Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL English Paper 2 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Moromaster wrote: »
    This exam is a joke. Students can spend two years working their @sses off, then one waster learns one poet/theme and it comes up; the guys who worked get unlucky and a question they don't like comes up (Rich, Kinsella, Shakespeare and Hopkins aye!).

Who thought this was a good idea?

That's the leaving cert in general

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

This exam is a joke. Students can spend two years working their @sses off, then one waster learns one poet/theme and it comes up; the guys who worked get unlucky and a question they don't like comes up (Rich, Kinsella, Shakespeare and Hopkins aye!).

Who thought this was a good idea?

The student who studied one poem and theme would have gotten ridiculously lucky, it is unlikely that this would happen to any other student, and thus this is why it is important for students to study multiple poets and take note of tips given to them by their teachers because if they do otherwise they will have to either hope the small amount of work they have done pays off in the exam, their random waffling can get them some decent point points or should their small amount of work grant them nothing, they may as well just give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Are you allowed highlight your quotes or write them in a different colour for poetry, Macbeth and comparative?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Are you allowed highlight your quotes or write them in a different colour for poetry, Macbeth and comparative?

I don't know, I normally just put my quotes in brackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

fishmahboi wrote: »
    The student who studied one poem and theme would have gotten ridiculously lucky, it is unlikely that this would happen to any other student, and thus this is why it is important for students to study multiple poets and take note of tips given to them by their teachers because if they do otherwise they will have to either hope the small amount of work they have done pays off in the exam, their random waffling can get them some decent point points or should their small amount of work grant them nothing, they may as well just give up.

I disagree. Perhaps 'ridiculously lucky' per individual student; however, if the entire country studied one poet, that was "predicted", an absurd amount would get A's in their Leaving.

I personally am TOTALLY into Wordsworth, I know all of his poems by heart (Including Tintern Abby); I've probably spent over 20 hours reading his poetry just because it's so awesome. He doesn't come up, well, it looks like I'm linguistically inept and I don't go to college. Great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

I do that too but was thinking maybe I should write them in a different colour so they would stand out more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

I disagree. Perhaps 'ridiculously lucky' per individual student; however, if the entire country studied one poet, that was "predicted", an absurd amount would get A's in their Leaving.

I personally am TOTALLY into Wordsworth, I know all of his poems by heart (Including Tintern Abby); I've probably spent over 20 hours reading his poetry just because it's so awesome. He doesn't come up, well, it looks like I'm linguistically inept and I don't go to college. Great.
    So what you're saying is that it's cool if the one poet you studied in depth comes up because you're fascinated with him, but if the one poet somebody else studied comes up which was chosen because s/he found said poet easy, it's unfair?

Fair is foul, and foul is fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

:eek: i would honestly be happy with only 50 marks from paper 2, Mind is going blan right now . :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aksa94

Haven't looked over it, everyone assumes cultural context

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I am, find it way easier than CC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

So what you're saying is that it's cool if the one poet you studied in depth comes up because you're fascinated with him, but if the one poet somebody else studied comes up which was chosen because s/he found said poet easy, it's unfair?

Fair is foul, and foul is fair!
    The exams should be representative of how much work the student has put into it. A mastery of Romantic Era poetry with in depth knowledge would be far superior than knowing KEY QUOTES from 4 other poets that you kindasortadontreally understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

'I am myself! That is not enough!'

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Well it is nearly time to face our doom ( hopefully it is a nice paper). Last 20 minutes of learning then off to school!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dani Pacheco

Some of the "my teacher said" type advice given here is utterly horrendous advice! Someones teacher told them they could get through an essay on a poet using two poems?...well I fear for you good sir, you don't seem to have a great teacher or else you completely misinterpreted what they said.

Plath came up anyway so you lads can all rest easy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Some of the "my teacher said" type advice given here is utterly horrendous advice! Someones teacher told them they could get through an essay on a poet using two poems?...well I fear for you good sir, you don't seem to have a great teacher or else you completely misinterpreted what they said.

Plath came up anyway so you lads can all rest easy now.

Makes no difference to me as I sat the leaving last year but I did get 50/50 in my Adrienne rich essay last year and I only used 3 simple poems in my discussion. 2, possibly not, but they seemed to appreciate my detailed answer on 3 poems!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

well Elizabeth Bishop came up!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Anyone know the full list of poets who came up? The news is a bit slow leaking out this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Sure they'll be barely out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Colourmebright

Anyone know the full list of poets who came up? The news is a bit slow leaking out this year...

Bishop,Plath, Mahon and Hopkins :) All mostly based around language questions, except Mahon who was imagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jamesunited

Plath Mahon bishop and hopkins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Thanks you guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Plath you sexy bitch, only poet I studied, I got lucky to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Did not like that Macbeth question, other then that it was a nice paper I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

What was the Macbeth question?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Leahxo

That paper was just..... amazing.

Ended up ditching Plath because I figured everyone would write about her, went for Bishop instead! Hope it went well for everyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Woo Mahon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Couldn't have been a nicer paper if I'd written it myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I don't think that paper could have been nicer except for the unseen poem .. Like come on where was the 20 mark personal response!
    Anyways bishop came up :D and the Macbeth character must have been the only one I didn't look over as I thought sure they'd never be that nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Really nice paper, only part I wasn't mad on were the Macbeth questions but the rest was grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Bishop,Plath, Mahon and Hopkins :) All mostly based around language questions, except Mahon who was imagery.

Plath was imagery too ;)

Advertisement