Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL English Paper 2 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 talihina

Im doing mahon, bishop, plath, rich, theme of love, literary genre and theme of kingship. Is that enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I was really feeling confident about paper 2, and now I'm severely doubting myself. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

If anyone's fnucked (I love that word) for poetry, my advice is to write out a solid intro today using your notes, a generic one that will cover any question, for each poet, and learn them off. That way you straight away have a good intro, and it reminds you of points you can use in your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

I've Rich, Bishop and Mahon down to a T, bit iffy on Plath but I could wing it, would struggle with Hopkins and Wordsworth though, we've done them to death in class, just never really got their deal (I'm not into the nature/God poets :p ).

Will look over the witches tonight but really banking on power - it's use
    /abuse, Mabeth and Lady Macbeth's relationship, Macbeth's relatability, Banquo.

Will give the comparative a glance over but they're pretty handy - as long as either a nice theme/issue or cultural context Q comes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 OBrienJoey

does anyone have any notes on theme of identity in wuthering heights? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Lads is Social Restriction a Theme or Issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

If Bishop and Kingship come up I will be one happy person! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Does anyone doing I'm Not Scared, Translations and Wuthering Heights have any notes on all three for Theme of Identity? I know a few mentioned you do it above and my teacher literally told us the texts and told us the theme. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Just looking at our mock paper 2 now and it was the ideal paper: Kingship, cultural context, Bishop, Hopkins, Mahon, Shakespeare.

4 out of my 5 poets. I would be over the moon if we got something like this tomorrow evening,

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Know Mahon, Plath, Bishop and could probably do Kinsella at a push. Doing Wordsworth last as he tends to come up when he is on the course, and he isn't a popular choice among students. For Macbeth I should be fine, know most of the quotes etc will just run over paragraph heading for particular questions. Haven't actually revised the comparative since last year, so will do that tonight/tomorrow morning. Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Could I get away with wealth as a theme? Or I could probably twist the bulk of my CC essay to suit power, assuming I can talk a lot about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

Legion. wrote: »
    Know Mahon, Plath, Bishop and could probably do Kinsella at a push. Doing Wordsworth last as he tends to come up when he is on the course, and he isn't a popular choice among students. For Macbeth I should be fine, know most of the quotes etc will just run over paragraph heading for particular questions. Haven't actually revised the comparative since last year, so will do that tonight/tomorrow morning. Can't wait.

Wordsworth has never come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

For the love of God shakespeare please please come up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Does anyone doing I'm Not Scared, Translations and Wuthering Heights have any notes on all three for Theme of Identity? I know a few mentioned you do it above and my teacher literally told us the texts and told us the theme. :o

We didn't cover identity when we did those texts for there's a sample answer in key notes on identity on those 3 if you have it or can get it off someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 talihina

Thoughts on macbeth. Will i get away with macbeth character and theme of kingship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Lads did ye find the paper size wider than normal? i felt i was writing for ages and not filling up as much as i would on a normal foolscap, the linings down the side were tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Would I be okay with Appearance vs Reality, Kingship, Macbeths, And Ambition for The Macbeth question? Obviously no one knows but would you be able to do well of you twisted what you knew from them topics?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Only thing that will get me through this paper is knowing I'll never have to write/talk/think about Macbeth ever! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Would I be okay with Appearance vs Reality, Kingship, Macbeths, And Ambition for The Macbeth question? Obviously no one knows but would you be able to do well of you twisted what you knew from them topics?

Can't help you on that, wondering that myself! Just wondering what points you have for ambition?

Can't help you on that, wondering that myself! Just wondering what points you have for ambition?

Yeah it's so broad!
    Em, I just have that it's his fatal flaw, Lady M fuels it, witches Use him knowing he's ambitious, Acts on it, eventually loses it in the end. You know, the usual crap... :/ you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

just saw this on facebook...

After confirming that Robert Frost, W.B. Yeats, Eavan Boland and Mattias Claus Von Steuben will appear on the 2013 English Paper 2...

...we can now confirm that Sylvia Plath, Gerald Manley Hopkins, Derek Mahon and Elizabeth Bishop will be headlining this year's Oxegen festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

007driver wrote: »
    just saw this on facebook...

After confirming that Robert Frost, W.B. Yeats, Eavan Boland and Mattias Claus Von Steuben will appear on the 2013 English Paper 2...

...we can now confirm that Sylvia Plath, Gerald Manley Hopkins, Derek Mahon and Elizabeth Bishop will be headlining this year's Oxegen festival.

Colm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It's four years ago today that they cocked up our english paper by leaking it accidentally. Caused a lot of fuss and stressed out students. Incidentally it seems a lot of the stuff we did is up again; Macbeth, Keats, Bishop etc. Relax, ye'll fly it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

decisions wrote: »
    Colm?
    Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CoolDudesJunk

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Lads did ye find the paper size wider than normal? i felt i was writing for ages and not filling up as much as i would on a normal foolscap, the linings down the side were tiny.

I think the margin line on the left is smaller than a normal A4 pad, but that's because there's a small margin line on the right too for the examiner.

Hard to tell when you're not used to 2 margin lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

This is the only thing in the LC I'm fearing. If you don't know your stuff, jesus, fire will rain down on you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Brad768 wrote: »
    This is the only thing in the LC I'm fearing. If you don't know your stuff, jesus, fire will rain down on you

+1

Lads, can someone please explain simply what I'm supposed to write about if I'm asked for a personal response to a poet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Yeah it's so broad!
    Em, I just have that it's his fatal flaw, Lady M fuels it, witches Use him knowing he's ambitious, Acts on it, eventually loses it in the end. You know, the usual crap... :/ you?

Nothing yet :p but I'd day I would write about Macbeth, fatal flaw, lady Macbeth and maybe banquo too but I'm not sure.
    We only ever wrote 1 essay do I'm hoping for the best really! I have deception as an essay and then I have banquo, LM, M, kingship and the witches as points. Although I can't remember what any of those points were.. Really hope a key scene or it's appeal in the 21st century don't come up.. Or anything that isn't deception :P

Prodigious wrote: »
    +1

Lads, can someone please explain simply what I'm supposed to write about if I'm asked for a personal response to a poet?

I love the poet x , it made ME think about the theme of x, I really engaged with her as that theme is relevant in MY life etc etc.. Always have at least two sentence with "I" in each paragraph...

• Advertisement

Nothing yet :p but I'd day I would write about Macbeth, fatal flaw, lady Macbeth and maybe banquo too but I'm not sure.
    We only ever wrote 1 essay do I'm hoping for the best really! I have deception as an essay and then I have banquo, LM, M, kingship and the witches as points. Although I can't remember what any of those points were.. Really hope a key scene or it's appeal in the 21st century don't come up.. Or anything that isn't deception :P

You'll be fine i'm sure!
    Is deception the same as appearance vs reality or how do they differ? :D

Advertisement