Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL English Paper 2 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

eoghaanM wrote: »
    How likely is Kingship, Bishop or Mahon and Cultural context to come up?

Kingship - impossible to call. The mock companies seem to think it would anyway, but seeing as it kind of came up before with the 'use and abuse of power', I think something that has never been asked before like the theme of Deception is more likely. But still a possibility.

Bishop/Mahon - I'd be surprised if neither came up but you can't bank on it.

Cultural Context - I expect to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eoghaanM

0mega wrote: »
    Kingship - impossible to call. The mock companies seem to think it would anyway, but seeing as it kind of came up before with the 'use and abuse of power', I think something that has never been asked before like the theme of Deception is more likely. But still a possibility.

Bishop/Mahon - I'd be surprised if neither came up but you can't bank on it.

Cultural Context - I expect to come up.

Have Lady Macbeth and Macbeth relationship covered as well and that seems to come up regularly. I might do a crash course on Plath tomorrow morning to be safe... well safer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

If Mahon or Plath don't come up I'm royally fcucked. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bigt132

For the poetry essay are you better off just generally talking about the poet's work throughout with respect to different themes and imagery etc. or going poem-by-poem? cos I just read exam guidelines which stated that it's best to avoid going poem by poem but that's all that I've ever done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

bigt132 wrote: »
    For the poetry essay are you better off just generally talking about the poet's work throughout with respect to different themes and imagery etc. or going poem-by-poem? cos I just read exam guidelines which stated that it's best to avoid going poem by poem but that's all that I've ever done?

For some questions it's easier to do poem-by-poem (for example with some theme questions), but with some other questions it's better to not do it poem-by-poem (primarily style based questions or parts of questions). Avoiding poem-by-poem is the best thing to do, but saying that, it's perfectly acceptable and if well written can still achieve full marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

It's weird that (almost!) everyone wants Mahon/Plath to come up while I'm here hoping Shakespeare/Hopkins come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

At this stage, I'd do whatever works for you and what you're comfortable with. No point changing it up and perhaps not constructing your answers as well as you normally would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

ray2012 wrote: »
    It's weird that (almost!) everyone wants Mahon/Plath to come up while I'm here hoping Shakespeare/Hopkins come up!

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

For the love of god, please let Wordsworth come up!

Only poet I genuinely enjoy and can easily write about :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

curly135 wrote: »
    For the love of god, please let Wordsworth come up!

Only poet I genuinely enjoy and can easily write about :pac:

What?! I think only 1 person in my class is doing Wordsworth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Poem by poem is perfectly fine, whatever you're most comfortable with! I did my lc last year, did it poem by poem and did very well in the poetry section (viewed my papers after) so don't worry about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

ray2012 wrote: »

I agree. While I'd love a Plath/Bishop question, I actually think I'd prefer a Hopkins/Shakespeare question because not as many would go for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LCchancer

LADY MACBETH RUTHLESS PLEASE:(

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

plath, shakespeare or wordsworth/bishop and were away laughing on a fast camel :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    So i've heard. Well sure whoever she is, she did a nice job on the paper one, hopefully the same will apply to paper two.

Last years questions on hamlet were pretty nice one was on hamlet himself and the other was corruption..maybe she'll be nice to us! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

HugsiePie wrote: »
    What?! I think only 1 person in my class is doing Wordsworth

I'm big into music, and a lot of his poems have kinda musical qualities, there's a rhythm to them, as well as the rhyming schemes, so I enjoy them that way :) Plus, there isn't all that much they can really ask about in the exam, most of the questions on his poems are about nature so you can be fairly prepared for them :pac:

I've always done poem-by-poem, there's nothing wrong with it and I enjoy it as it links to the Comparative style (my strongest section). I got 47/50 in my Pre with this method so don't fret :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Does anyone have any notes/essays/links to material on Lady Macbeth and Macbeth as characters? Surprisingly, I just have very little on her contribution to his downfall... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Think I'm ready. Plath, Bishop and Mahon nailed and ready to go. Unsureif I should do another poet, what do you guys think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I'm praying for identity in the comparative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Elceeney

Does anyone have any notes/essays/links to material on Lady Macbeth and Macbeth as characters? Surprisingly, I just have very little on her contribution to his downfall... :/
    Can give you "Macbeth driven on by ruthless ambition and tortured by regret" if you like?

Elceeney wrote: »
    Can give you "Macbeth driven on by ruthless ambition and tortured by regret" if you like?

Please, i'd be ever so grateful! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Think I'm ready. Plath, Bishop and Mahon nailed and ready to go. Unsureif I should do another poet, what do you guys think?

I'm in same position except Hopkins instead of bishop , I think at this stage just go with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Those of us banking on less than five poets (I have three done in detail), for the love of God at least glance over 2 more (or however many you need to total 5) at some point tomorrow just in case.

If you had the names of a few poems they've written with one or two techniques that they liked to use, you could at least bullshit your way through it and who knows, you might get 10-20/50 for effort, which is a lot better than the 0 you will get if your poets don't come up and you leave it blank. :P

We all know it's too late now to have 5 done in sufficient detail if you haven't already got most or all of them done, but the least we could do is prepare for some damage control, so we don't start crying or whatever when we flip open the paper tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jamesunited

Okay I've Plath , bishop and Wordsworth
    Lady Macbeth and kingship
    And cultural context to a tee and also theme or issue with cultural context. Tomorrow what's my best bet on which one to start with comparative cos I know it and try wing it with poetry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Can Plath come up on the ordinary paper and not come up on ours?

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Can Plath come up on the ordinary paper and not come up on ours?

yeah.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Those of us banking on less than five poets (I have three done in detail), for the love of God at least glance over 2 more (or however many you need to total 5) at some point tomorrow just in case.

If you had the names of a few poems they've written with one or two techniques that they liked to use, you could at least bullshit your way through it and who knows, you might get 10-20/50 for effort, which is a lot better than the 0 you will get if your poets don't come up and you leave it blank. :P

We all know it's too late now to have 5 done in sufficient detail if you haven't already got most or all of them done, but the least we could do is prepare for some damage control, so we don't start crying or whatever when we flip open the paper tomorrow..

Good advise. I banked everything in 2009 on Bishop and to a lesser extent Montague and I got lucky. Thinking back on it, it was an awful foolish thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Plath, Bishop, Wordsworth, Rich, Kinsella. Hopefully one of the first three!

Macbeth: Character of Macbeth, character of Lady Macbeth; their relationship; Banquo; The Witches; Theme of Kingship; Theme of Evil

Will I be okay with them?

Cultural context and/or theme/issue is grand. Though nobody's tipping the latter so it'll probably be a cultural context day tomorrow.

Also: whoever responded to me about Banquo and Macduff: okay. I've never seen a question asking for roles played in the drama by minor characters, though I wouldn't call Banquo a minor character! I think there is enough depth to the character of Banquo to have a singular question on him, I don't think the same can be said for Macduff.

ALSO: whoever just said they don't think kingship will come up because power/abuse came in a while ago... They're two different themes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I've always done poem-by-poem, there's nothing wrong with it and I enjoy it as it links to the Comparative style (my strongest section). I got 47/50 in my Pre with this method so don't fret :)

Hey guys! :) I did the LC HL paper last year and answered on Rich (HON RICH). Discussing poem by poem is perfectly fine, I did this and to some people's surprise, only discussed 3 poems in my answer (Aunt Jennifer's Tigers, Living in Sin and Power) and got 50/50 (100%) in the poetry question and an A1 overall!

Quality is always appreciated over quantity, so take your time and plan out your answer by constantly referring back to the question asked and ye'll do excellently! :)

Advertisement