Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL English Paper 2 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Prodigious wrote: »
    No worst there is none.

"The wind blows softer since his departure"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

You'll be fine i'm sure!
    Is deception the same as appearance vs reality or how do they differ? :D

Well if appearance vs reality came up I would use my deception essay, they're practically the same thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Well if appearance vs reality came up I would use my deception essay, they're practically the same thing!

Cool! I hope that comes up or Kingship!! :D don't want supernatural.... Too flimsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

What do ye write about in yer deception essays (just in-case it comes up, I haven't prepared it)? Just how Macbeth and Lady Macbeth act all innocent to the murders and how it effects them? I'm not too sure how I'd get enough wrote on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MikeRotch65

Im really hoping the Theme of Kingship or a question on Lady Macbeth comes up......and Theme or Issue for the 3 texts : Theme of Isolation FTW!!! and of course Mahon for poetry XD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

How many quotes per poem guys? Two or three? More? :/

How many quotes per poem guys? Two or three? More? :/

2? Depends... Anchor poems maybe 4/5?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shinigamidani

Here's what I have

Poetry: Bishop, Plath, Hopkins, Mahon
    Macbeth: Kingship, Macbeth's character, Lady Macbeth's character
    Comparitive: Cultural Context, theme of exploitation

I'm a bit unsure about Mahon, never really clicked with him. If I blank on him in the exams how do you think my chances are of one of the other three coming up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Sometimes I quote too much, and sometimes too little depending on the poet. I just want to get an idea of what others are doing. Really hoping Plath will come up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

My perfect paper would be Bishop, Macca: vision of evil or the tyranny and effect on Scotland's natural order Q, and then Theme and Issue for the comparative

• Advertisement

Sometimes I quote too much, and sometimes too little depending on the poet. I just want to get an idea of what others are doing. Really hoping Plath will come up now.
    I do about 3 per poem sometimes less sometimes more depending on what they are asking! I also have quotes on what they said in life!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

guys i was wondering, in the poetry essay would it be fine to talk about 3 poems, i know its better to talk about 4 but i have quite a lot prepared for 3 poems

ray2012 wrote: »
    What do ye write about in yer deception essays (just in-case it comes up, I haven't prepared it)? Just how Macbeth and Lady Macbeth act all innocent to the murders and how it effects them? I'm not too sure how I'd get enough wrote on it.

My paragraphs are the witches, Macbeth and lady macbeth, how Macbeth becomes the an expert in deception and then how Malcolm uses deception at the end. Brings in a bit of everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 whateverusay

I'll be sorted if Plath, the relationship between Macbeth and lady Macbeth, and cultural context comes up. What's the chances??

My paragraphs are the witches, Macbeth and lady macbeth, how Macbeth becomes the an expert in deception and then how Malcolm uses deception at the end. Brings in a bit of everything!

Malcolm uses deception? :O I'm just going to stay away from a question on it, hopefully I won't have to answer it! I'd be able to put an answer together but it wouldn't be great at all. I'm hoping for kingship to come up, or else a question similar to "Macbeth is responsible for his downfall".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

I wouldn't really say that Malcolm "uses" deception. Would it not be that Malcolm defeated deception or overcame deception? I dunno..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Ok, just had a look at the witches, could string a few paragraphs together about them but not a hope in hell would I get a full question done on them. If they come up, what's the chances it will be them and another character?
    Or does anyone have any words of wisdom?

Malcolm uses deception? :O I'm just going to stay away from a question on it, hopefully I won't have to answer it! I'd be able to put an answer together but it wouldn't be great at all. I'm hoping for kingship to come up, or else a question similar to "Macbeth is responsible for his downfall".
    I'll go into more detail, well as much a I can remember! :P
    The witches - their appearance (you should be women and yet your beards forbid me to interpret that you are you), their language (fair is foul..).
    Then my next paragraph is that they use deception to wreak havoc in the world of man. They identify his fatal flaw, use it to their advantage.
    My next paragraph is how Duncan is deceived by the thane of Cawdor and then is deceived by Macbeth.
    Then lady Macbeth and macbeth - LM deceives herself by appealing to the forces to evil
    Macbeth - cant remember if I had another paragraph before this but he becomes the expert in deception. Identifies banquo as the cause of the murderers' miseries and misfortunes in life.
    The witches then deceive him again by assuring him security.
    Then Malcolm towards the end deceives macduff (?) to make sure he is a loyal subject. Don't worry I didn't know about this either! :P
    Hope this helps! I got an A- for my essay but my teacher said to include the images of darkness to reinforce deception.

