Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL English Paper 2 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

On Macbeth I answered the imagery question. This was my plan:
    Par 1- Blood after slaying of MacDonwald.
    Par 2- The witches being ugly + their spells
    Par 3 - Blood after Duncan's murder
    Par 4 - Banquo's murder + his ghost
    Par 5 - Nature - darkness, disease, famine etc.

For the "effective" part of the question, I just discussed how it helped the reader see Macbeth's real conscience, his morals, the witches evil power and how Macbeth's tyrannical rule destroyed Scotland and himself?

Does this look okay? I wrote 4 and a bit pages overall and included quotes frequently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I'm relieved to see the most seemed to not write about soliloquays either. Strength in numbers, they can't say we're wrong now! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

For The aul Fist, I didn't want to go with the obvious emotion (love) so I wrote about his manic obsession/mania as the emotion, now I'm worried that I over thought it and will be penalised for not just going with the obvious answer :P

Anyone do anything besides Love for 1(i)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

0mega wrote: »
    I'm relieved to see the most seemed to not write about soliloquays either. Strength in numbers, they can't say we're wrong now! :p

I'm in the same boat! I've no idea how it went really overall, think I did a half decent paper but sometimes what I think is good turns out to be bull and vice versa so no idea where I'm standing after that, oh well it's done now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

SecondMan wrote: »

For the "effective" part of the question, I just discussed how it helped the reader see Macbeth's real conscience, his morals, the witches evil power and how Macbeth's tyrannical rule destroyed Scotland and himself?

Does this look okay? I wrote 4 and a bit pages overall and included quotes frequently?

You put my essay to shame, SHAME!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Wuthering heights - note to examiner - next time you write the single text question, make sure you're sober or perhaps proof read it! What a dumb,poorly phrased question!

After all, you're just messing with peoples futures, that's all... when you decide to through an experiment curveball...

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

i had love then i changed to heart break whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.. also i forgot to tick the box to say i was doing it in english

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Okay I was originally on a high about how great a paper it was.
    Now Im really worried about my Macbeth answer coz I didnt talk about soliloquy's, though I kept mentioning how is words and actions were a result of how his mind was? Hopefully Ill get something for my 4.5 pages of effort..
    Didnt fully understand the Mahon question either but I just kept tying everything I said into the question.. I think I did alright in it but the clarity could be a bit dodge. That was the only part though that I thought went worse than my pre.
    So hopefully something good will come of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

RML wrote: »
    That's the exact thing what I wrote! :P

Boom. Unrequited love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

i had love then i changed to heart break whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.. also i forgot to tick the box to say i was doing it in english

Me too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Prodigious wrote: »
    Me too :D

pick heartbreak or forget to tick the box? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dude Love 1

I'll always remember this moment...
    The supervisor gives out the papers, he gave it to a girl at the back first and when the supervisor had is back turned she checked the paper and she let out a cry 'Plath Get the **** in!' then everyone proceeded in fist pumping and hugging eachother until we were told it was a state exam and we had to stop. Good times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Well that was a rigmarole. I'm happy for ye who did well, someone has to be on the other side of the curve.

http://youtu.be/nQivlAVeP3o?t=56s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Beautiful paper!

MacBeth question, imagery was out so I went with the usual one which was actually quite nice.
    Ambitious but not ruthless
    Soldier in MacBeth meant it was easy for Lady MacBeth to cajole him into murder because worst thing a soldier can called is a coward.
    Guilt after murder.
    Reinvents himself - murderous megalomaniac
    Descent into nihilism.

Theme/Issue question was horrific for a comparative, but do able.

Plath - dealt with 4 poems, nailed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Feeded

NellyDean wrote: »
    Macbeth question was so unfair I thought :( Like I studied really hard but just cos I learned one-line quotes instead of soliloquies I couldn't answer it properly. What do yous think?

Comparative Okay. Was hoping for literary Genre but that was my own fault like.
    Poetry perfect.

