Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL English Paper 2 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    what was the emotion of the un seen poem?? heart break no?? hahaha

I interpreted it as him having a heart attack. :pac: And used fear for the emotion. I'm not worried about the fact I obviously misinterpreted it though because I interpreted the the poem in the mocks in a completely different way than it was intended, and I still got 18/20. :pac: Doesn't really matter what emotion you used as long as you backed it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

is heartbreak an emotion

It had better be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

kevin12345 wrote: »
    I interpreted it as him having a heart attack. :pac: And used fear for the emotion. I'm not worried about the fact I obviously misinterpreted it though because I interpreted the the poem in the mocks in a completely different way than it was intended, and I still got 18/20. :pac: Doesn't really matter what emotion you used as long as you backed it up.

I thought it was a heart attack too! haha but then i thought it was when he was falling in love , sure the unseen is 20 marks nothing to fret too much about

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Carrieo

kevin12345 wrote: »

Yeah exactly! Its personal opinion they put the poem there because they want you to give your own opinion on it unlike mahon plath etc... Thats done in class and notes are provided. Theres no real right or wrong answer as long as you back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Carrieo wrote: »
    Yeah exactly! Its personal opinion they put the poem there because they want you to give your own opinion on it unlike mahon plath etc... Thats done in class and notes are provided. Theres no real right or wrong answer as long as you back up

I never stopped giving my opinion in the Plath question. :L I'd say the examiner's gonna think I'm just self-absorbed after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Carrieo

Slow Show wrote: »
    I never stopped giving my opinion in the Plath question. :L I'd say the examiner's gonna think I'm just self-absorbed after it.

I gave mine too i just meant with the unseen your views are untainted hehe. Yeah my plath essay was very opinionated hope i didn't come across like d**k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

NellyDean wrote: »
    I did hopelessness... is that even an emotion ? :L :(
    thats exactly what i did! hopefully it is

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kenbob

Wrote a beaut of a Plath answer (I think) but ran out of time and didn't get to write a conclusion and I am sickened!!!
    For Macbeth I wrote very detailed stuff about blood imagery and falseness and deception mentioned very briefly very very very briefly about clothing and then through in at the end about the animal imagery and tried to save my ass with "However I do not think these animal images were as disturbing as the ones of falseness and deception and blood were blah blah blah" The comparative I had 40 bloody minutes to go to start it FORTY! and I just started rattling off things about values and attitudes to outsiders in WH and Translations and how Lock wood tried to change in In WH but could not and how Yolland tried to change it in Translations!
    As a whole I made a lovely paper into a pile of poo

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

is heartbreak an emotion

thats what i did so i hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

D_s wrote: »
    For The aul Fist, I didn't want to go with the obvious emotion (love) so I wrote about his manic obsession/mania as the emotion, now I'm worried that I over thought it and will be penalised for not just going with the obvious answer :P

Anyone do anything besides Love for 1(i)?

The emotion that I picked was 'Relief', because when the grip on his heart was loosened he could breathe essentially. You could see it in the "Gasp brightness" bit, and then the contrast of it was in the "Plunging howling into the abyss".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I thought the majority of people who have attempted the Q2? I found it a lot easier and quicker to do, as it was just about the language used and basically it's effect on you as a reader.. Handier than the personal responses I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

I answered cultural context the long question but I think I answered it wrong :( I went on about the different types of cultural context things: women vs men, marriage vs love, gender divide, class conflict, etc and I just compared the texts and said whether or not their values or attitudes to that area could change (eg would the cultural context of marriage being a social promotion be easy to change in Wuthering Heights) Is that what's expected or did I feck up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

ray2012 wrote: »
    I thought the majority of people who have attempted the Q2? I found it a lot easier and quicker to do, as it was just about the language used and basically it's effect on you as a reader.. Handier than the personal responses I thought

I thought the first question was easier, not walk-in-the-park easy but easier. I didn't think I'd have got 3/4 points out of the language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I thought the first question was easier, not walk-in-the-park easy but easier. I didn't think I'd have got 3/4 points out of the language.

I barely read the first question, I usually go for the straight 20 mark question anyways. I was in a rush doing it as I did 2 poetry essays (Hopkins AND Bishop)... but I think I managed 3/4 points on language and its effect..!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

I barely read the first question, I usually go for the straight 20 mark question anyways. I was in a rush doing it as I did 2 poetry essays (Hopkins AND Bishop)... but I think I managed 3/4 points on language and its effect..!
    2 poetry essays?

#areyouwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

Wait wait wait...

You did TWO prescribed poetry questions?!??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I didn't do any of the soliloquys either for the Macbeth question :(
    My competitive was such a rush as I was running out of time I did the long cultural context and at the start I said I agreed but towards the end I was the complete opposite saying they try go against their values and attitudes .. Will I lose marks for it plus I only managed three pages :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

SecondMan wrote: »
    I answered cultural context the long question but I think I answered it wrong :( I went on about the different types of cultural context things: women vs men, marriage vs love, gender divide, class conflict, etc and I just compared the texts and said whether or not their values or attitudes to that area could change (eg would the cultural context of marriage being a social promotion be easy to change in Wuthering Heights) Is that what's expected or did I feck up?

