Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL English Paper 2 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

To be honest, while that's nice and all, I think most examiners do go on the basis that you're meant to answer on 4 or 5 poems. So I'd say just do that to be safe! Most people wouldn't have enough detail in just 3 poems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Canard wrote: »
    To be honest, while that's nice and all, I think most examiners do go on the basis that you're meant to answer on 4 or 5 poems. So I'd say just do that to be safe! Most people wouldn't have enough detail in just 3 poems.

Perhaps mine was an exception, I did have a lot of detail though and would've written about a 4th if I had time, but alas... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

My teacher is one of the supervising examiners in the country, and she's always told us that you can get full marks from writing an answer on two poems as long as you answer the question backing up your points with quotations etc. so yeah, it's definitely not necessary to write about 5 or 6 :) Personally, I usually only talk about three...especially with the likes of Shakespeare because his poems more or less say the same thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

HPMS wrote: »
    My teacher is one of the supervising examiners in the country, and she's always told us that you can get full marks from writing an answer on two poems as long as you answer the question backing up your points with quotations etc. so yeah, it's definitely not necessary to write about 5 or 6 :) Personally, I usually only talk about three...especially with the likes of Shakespeare because his poems more or less say the same thing!

Theoretically. If you're amazing at English. The reason people are advised against doing it poem by poem is that you have a high chance of falling into the trap of summarising the poems and not answering the question properly.

Prodigious wrote: »
    Theoretically. If you're amazing at English. The reason people are advised against doing it poem by poem is that you have a high chance of falling into the trap of summarising the poems and not answering the question properly.

Funny you should say that because my teacher said that I don't summarise them enough! :P He said you can't assume the examiner knows the poem (even though they do) and you should have a one sentence overview of each poem you study :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Funny you should say that because my teacher said that I don't summarise them enough! :P He said you can't assume the examiner knows the poem (even though they do) and you should have a one sentence overview of each poem you study :)

That contradicts everything I've ever been told. :eek: We were always told to assume they do know the poem as they're teachers, and only to use what's relevant to the question. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Slow Show wrote: »
    That contradicts everything I've ever been told. :eek: We were always told to assume they do know the poem as they're teachers, and only to use what's relevant to the question. :/

Perhaps, I'm misunderstanding but I would agree that you do assume the examiner knows the poems, that should not stop you from outlining the main themes of the poem you are speaking about, which some might call a summary I suppose, at least that's what I'll be doing.

I think it's more of "assume they don't know the poem by name" sort of thing. For example, "In Child, Plath discusses how she feels inadequate to provide fir her child" And then the examiner would be like "Oh yes, I know that one" Like a conversation maybe?
    He just said a brief one sentence overview contextualises your discussion. (If doing poem by poem of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Oh right yeah I'm doing theme by theme anyway (probably, question-dependent) and summarising the poems would make it all a bit messy I think, yeah that makes sense for poem by poem. :p Although if I should be doing it while doing theme by theme now's the time to tell me! :P

Oh right yeah I'm doing theme by theme anyway (probably, question-dependent) and summarising the poems would make it all a bit messy I think, yeah that makes sense for poem by poem. :p Although if I should be doing it while doing theme by theme now's the time to tell me! :P

Never done it that way but I'd assume it'd be very messy and you wouldn't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Anyone a rough idea of how often we should be quoting in the Macbeth essay? I know it is not as necessary in the comparative and is obviously needed in the poetry, but I have always had a problem memorising Shakespearean texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

I know it is a bit late but just a word of advice; do not go into that exam hall with just one poet. If you are, then go look over another poet who is likely to come up and learn some quotes! I went into the exam last year knowing only Plath and was royally screwed over (albeit I only wanted to pass English but ended up with exactly 70% - a B3). However, I did know 3 of Rich's poems off by heart because I learned them in September when I was still enthusiastic and was able to make some attempt and got 24/50 from 2.5 pages of the worst essay I have ever written! It was the difference between a C2 and B3! :P So whatever you do, do not leave that question blank and make some kind of attempt. Just make sure the quotes you use are right and you got the name of them poems that you are referring to right and refer back to the question all the time! If you are desperate, be blunt like I was but atleast you will get some marks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

andrew369 wrote: »
    Anyone a rough idea of how often we should be quoting in the Macbeth essay? I know it is not as necessary in the comparative and is obviously needed in the poetry, but I have always had a problem memorising Shakespearean texts.

If you have trouble memorising I would recommend trying to memorise what you can and try to make references to occurrences in certain scenes in the play, that way you can provide an example of a scene that can back up a point that you are making in the exam.

fishmahboi wrote: »
    If you have trouble memorising I would recommend trying to memorise what you can and try to make references to occurrences in certain scenes in the play, that way you can provide an example of a scene that can back up a point that you are making in the exam.

I know the scenes of the play, themes and possible question layouts really well, I just always had a bit of a problem with remembering direct quotations from the play.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

I know the scenes of the play, themes and possible question layouts really well, I just always had a bit of a problem with remembering direct quotations from the play.

That's what I mean, if you have trouble remembering quotes you can just make references to certain occurrences in those scenes that are relevant to the point that you are making in your essay about Macbeth.

fishmahboi wrote: »
    That's what I mean, if you have trouble remembering quotes you can just make references to certain occurrences in those scenes that are relevant to the point that you are making in your essay about Macbeth.

Ah perfect then, thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

What did that YouTube guy predict for Macbeth?

What did that YouTube guy predict for Macbeth?

Evil and Ambition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

How many quotes should I have per poem?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Canard wrote: »

Quality over quantity ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

could you bring up a blend of kingship and deception into evil and ambition? they're the only two essays I've memorized,
    also you know when in the poetry question they ask you do you agree that x's poetry is full of imagery..... Do you wriite the same way as in poem by poem or do you have to concentrate just on the language and how it strikes images?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Jade. wrote: »
    How many quotes should I have per poem?

As many as are relevant to the point your making, make as many as you can. If you make a point and can make it up with a quote, do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jamesunited

Evil and Ambition

Who is YouTube guy ha

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

I'm in deep need of Mahon to come up. I know him VERY well, followed by Plath then Bishop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Imagine if they threw in a question where you had to compare the poetry of Bishop and Plath, it would truly be a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ladymacbeth

• Nice Macbeth Q on his character or his ambition
    • Cultural Context
    • Plath or Mahon

Now if this happens, somebody is DEFINATELY looking out for me up there!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I only have Shakespeare and bishop, im gonna do plath and rich now and hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

• Nice Macbeth Q on his character or his ambition
    • Cultural Context
    • Plath or Mahon

Now if this happens, somebody is DEFINATELY looking out for me up there!!!!!

not duncan anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Plath/ mahon ( I hope mahon )
    Ambition/ a general question in macbeth
    And
    Theme/ issue in the comparative

PLEASE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

This exam is a joke. Students can spend two years working their @sses off, then one waster learns one poet/theme and it comes up; the guys who worked get unlucky and a question they don't like comes up (Rich, Kinsella, Shakespeare and Hopkins aye!).

Who thought this was a good idea?

Advertisement