That's perfect! Stop worrying...The larger soliloquies are probably more obvious because they're more dramatic but what you did was fine...remember, anything that falls from the mouth of Macbeth is an indication of what's going through his mind...put English away now...Maths (and Geography perhaps) is your next concern!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Feeded

deise_girl wrote: »
    Okay I was originally on a high about how great a paper it was.
    Now Im really worried about my Macbeth answer coz I didnt talk about soliloquy's, though I kept mentioning how is words and actions were a result of how his mind was? Hopefully Ill get something for my 4.5 pages of effort..
    Didnt fully understand the Mahon question either but I just kept tying everything I said into the question.. I think I did alright in it but the clarity could be a bit dodge. That was the only part though that I thought went worse than my pre.
    So hopefully something good will come of it!

That's perfect! Stop worrying...The larger soliloquies are probably more obvious because they're more dramatic but what you did was fine...remember, anything that falls from the mouth of Macbeth is an indication of what's going through his mind...put English away now...Maths (and Geography perhaps) is your next concern!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I basically just did:
    Dark imagery
    Blood imagery
    Animal imagery
    Disease and decay

Hoping that's alright! :/

HugsiePie wrote: »
    You put my essay to shame, SHAME!

It looked better as a plan than it did as a whole unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 _JustGav

anyone notice that 'the fist' was in the shape of the knuckles from a fist? (the first nine lines form the 5 bumps of a fist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Those Macbeth questions were really not what I had expected but I did a fairly ok job on the imagery essay. Mentioned the witches and their appearance and the scenes they are in are usually accompanied by storms, macbeth and his murders, lady macbeth and the "unsexing" scene and finally how scotland is in chaos with horses eating each other and falcon+mouse. Most of these I said would be un natural and thus disturbing to myself and the audience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

you dont need the soliloquys to talk about Macbeth their are tons of other quotes that shows whats in his mind, i talked about his reaction to the witches and when malcolm became the heir of cumberland,all of what he said during his reign basically tells us about his cruelty, the murder of the macduff clan/his best freind banque tons more! the soliloquies where just a little extra.

Well that was what happened to me too! Our plans seem similar but the essay just didn't seem to gel?
    We'll be fine! Would have been nicer of the word "disturbing" wasn't mentioned. That made it all the more tricky I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Sporty_Kate

Lads whats done is done now, i've gotten over it at this stage, there is no getting that paper back.

We still have 6 more subjects left, no point in dwelling on 1! Do your best on the rest!

Well that was what happened to me too! Our plans seem similar but the essay just didn't seem to gel?
    We'll be fine! Would have been nicer of the word "disturbing" wasn't mentioned. That made it all the more tricky I think.
    I just felt that I need to refer to the question a lot and it disrupted the flow of that actual essay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Im sure it was better than mine's. I started with a really vague paragraph on blood, then I talked about how the whole play takes place at night so the darkness represents evil and despair (?), Pathetic fallacy with only referencing the horses eating each other, and then how the images of Banquos ghost and the dagger and the witches apparitions are not real, there images of his mind suggesting Macbeth was mentally imbalance (what?!)

The worst part is that Macbeth was my favourite part on the whole course. :(

WHAT WAS I AT?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Moromaster wrote: »
    I disagree. Perhaps 'ridiculously lucky' per individual student; however, if the entire country studied one poet, that was "predicted", an absurd amount would get A's in their Leaving.

I personally am TOTALLY into Wordsworth, I know all of his poems by heart (Including Tintern Abby); I've probably spent over 20 hours reading his poetry just because it's so awesome. He doesn't come up, well, it looks like I'm linguistically inept and I don't go to college. Great.

O bro, bro, O no bro

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SeanMcG95

The Macbeth character question was great and so was the poetry (the Plath question was basically the same as the one on our pres) :)

Only thing I'm a bit iffy about is the comparative though. I normally do cultural context but I didn't like either of the questions so I did the second theme/issue question instead, but still wasn't overly keen on the "resolution" aspect and ended up writing more for the 30 mark part (2 pages & 3 quarters) than the 40 mark part (2 pages) before I had to move on, and I don't think it tied together very well (at all) either. Still happy enough with the paper overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

omg im just after realising the macbeth question was referring to his mind, i thought it was my mind. so i wrote about how he is bad king, his relationship with lady macbeth etc
    pity because the rest of he paper went so well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Delt with 5 poems in Mahon q, that's plenty isn't it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

0mega wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised at how positively received the paper is! I thought when I first opened it people would be unhappy, despite Plath's appearance.
    It's the first time in at least 3 years where the forum hasn't been full of hysterical weeping after English HL P2! :pac:

Advertisement