From what I can gather they were asking you: To what extent do certain attitudes effect people without any way of these attitudes changing.
    You appear to have answered it, although if you went too deeply into the story during the "marriage vs love" bit (ie. Paraphrasing about what love means) you could have lost marks. Otherwise you're golden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I did that first CC context too. I took it from the angle of were the values expressed the same as the values that were typical of the time in which they were set. Like one of my points was that life is a commodity so I said it was hard for them to change because of the history of slavery and all that. I didn't agree the whole way through because it said 'to what extent' so I took it that you didn't have to agree the whole way through.

From what I can gather they were asking you: To what extent do certain attitudes effect people without any way of these attitudes changing.
    You appear to have answered it, although if you went too deeply into the story during the "marriage vs love" bit (ie. Paraphrasing about what love means) you could have lost marks. Otherwise you're golden!

Yeah I didn't define anything I just compared the texts really thanks :)
    I did that first CC context too. I took it from the angle of were the values expressed the same as the values that were typical of the time in which they were set. Like one of my points was that life is a commodity so I said it was hard for them to change because of the history of slavery and all that. I didn't agree the whole way through because it said 'to what extent' so I took it that you didn't have to agree the whole way through.

Similar to me so. I also didn't agree the whole way through. There were times when the attitudes could be very easily changed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

I didn't like the paper that much, The macbeth question i had never done an imagery question so i just did the Macbeth Character question which i found confusing i just went through his actions that reflected his state of mind and gave a few quotes and then tried to tie up and answer the question in the conclusion so the answer didn't sound totally irrelevant.

The comparative, I didn't like the look of theme or issue and stuck to cultural context
    Wrote 2 pages for the 30 mark on Casablanca and 4 pages for the 40 mark on Sive and How Many Miles to Babylon.
    For casablanca i highlighted the upper class in Captain Renault and the lower class of the people who he used for sex to gain exit visa's
    In sive and HMMTB I just compared and contrasted Family and Frendships,Jobs and Opportunities that were restricted due to social classes and our which gave the reader and insight and understanding of the times.

I layed into Plath. I got 6 pages of an answer on 4 of her poems.The same type question that came up in the pre that got me 46/50 so i was delighted. Hopefully this examiner will like it.

I had 10 mins for the unseen and Just threw down the emotion of love in conveyed in a different manner. I said he experienced heartbreak and he finds it hard to ever love again. I dont even know >.<
    Then for the personal response, i threw down a bunch of stuff like oh i was in a relationship where me and the girl of my dreams broke up and i was heartbroken, and I felt like this poet xD.

Well I was delighted with the poet's they put up, im feeling sorry for any of the new 6th years. Its going to be hard on them to "predict".
    It's been a good run english, now never to use english ever again :)
    Slan! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Was the question on macbeths character just to do with his soliloquys ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Computer995

I answered the complex character question on macbeth got 2 and a three quarter pages out of it. Did theme or issue 30 mark and 40 mark question got about a page and three quarters each out of it and did plath and got 3 pages.............Can someone please tell me is that enough?:confused: And for theme or issue are you only aloud to write about one issue or theme i only did one issue :confused: and wasn't the wording on theme/issue question very confusing. PLEASE REPLY BACK ASAP, IT'D BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. THANKS !

Generally, it's quality over quantity. Most teachers recommend 4 pages on Single Text, 4 pages of poetry and at least 5 on comparative. Although you never met these guidelines, it doesn't mean that you done bad.

The theme/issue question is answered on one theme/issue but you must explore this theme/issue in different areas in your Text. (eg Power, setting, class conflict, etc)

Daniel7740 wrote: »

No, it can basically be based around anything that affected Macbeth or anything he had done that had something to do with his inner mind. If it wanted just soliloquys then they would have mentioned the word "soliloquys" in the question.

Thanks SecondMan :]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    I hope not I just gave quotes throughout and said how they allow us to enter into Macbeth's mind and experience the sohisticated workings of his though-process etc. probably waffled it bit too much

So would 9 pages be ok for paper 2 ?

SecondMan wrote: »
    No, it can basically be based around anything that affected Macbeth or anything he had done that had something to do with his inner mind. If it wanted just soliloquys then they would have mentioned the word "soliloquys" in the question.

Goin well so :)

• Advertisement

I hope not I just gave quotes throughout and said how they allow us to enter into Macbeth's mind and experience the sohisticated workings of his though-process etc. probably waffled it bit too much

More or less same meself,, got 3 pages without repeating anything so I'm hopin it was alright

Advertisement