Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL English Paper 2 Before/After **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

It's the first time in at least 3 years where the forum hasn't been full of hysterical weeping after English HL P2! :pac:

Hopefully the rest of the exams are a nice as english was. ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 django 123

Out of curiosity did anybody do hopkins? anybody understand what they meant by the fundamental truth part?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

django 123 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity did anybody do hopkins? anybody understand what they meant by the fundamental truth part?

I took it as him moving from praising God to questioning him. Kinda difficult to work it in with style though, but I just kept talking about technical features being more prominent in the likes of Spring, Inversnaid, Felix Randal etc, and the more thematic prominence in No Worst and I wake and Feel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I did bishop :p

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

0mega wrote: »
    I'm relieved to see the most seemed to not write about soliloquays either. Strength in numbers, they can't say we're wrong now! :p
    i prepared an essay on soliloquays before hand and read through it thoroughly before going into the exam so heres hoping mine will stand out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

Am I ****ed if I didn't mention any soliloquies ?

All I talked about was he was full of guilt and paranoia and that lead him to do crazy things

• Registered Users Posts: 26 django 123

_rebelkid wrote: »
    I took it as him moving from praising God to questioning him. Kinda difficult to work it in with style though, but I just kept talking about technical features being more prominent in the likes of Spring, Inversnaid, Felix Randal etc, and the more thematic prominence in No Worst and I wake and Feel...

Brilliant thanks. Did that at the end of the essay thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

plath ftw . she was my second choice , behind mahon but his question was a stinker .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

FrankLamar wrote: »
    Am I ****ed if I didn't mention any soliloquies ?

All I talked about was he was full of guilt and paranoia and that lead him to do crazy things

Based on this thread, more people seemed not to mention them than did mention them.. so hopefully it will be alright. It will probably just appear in the marking scheme as a suggest point that you could have made. That question is definitely open to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

django 123 wrote: »
    Brilliant thanks. Did that at the end of the essay thank god

Also flung in stuff about nature, because he had a fundamental belief about conservation as well. Glad to see I'm not the only one who did Hopkins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

D_s wrote: »
    For The aul Fist, I didn't want to go with the obvious emotion (love) so I wrote about his manic obsession/mania as the emotion, now I'm worried that I over thought it and will be penalised for not just going with the obvious answer :P

Anyone do anything besides Love for 1(i)?

Two people I spoke to after did fear as the emotion, as long as you back it up I'm sure anything goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Was planning on answering bishop so was so happy she came up but really didn't like her question! i did plath instead but so scared because everyone did plath ,stiff competition :P
    The paper was lovely though compared to other years have to admit it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

I tried to be emotional in my Mahon conclusion and said: "Mahon is an inspiration of mine and it upsets me deeply that I have ran out of time to create a more elegant essay on him." I now regret it as the marker might think I'm coming across as cheeky even though I wasnt :(

What did the theme question mean by compare the personal and universal reflections you formed?
    I only discussed them from what I remembered and still focused on personal more than universal.
    What is a universal reflection?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

SecondMan wrote: »
    I tried to be emotional in my Mahon conclusion and said: "Mahon is an inspiration of mine and it upsets me deeply that I have ran out of time to create a more elegant essay on him." I now regret it as the marker might think I'm coming across as cheeky even though I wasnt :(
    Lol, examiners don't tend to be the hypersensitive types you seem to imagine ... and stress levels often lead students to write much stranger things, believe me! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

What did the theme question mean by compare the personal and universal reflections you formed?
    I only discussed them from what I remembered and still focused on personal more than universal.

I just gave a brief description on how the story influenced me and what insight it gave me on my theme etc... For universal I said how it was relevant to the world, for example I did the theme of friendship and I said that Jerry and Alec's friendship had a universal relevance as it showed that even people who were very different (class, religion etc..) could still have a close relationship. I think I brought up sectarian divisions in northern Ireland at one stage, I was pretty tired. :o Didn't even get to look over it, I hope it reads well. :/

I just gave a brief description on how the story influenced me and what insight it gave me on my theme etc... For universal I said how it was relevant to the world, for example I did the theme of friendship and I said that Jerry and Alec's friendship had a universal relevance as it showed that even people who were very different (class, religion etc..) could still have a close relationship. I think I brought up sectarian divisions in northern Ireland at one stage, I was pretty tired. :o Didn't even get to look over it, I hope it reads well. :/

Well I kind of left it out completely because I read the question wrong. Awh well, nothing I can do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

I did hopelessness... is that even an emotion ? :L :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is heartbreak an emotion

NellyDean wrote: »
    I did hopelessness... is that even an emotion ? :L :(

yea sure it is :)

• Advertisement

is heartbreak an emotion

in my opinion if it is something you can feel it counts as an emotion , you can feel heartbreak / heartbroken so i'm sure its fine

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Carrieo

is heartbreak an emotion

Yeah defiantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Carrieo wrote: »
    Yeah defiantly!

Cheers , said he was experiencing the pains of heartbreak and managed to back it up with quotes etc

Anyone do the comprehension on cliff hangers on paper 1 got about six pages out of it (part a) a few people have said to me that the examiner might be a bit annoyed by someone who wrote that much and now i am panicking like crazy any truth to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Yeah that was pretty poorly phrased.

I kinda just talked about the insights I got into my theme on an individual scale and on a broader scale.

Carrieo wrote: »
    Anyone do the comprehension on cliff hangers on paper 1 got about six pages out of it (part a) a few people have said to me that the examiner might be a bit annoyed by someone who wrote that much and now i am panicking like crazy any truth to that?

no..it just depends on the quality of your answer, if you waffled too much it could lower your mark but don't worry about it too much!

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    no..it just depends on the quality of your answer, if you waffled too much it could lower your mark but don't worry about it too much!

Ah grand stuff it wasn't waffle so hopefully im ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

what was the emotion of the un seen poem?? heart break no?? hahaha

0mega wrote: »
    Yeah that was pretty poorly phrased.

I kinda just talked about the insights I got into my theme on an individual scale and on a broader scale.

I think a "discuss the personal and/or universal reflections formed from this theme" would have been more leaving cert.
    Surely I'll be penalised for misinterpreting the question but it's fine!

• Advertisement

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    what was the emotion of the un seen poem?? heart break no?? hahaha

There where a good few emotions that would of been eligible heartbreak is one defiantly

Advertisement