I am actually Fnucked! :( aghhhhhhh
    Please God, Let Bishop or Plath come up as well as Kingship! Please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

For poetry I've covered Plath, Mahon, Bishop and also Rich.
    For Macbeth : Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, their relationship, Kingship, Evil, deceit and betrayal, Macduff and Banquo ! :)

Pray for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aksa94

Would I be covered with character of Macbeth, character of Lady macbeth, good v evil, kingship and relationship. I'm exhausted from study I don't think I can psychically do anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

For poetry, is it enough to know the themes present in each poem plus whatever similes/metaphors are used supported by quotes? Like, you don't need to be able to interpret the whole of each poem do you? :)

I'll go into more detail, well as much a I can remember! :P
    The witches - their appearance (you should be women and yet your beards forbid me to interpret that you are you), their language (fair is foul..).
    Then my next paragraph is that they use deception to wreak havoc in the world of man. They identify his fatal flaw, use it to their advantage.
    My next paragraph is how Duncan is deceived by the thane of Cawdor and then is deceived by Macbeth.
    Then lady Macbeth and macbeth - LM deceives herself by appealing to the forces to evil
    Macbeth - cant remember if I had another paragraph before this but he becomes the expert in deception. Identifies banquo as the cause of the murderers' miseries and misfortunes in life.
    The witches then deceive him again by assuring him security.
    Then Malcolm towards the end deceives macduff (?) to make sure he is a loyal subject. Don't worry I didn't know about this either! :P
    Hope this helps! I got an A- for my essay but my teacher said to include the images of darkness to reinforce deception.

Thanks for this! I haven't learned any quotes really said by/about the witches :confused:

I'm gonna hope I can avoid the question, but if I have to do it, I shall thank you again tomorrow! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Useful quote for Macbeth using deception: 'to hide the business from the common eye for sundry weighty reasons' regarding Banquo's murder. Also his melodramatic reaction following Duncan's murder. And he tells Banquo 'I think not of them' regarding the witches, which is obviously deceptive. And to Lady Macbeth possibly before the banquet scene he advises her to 'make our faces vizards to our hearts, disguising what they are', pretty significant as it echoes her 'Act like the serpent but be the serpent under't' statement earlier in the play, underscoring his descent into evil.

The only thing I have going for me with Macbeth is that I know my quotes really well. :P

Thanks for this! I haven't learned any quotes really said by/about the witches :confused:

I'm gonna hope I can avoid the question, but if I have to do it, I shall thank you again tomorrow! ;)
    From what I can remember:
    Fair is foul, and foul is fair, hover through the fog and filthy air.
    Inhabitants o'the earth
    You should be women and yet your beards forbid me to interpret that you are so
    Security is mortal's chiefest enemy
    Til the wood of birnham rise to dunsinane (could be wrong)
    None of woman born shall harm Macbeth

Not sure if they are of any help, they're just what I remember.. Hoping for deception now. Think I'll have a break down if it doesn't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dani Pacheco

As someone who's just literally gawking at this thread and is beyond the LC stage altogether, I just thought I'd say, sure;y leaving out Ambition as a theme in Macbeth is a fairly big risk? Historically, it tends to be part a) character and part b) theme, so if you are going to cut down, the best way to do it would be to do only characters or only themes. Mixing and matching is playing with fire. Don't bother looking for trends in the poets lads, they're not there! Poetry questions are always pure random. Only thing that could be said would be that at least one female poet always comes up, but they're bound to not put one on sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

How would you guys structure a question on Ambition? I think I have everything else covered. Would you just go through Macbeth and Lady Macbeth's ambition and how it contributes to their downfall and then talk about how Banquo had his own ambition but didn't act on it? Anything else?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Wait, is everyone here learning specifics for Macbeth? Isn't it just better to have a huge knowledge of the text and incorporate everything relevant into your answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

I don't think they'd ask for the witches on their own. Imagine if nature came up? Then we'd all be fnucked :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Kerbstone

Realistically it won't. Macduff is a one-dimensional character, Banquo isn't at all.
    Macduff and Banquo could definitely come up - the importance of minor characters in the play? You're not discussing their characters but their purpose in the play. Same goes for writing an essay on Banquo by himself - it's his role in the play, not necessarily his character.

Advertisement