Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL English Paper 2 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

I agree with the whole extra time thing in that it's unfair. Whether it's two minutes or ten, I know that if I had that extra two mins in paper two I would have been able to finish off my concluding paragraph for the poetry question and could have made a difference with my marks in that question, It annoys me how other schools have an advantage in an exam where the time is already so precious! All superintendents should abide by the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Peaceoutdude

Jade. wrote: »
    Your paper 1 could possibly bring you up? Someone last year from my school failed English (she was a really bad student who was advised to do ordinary). She misunderstood the meaning of the words totally and wrote an essay on something completely different and she still only failed by about 3%.

There's no point in worrying about it now though when it's done just concentrate on your other exams.

I guess, well hopefully I passed.. :( I got a C1 in my mock.. and went completely blank when i sat the paper... arrrw.. aweell:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 JustForClarity

It is?

You do?

Can anyone link to actual evidence for the notion that you fail the whole LC if you fail ANY one subject? (as opposed to "my teacher said that the subject which coincidentally she happens to teach is more important than all the others!" :D)

That said, in terms of getting into college courses etc. English and / or Maths are core minimum requirements for many, so in that sense they're more important than an extra subject you're not counting on for points anyway.

After looking it up, I don't think you can actually 'fail' your Leaving Cert based on one subject. If you did fail English however, you're put on a national list of illiteracy - which isn't going to help you much when applying to colleges or work, so it basically is as severely limiting as failing your Leaving Cert overall.

Failing Maths has no effect on you other than if your course requires it. There's no knockback other than the loss of potential points/not meeting college entry requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LionelNotMessy

Hello , i did HL english paper 2 on Thursday and was just wondering could anyone tell me if i did Theme or Issue correct?7

I said my theme was relationships and only got 4 A4s done. My texts are Sive , How many miles to Babylon and I'm not scared.
    Is it correct , if i talked about the relationships between Spouses and next talked about the restricted relationships?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Hello , i did HL english paper 2 on Thursday and was just wondering could anyone tell me if i did Theme or Issue correct?7

I said my theme was relationships and only got 4 A4s done. My texts are Sive , How many miles to Babylon and I'm not scared.
    Is it correct , if i talked about the relationships between Spouses and next talked about the restricted relationships?

As long as you compare each text to one another then you can use any theme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

... often noting that English is always the first exam because it's the most important.

I had always assumed that English was the first exam because, as far as I know, everybody in the country does it, and you want to have everybody around on the first morning so they'll know where they're sitting and so they hear the supervisor read out the rules and introduce themselves and everything.. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I had always assumed that English was the first exam because, as far as I know, everybody in the country does it, and you want to have everybody around on the first morning so they'll know where they're sitting and so they hear the supervisor read out the rules and introduce themselves and everything.. :P
    You assumed correctly!

While English is obviously a particularly important subject in many ways, we have a teacher talking herself / her subject up in a major way here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

you are actually put on a list of illiteracy if you fail english?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, you're not.

You assumed correctly!

While English is obviously a particularly important subject in many ways, we have a teacher talking herself / her subject up in a major way here! :D

Of course, I know that English isn't the first exam because it's the most important. She definitely does talk up her subjects big time. Then again she's pretty hilarious so I mostly overlook it as joking.

According to my English teacher, yes. Since the reading comprehensions, creative writing and unseen poetry section involve no study, if the student fails they're seen as being unable to comprehend the language and are placed on a list of illiteracy. Where this list goes and who sees it however, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your teacher is spoofing. The SEC would not give out identifying information on any candidate to a third party 'illiteracy list' without the candidate's permission.

An illiterate person would not manage the JC, let alone the LC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Anyone else experiencing "wish i had done the other question" syndrome?? Think I woulda done better on the Imagery essay for Macbeth... and there's a good point I forgot to add in for the one I actually did so gfdhsjkal Oh well over now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

According to my English teacher, yes. Since the reading comprehensions, creative writing and unseen poetry section involve no study, if the student fails they're seen as being unable to comprehend the language and are placed on a list of illiteracy. Where this list goes and who sees it however, I don't know.

What if someone was just genuinely sick on the day of the English exam and ended up failing .. That doesn't make them illiterate!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Straight Talking Online Frank

Of course, I know that English isn't the first exam because it's the most important. She definitely does talk up her subjects big time. Then again she's pretty hilarious so I mostly overlook it as joking.

probably not considering Ireland has a literacy rate of 99 per cent http://www.indexmundi.com/ireland/literacy.html and i assume more than one per cent of people fail english evry year. In other words your teacher is talking out his/her ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

probably not considering Ireland has a literacy rate of 99 per cent http://www.indexmundi.com/ireland/literacy.html ....
    Functional illiteracy, which is the important measure, in Ireland has been variously estimated at between 20% and 25%, which is quite high for a "developed" country.

Functional illiteracy is reading and writing skills that are inadequate "to manage daily living and employment tasks that require reading skills beyond a basic level."

