Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL English Paper 2 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

ray2012 wrote: »
    I barely read the first question, I usually go for the straight 20 mark question anyways. I was in a rush doing it as I did 2 poetry essays (Hopkins AND Bishop)... but I think I managed 3/4 points on language and its effect..!

I'm sorry can we go back to this?!?!?! TWO essays? Do you have a Sabrina the teenage witch power of stopping time or something???????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

I didn't even get to do my unseen poetry at all!
    Did anyone else struggle with time keeping and not get it finished? Damn all you fast writers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BLiamB

shawnanana wrote: »
    I didn't even get to do my unseen poetry at all!
    Did anyone else struggle with time keeping and not get it finished? Damn all you fast writers :(

I struggled with the time a bit too, I left unseen poetry till last and only got a page done for both of the answers, and it was all waffle :P

My friend didn't get to do the unseen poetry though and I am pretty sure he only got like a small bit done on his other poetry question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 JustForClarity

I had plenty of time at the end - I had about 25 minutes to do the unseen poetry after writing six pages for the comparative, four for Macbeth and just over four for my Hopkins essay.

This may seem a bit trivial, but I've just realised I referred to one of Hopkins' poems as 'No Worse, There is None' when it's actually called 'No Worst, There is None'. Do you think I'd be docked many marks for that? I'm hoping for an A1 since I got that in the mocks and every mark counts after my potentially mediocre creative writing in paper one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Do you think I'd be docked many marks for that?
    No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

NellyDean wrote: »
    2 poetry essays?

#areyouwise
    Wait wait wait...

You did TWO prescribed poetry questions?!??!
    _LilyRose_ wrote: »
    I'm sorry can we go back to this?!?!?! TWO essays? Do you have a Sabrina the teenage witch power of stopping time or something???????????????

I was half way through my Hopkins answer (when I didn't even understand the question properly) and I thought to myself, "I don't think I'm even answering the proper question..", so I left that, did my comparative and Macbeth questions, and went back. I decided to do Bishop, even though it was a sh*te question in my opinion. Did 3 pages on that, then went on to do my unseen poetry question. The examiner must have thought the exam didn't finish until 5:30, so I had an extra 10 mins to go back to my Hopkins essay, and I just added a few quotes and then put a quick conclusion onto it. So both will be marked, and the highest mark I'll get. Ironically, I did the same thing in one of my mocks. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

I answered Plath, Macbeth (i) on his character, Theme/Issue (i) on personal and universal reflections and unseen poem (i)....

Managed 5 and a bit pages on Plath, 5 and a half on Macbeth, 6 and a bit on Theme/Issue and a page on Unseen poem...grand paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

The timing scheme we were told was a mark a minute.. worked like a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

ray2012 wrote: »
    I was half way through my Hopkins answer (when I didn't even understand the question properly) and I thought to myself, "I don't think I'm even answering the proper question..", so I left that, did my comparative and Macbeth questions, and went back. I decided to do Bishop, even though it was a sh*te question in my opinion. Did 3 pages on that, then went on to do my unseen poetry question. The examiner must have thought the exam didn't finish until 5:30, so I had an extra 10 mins to go back to my Hopkins essay, and I just added a few quotes and then put a quick conclusion onto it. So both will be marked, and the highest mark I'll get. Ironically, I did the same thing in one of my mocks. :pac:

That makes sense I suppose but now I'm horrified that ye all got an extra 10 minutes that's not fair!!!! :mad: Not your fault though haha :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I'm really finding these examiners giving more time really unfair.

I'm not losing out on a college place because someone got ten extra minutes to finish their English which got them up a grade and those extra 5 points have me missing out on courses.

Absolute f*cking joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ladymacbeth

• Nice Macbeth Q on his character or his ambition
    • Cultural Context
    • Plath or Mahon

Now if this happens, somebody is DEFINATELY looking out for me up there!!!!!

Told ya :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Told ya :D

ladymacbeth your appearance is a bit late, didn't make it to the leaving cert paper with macbeth no? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

John.Icy wrote: »
    I'm really finding these examiners giving more time really unfair.

I'm not losing out on a college place because someone got ten extra minutes to finish their English which got them up a grade and those extra 5 points have me missing out on courses.

Absolute f*cking joke.

You stay with them aswell so and stop sulking

SecondMan wrote: »
    You stay with them aswell so and stop sulking
    I think his point is that superintendents in a few centres seem to be more lax about time-keeping, judging by comments above ... and he's not in one of those centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Peaceoutdude

Hi,is it possible to fail english? I had a poor paper one.. :/ a poor paper 2 only wrote 3 pages on my comparative... a very bad poetry answer and macbeth (didnt understand any questions) AND didnt answer unseen :'( I would love someone to be honest with me.. :. FML went blank

Hi,is it possible to fail english? I had a poor paper one.. :/ a poor paper 2 only wrote 3 pages on my comparative... a very bad poetry answer and macbeth (didnt understand any questions) AND didnt answer unseen :'( I would love someone to be honest with me.. :. FML went blank

Honestly: Yes, it is possible to fail English. It's also the only subject that can cause you to fail your Leaving Cert according to my teacher. I know that if you do fail it, you're put on a list of illiteracy.

Granted, it's exceptionally difficult to fail and is usually only failed by those who go into the exam hall and sit there doing nothing for the three hours because "it's only English". If you wrote anything down for your answers across both papers, even excluding the unseen poetry, you're fine. There's no way you failed with a three page answer for the comparative alone.

