Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL English Paper 2 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 A Funky Unicorn

Does a female poet always come up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Jade. wrote: »
    We didn't cover identity when we did those texts for there's a sample answer in key notes on identity on those 3 if you have it or can get it off someone!

Thank you! Just got it from a friend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Yes for as far back as i can remember, the same applies for an irish poet.

Someone posted an essay they wrote on Banquo about a week ago, I de-constructed it and built it back up for the A1 :cool:

It does seem pretty tough though, you should try planning one now because I definitely wouldn't have been able to think it up on the day.

If this was my essay that I posted, it got an A2 anyway :o
    I'm hoping for Plath, Banquo and CC

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Informaniac

I dont know about you guys/gals but take a look at the past paper you will see that Adriene Rich has prcatically lived off the papers so I dont think its going to come up for us tomorrow, sylvia plath on the other hand hasnt been up in 6years and she drove people to tears last year when she didnt come up so as the department likes a bit of drama I think they might just chuck it in otherwise I think Bishop and Mahon has a fair chance of coming up........ well if those three dont come up then boy am I in for some long hours of tears tomorrow.
    As for the Macbeth and Comparative there are so many freaking possibilities but I think they will either go with something of hope just like paper one today or go to nature theme..... well we just have to wait and see and goodluck everyone coz we will need it tommorrow.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Tommyrawr wrote: »

So Mahon for Irish poet ??

Kerbstone wrote: »
    Macduff and Banquo could definitely come up - the importance of minor characters in the play? You're not discussing their characters but their purpose in the play. Same goes for writing an essay on Banquo by himself - it's his role in the play, not necessarily his character.

You could be asked on both; my friend got both of them from Key Notes. You could be asked on character or function.

If Mahon doesn't come up il cry , only one I know inside out

For poetry I've covered Plath, Mahon, Bishop and Wordsworth
    For Macbeth : Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, their relationship, Macbeths ruthless ambition, The Downfall of scotland under macbeth and Banquo

im contemplating writing up another character essay on the witches and Duncan as two of my friends have had dreams that duncan came
    on the paper and the whole class was thrown off. ( im superstitious like that)

I may also do a few Kinsella poems to get my back covered. I'm just hoping Plath comes up at this stage.
    Anything else i'm leaving out?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

So Mahon for Irish poet ??

And Kinsella!!!! Judging by this thread everyone is forgetting the poor lad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Generally, female poet, Irish poet, old poet.

So I think it's going to be between these to come up:

Plath/Bishop
    Mahon/Kinsella
    Wordsworth/Shakespeare
    Hopkins

I don't think Rich will come up, or Kinsella. I'd also guess that will be only one out of each pair I've made. Of course I could be completely wrong but it makes sense if you consider the patterns we had. Like if you study both Mahon & Kinsella you would certainly expect a q..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I haven't studied him but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kinsella came up. It'd be just the kind of thing the SEC would do to combat predictability, and poets do come up twice in a row, Yeats did in 2010 and 2011. This is coming from someone who would much rather Mahon came up. :P

As for Rich, if she's on the paper again it'll be a joke, she's never off it! I've left her out anyway and had no scruples about doing so!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Informaniac

Haha If shaeskpeare comes up I wouldnt even glance at it. His poems are really hard to decipher and looking at the past questions it doesnt help but if its ur thing go for it :)

Aksa94 wrote: »
    Would I be covered with character of Macbeth, character of Lady macbeth, good v evil, kingship and relationship. I'm exhausted from study I don't think I can psychically do anymore
    I think you should be grand with what you have, you just need to adapt what you have covered for the questions asked tomorrow.
    and Dont worry you have all of tomorrow morning up til around two, Take a break for tonight if you wrecked out and then tomorrow morning get cracking into it again if you need to.
    Best of luck :)

0mega wrote: »

So I think it's going to be between these to come up:

Plath/Bishop
    Mahon/Kinsella
    Wordsworth/Shakespeare
    Hopkins

I don't think Rich will come up, or Kinsella. I'd also guess that will be only one out of each pair I've made. Of course I could be completely wrong but it makes sense if you consider the patterns we had. Like if you study both Mahon & Kinsella you would certainly expect a q..
    What makes you say Mahon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Did they change the person who writes the English paper last year?

What makes you say Mahon

Kinsella came up last year, there is still every chance he might come up again this year. but Mahon is more likely

Did they change the person who writes the English paper last year?

So i've heard. Well sure whoever she is, she did a nice job on the paper one, hopefully the same will apply to paper two.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

What makes you say Mahon

Kinsella came up last year, don't think Mahons been up since 2008? I'm not sure. Either way I've done both :)

Macbeth could be really awful, I have a good knowledge of the text but we've never done questions solely on ambition, the witches, or deception/equivocation and I don't really want to start now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

So i've heard. Well sure whoever she is, she did a nice job on the paper one, hopefully the same will apply to paper two.

I'm thinking the opposite, as paper one was more difficult than usual - perhaps paper two will be nicer? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

0mega wrote: »
    Until the SEC / question-setters, in their quest to make the papers less predictable, change that pattern ...

Could this be the year?

I have no idea, do you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

I really hope Bishop and/or Mahon come up, poetry is my worst part of the course :/
    Macbeth, I can answer questions on tyranny, Macbeth, LM, the witches and kingship.
    Cultural context I'm hoping for the theme question for isolation

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Folzy

What should i revise for Macbeth?? Havent looked at it since about February

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dani Pacheco

The "how long has it been since someone came up" argument is irrelevant guys. Different selection of poets on each year, some are on sporadically, some most of the time, some for a couple of years at a time.

Wouldn't risk only doing one of the Comparative study topics either. Anyone who hasn't CC done, I'd say do it quickly as a back-up. It's all extremely simple stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Sites reporting that english paper 2 has been leaked :eek:

http://www.donegaldollop.com/2012/06/english-paper-2-leaving-cert-exam-leaked/

:pac:

Best of luck to everyone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dani Pacheco

Folzy wrote: »
    What should i revise for Macbeth?? Havent looked at it since about February

Hail Mary, full of Grace. Our Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eoghaanM

How likely is Kingship, Bishop or Mahon and Cultural context to come up?

N64 wrote: »
    Sites reporting that english paper 2 has been leaked :eek:

http://www.donegaldollop.com/2012/06/english-paper-2-leaving-cert-exam-leaked/

ahahaha You had me worried, wouldnt have trusted anything that came out of donegal anyhow, since Daniel O Donnell came out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

plath is a strong contender, its her 50th anniversary and yeats came up when it was his anniversary :P fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Mahon
    Bishop
    Shakespeare
    Plath

Relationship between Macbeth + LM

Theme or Issue

Please God!!

Advertisement