In other words, literacy measures the ability to read / write at all; functional literacy measures the ability to read and write such as to be able to handle normal, everyday tasks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I liked up macbeth imagery to see how wrong my answer was (didn't even read an imagery answer or sudybimagery in the play prior to the exam)

I left out how clothes, dead children and the witches apparition of 8 kings (only briefly referred to their apparitions)
    I also mentioned how some images weren't real, only visible to Macbeth(dagger, banquos ghost and witches apparition [my brief referal]) and how that could put his sanity into question (that sounds far better than how I wrote about it in the exam)
    Am I going to get docked loads?

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I liked up macbeth imagery to see how wrong my answer was (didn't even read an imagery answer or sudybimagery in the play prior to the exam)

I left out how clothes, dead children and the witches apparition of 8 kings (only briefly referred to their apparitions)
    I also mentioned how some images weren't real, only visible to Macbeth(dagger, banquos ghost and witches apparition [my brief referal]) and how that could put his sanity into question (that sounds far better than how I wrote about it in the exam)
    Am I going to get docked loads?

No. The question was open to interpretation in that you could choose any images you wanted. I didn't mention any of that stuff either. For example, I spoke about Lady Macbeth's downfall and the image of her as "a broken woman in the shadow of her former glory". That's just something I made up on the spot and certainly isn't an image I imagine you'd study in a sample essay on imagery, but because I said it was A) an image and B) provocative/effective, I'll get my marks.

English is much more open to interpretation than most students give it credit for. You really can't answer a question wrong unless you completely ignore the task given.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Of course you can study for those sections. Your teacher sounds like a muppet.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Of course you can study for those sections. Your teacher sounds like a muppet.

She's an excellent teacher. I don't think you really can study for those sections either, other than possibly planning a creative writing essay ahead of time and shoving it into one of the questions on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ladymacbeth

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    ladymacbeth your appearance is a bit late, didn't make it to the leaving cert paper with macbeth no? :P

No, I didn't have my own question. But you could have brought me into your answer... Commoner.
    ;)

• Advertisement

She's an excellent teacher. I don't think you really can study for those sections either, other than possibly planning a creative writing essay ahead of time and shoving it into one of the questions on the day.

Well I'm sorry but your teacher is not doing you justice if she's claiming you can't study for those sections of the paper. She also seems to be misinformed if she is claiming students are placed on illiteracy lists if they fail.

You can do a lot of study for those sections - and I am not talking about planning essays and regurgitating them on the day.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Well I'm sorry but your teacher is not doing you justice if she's claiming you can't study for those sections of the paper. She also seems to be misinformed if she is claiming students are placed on illiteracy lists if they fail.

You can do a lot of study for those sections - and I am not talking about planning essays and regurgitating them on the day.

Just out of curiosity more than anything, but how do you study for those sections? Our class never really touched on paper one other than over a two-week period where we did two papers, handed them up and got the results back.

Just out of curiosity more than anything, but how do you study for those sections? Our class never really touched on paper one other than over a two-week period where we did two papers, handed them up and got the results back.

Sorry, just saw your reply now. It's similar to how you'd study for Maths - practice and working on perfecting technique. Practice lots of comprehensions and compositions, figure out your weak points and work to improve them. Figure out what the examiners are looking for (ideally your teacher would instruct you here) and write to address that in every question. Practice timing, read a lot (and I mean a LOT) of books, speeches, articles etc. Take note of how they're structured, what literary techniques are used to good effect, interesting phrases etc. Write, write and write some more, employing these techniques etc. Practice the comprehensions by doing every single one in every paper. Lots of ways to study for Paper 1. Unfortunately, because a lot of people don't realise this, they neglect it and people generally do better on Paper 2 (the paper people tend to get more anxious about!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Just wondering how people fared in this one? I got an A2 myself, reckon I lost most marks on the MacBeth question. Looking forward to viewing the script, doubt I'll appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

B3. In fairness I wasn't too confident walking out of it. For one of my compositions I wandered off and was talking about Biggie and Tupac etc for the music one, and can only imagine what the poor old examiner thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

b3, at first I was uoset, but the more I think I about it, the worse I realise the paper went, I thought it went bad, but not b3 bad, but all those little mistakes and up to one measly grade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

I wasn't too happy with the paper and so, was pleasantly surprised with my A2 (last A I got was in the JC) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

A2 also, was very surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Just wondering how people fared in this one? I got an A2 myself, reckon I lost most marks on the MacBeth question. Looking forward to viewing the script, doubt I'll appeal.

B1 crew checking in. The result I was most pleasantly surprised from, I had not achieved this grade in English since the JC!

I'd hazard a guess at my paper 1 being near flawless, I really enjoyed that exam. I certainly didn't feel paper 2 was answered to a particularly high standard never mind a B1 standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

A1 and the highest I got in senior cycle was like a C1. I almost told them I had the wrong envelope. Guess last minute cramming of Sylvia Plath works wonders. I also really enjoyed Paper 1 though.

Advertisement