Honestly: Yes, it is possible to fail English. It's also the only subject that can cause you to fail your Leaving Cert according to my teacher. I know that if you do fail it, you're put on a list of illiteracy.

Granted, it's exceptionally difficult to fail and is usually only failed by those who go into the exam hall and sit there doing nothing for the three hours because "it's only English". If you wrote anything down for your answers across both papers, even excluding the unseen poetry, you're fine. There's no way you failed with a three page answer for the comparative alone.

You also fail the Leaving Cert if you fail maths!!

Thank you, But i feel my answers didn't relate to the question at all.. :/ fingers crossed i will get a nice examiner.. :) my comparative was shocking dough..

I think his point is that superintendents in a few centres seem to be more lax about time-keeping, judging by comments above ... and he's not in one of those centres.

Oh whoops sorry.. I just presumed he was! Sorry John.Icy :(

Our English teacher said that you don't actually fail your Leaving Cert if you fail maths, but I don't know. She is sort of righteous when it comes to the subject - often noting that English is always the first exam because it's the most important.
    Thank you, But i feel my answers didn't relate to the question at all.. :/ fingers crossed i will get a nice examiner.. :) my comparative was shocking dough..

Basically, if you can prove that you can form basic sentences, even without relating to the question, you'll pass.

• Advertisement

For higher level? :)

For higher level? :)

If your grammar, spelling and punctuation were mostly correct, then yes.

They mark you're essays in terms of purpose (did you address the question), coherence (natural flow or consistency), language (obvious) and mechanics (spelling, grammar, etc). In the prescribed poetry question which is 50 marks. It is divided into:

* Purpose - 15 marks
    * Coherence - 15 marks
    * Language - 15 marks
    * Mechanics - 5 marks

The guidelines are that if your purpose mark is 13, say, then the most you can get in coherence and language is 13 and so on. So if you don't feel you answered the question, then this will affect your purpose mark which would, in turn, affect the coherence and language mark.

I dunno....... :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I dunno....... :/

Your paper 1 could possibly bring you up? Someone last year from my school failed English (she was a really bad student who was advised to do ordinary). She misunderstood the meaning of the words totally and wrote an essay on something completely different and she still only failed by about 3%.

There's no point in worrying about it now though when it's done just concentrate on your other exams.

Oh whoops sorry.. I just presumed he was! Sorry John.Icy :(

haha no problem.

I have to hand it to my attendant. Amazing so far. It's actually ridiculous how he's started every exam at the exact time it's supposed to, and end it equally on time.

My opinion is still that once time is up, seal up and hand it up. It's apparently common enough to give a few minutes, but the leaving cert is a competition, and if someone can't get it done, tough.

And to the people posting about these chilled out attendants. I'd advise against it. If the wrong eyes sees it it could lead to someone losing their job etc. Although they'd deserve it in my opinion. :D

haha no problem.

I have to hand it to my attendant. Amazing so far. It's actually ridiculous how he's started every exam at the exact time it's supposed to, and end it equally on time.

My opinion is still that once time is up, seal up and hand it up. It's apparently common enough to give a few minutes, but the leaving cert is a competition, and if someone can't get it done, tough.

And to the people posting about these chilled out attendants. I'd advise against it. If the wrong eyes sees it it could lead to someone losing their job etc. Although they'd deserve it in my opinion. :D

Bit harsh. I don't see a problem with letting people finish up their paragraphs/conclusions. Most of the time they'd get all the marks for that part anyway?
    I do agree that 10 minutes is too much however, a but a 1-2 minutes could not do any harm. :o

It's also the only subject that can cause you to fail your Leaving Cert according to my teacher. .
    It is?
    You do?

Can anyone link to actual evidence for the notion that you fail the whole LC if you fail ANY one subject? (as opposed to "my teacher said that the subject which coincidentally she happens to teach is more important than all the others!" :D)

That said, in terms of getting into college courses etc. English and / or Maths are core minimum requirements for many, so in that sense they're more important than an extra subject you're not counting on for points anyway.
    I have to hand it to my attendant.
    Superindendent, or supervisor sometimes, the attendant is the youngster who brings in the tea / coffee and runs errands!

Don't mean to be pedantic, just gets so confusing when people keep calling them superintendent / attendant / examiner ... they're actually 3 separate and distinct roles! :D
    Bit harsh. I don't see a problem with letting people finish up their paragraphs/conclusions. Most of the time they'd get all the marks for that part anyway?
    I do agree that 10 minutes is too much however, a but a 1-2 minutes could not do any harm. :o
    On a human level, I see your point ... but the only way to be fair to all candidates is if all superintendents follow the guidelines and are equally strict tbh.

Superindendent, or supervisor sometimes, the attendant is the youngster who brings in the tea / coffee and runs errands!

haha I had a feeling I was wrong!

That said, I'm sure our attendant is doing a smashing jobs making cups of tea! :D

Good superintending/attending all round here. :p

• Advertisement

On a human level, I see your point ... but the only way to be fair to all candidates is if all superintendents follow the guidelines and are equally strict tbh.

I'm all for being fair! I just think that realistically those 1-2 minutes aren't going to make much of a difference. You usually just tie up loose ends.
    Like I said, the ten minutes was too much.

Advertisement