloned?

EnterNow wrote: »
    I presume the original drive will need to be unlocked to be cloned?

Yup indeed it does - since the console is modded with an xecuter 2 modchip that is an easy task

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Yup indeed it does - since the console is modded with an xecuter 2 modchip that is an easy task

Would you be in a position to point me in the direction of this easy task :D, its been a few years since I did anything with this. The current disk is 120GB I have a nice quiet 400GB one , was there a limit to the size of the drive at one point.

bennyc wrote: »
    Would you be in a position to point me in the direction of this easy task :D, its been a few years since I did anything with this. The current disk is 120GB I have a nice quiet 400GB one , was there a limit to the size of the drive at one point.

If I had your XBox1 and the new drive here I'd so it for yea as I just tried to find a online guide of the method I would use and it seems I would do it the awkward way :)

Lots of guides out there, here be one;
    http://www.techfreaks.org/articles/modxbox2.shtml

My method;
    (careful now, this will only work should you have a hardmod done. Either onboard TSOP flashed or a modchip installed/working)
    - FTP to your Xbox1 and copy;
    --the whole C,E,F,G (if exists) drives - that should be all the installed applications, save games etc.
    - On the xbox, install the app "ConfigMagic"
    - Run ConfigMagic and unlock the HDD
    - Get yourself the ISO Slayers Evox 2.7 boot disc and burn it.
    - physically remove the old HDD, put it somewhere safe but note its jumper setting
    - change the jumper settings of your new hdd (its PATA right?) to match the old HDD
    - physically install the new drive, cable it up.
    power on the Xbox1 and pop in the boot disc
    - ...now this part is hazy BUT Slayers book disc has a menu system to basically partition the drive and install a base install of the MS dashboard and also EvoX. You can just use the menus to partition the drive and to format it. Once that is done I would usually just fire up an FTP app on my PC and start a copying the files I backed up before into the same drive they came from C,E,F etc.
    - Once done, eject that boot disc and reboot the Xbox1.
    - Hopefully you will basically just see the dashboard etc that you had before you started but this time all on another HDD.
    - At this stage I would usually just relock the HDD but I don't think you have to since your prob never gonna go back to the stock BIOS nor play on XboxLive right? ;)

Note: If after doing all the above and it doesn't boot up and gives a funky error, you can just use the boot disc to be able to FTP back into the Xbox1 and play around. Should you borked the Xbox1 during this process, best of luck :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

Drop in the new hdd, load AID/ Hexen or slayers and let it build the hdd for you. Once thats done just set xbmc as the dash, then download latest xbmc3.3 from xbmc4xbox.org and overwrite the old install - jobs done. The limit is 2tb with the right bios.

Advertisement