Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL English Paper 2 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mad Martina

What came up in Macbeth and the comparative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Couldn't be any happier! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

Comparative was balls. Did the theme question only to realise my theme was completely unsuited to the fecking question. Managed six pages, but not sure about the quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

Open cultural context, Plath, Mahon and Macbeth character essay, bloody hell that was easiest paper 2 I think I have ever seen. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Don't know what to think of that paper.. Macbeth went ugggghhhh ok. I done the imagery question and spoke about blood, nature and the witches.. Wrote 4 pages in total.. How does that seem? Comparative was good.. Done cultural context the long question - I just kept comparing and deciding whether it would be easy or not to change their "values and attitudes" on each topic (eg marraige, comparison of marraige and then whether or not a certain text could change their views on marraige- does this seem okay?) Done mahon.. Kind of wrote a load of dung but I knew a load of quotes and the meanings of the poems.. What do you guys think? :(

• Advertisement

I didn't like the Macbeth question. The "character" question require a lot of knowledge of the soliloquies and the other was on imagery? I squeezed the imagery for three pages but it was horrible.
    Plath- amazing.
    Comparative theme worth 70 - amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Everything was great. Some wording was abit offputting though.
    Both mahon and Plath came up, the two most people were banking on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Don't think anyone could complain about that, it was a lovely paper! I just wish I had been better prepared now, could have aced it. Probably B'd it, sure that's all I was looking for anyway!

The three poets I'd done all came up! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jamesunited

Where's the next thread for geography haha, history is gonna be a bad one

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

Macbeth question was so unfair I thought :( Like I studied really hard but just cos I learned one-line quotes instead of soliloquies I couldn't answer it properly. What do yous think?

Comparative Okay. Was hoping for literary Genre but that was my own fault like.
    Poetry perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Theme / issue
    Imagery in Macbeth
    Plath

...it's my lucky day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Did we have to mention the soliloquies? Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

Lads that was terrible.

I wrote about 5 pages in all.
    One page for Macbeth, three for comparative, one for unseen and I didn't even attempt the prescribed poetry

Did class yesterday though so I'm expecting like a D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TentacleCubes

The paper was gorgeous, but I ran out of time with only a page and a half on Plath. Welp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Never did I think I'd see the day when I could answer all 4 poetry questions. Did that really just happen?

I loved the imagery question in Macbeth, it was the last essay I'd written on the play about 2 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Lovely paper, and as far as paper 2's go, it could have gone either way :)

Imagery in Macbeth, lovely question. The unseen poem was pretty handy as well, might lose a few marks here and there in the comparative (cultural context 70 mark) and the Plath essay, but I'll be hoping for a high B :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

\o/

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

"The Fist". :/ The worst 2 and a half pages of b*ll I've ever write.
    Other than that, I'm pretty happy.
    Antigone was a perfect question. I had learnt an essay about the role of the Chorus and what comes up....The various roles of the Chorus. ;)
    Comparative was meh. I can't remember what I wrote :/
    Poetry was good. 3 of the poets I'd learned showed up. I feel bad for those who didn't get any they wanted. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Loved the paper to be honest! The Macbeth question was nice! I talked about the soliloquys, his relationship with lady Macbeth, and the effect his actions had on his mind (like the banquet scene/false sense of security with the witches prophecies and all). Would that do?

I didn't like the wording of the Theme/Issue question, but I think I handled it ok!

Loved the Mahon Q. Studied 5 poets, 4 came up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

I'd say everyone had to be delighted with the poets that came up. My Macbeth character question was absolute balls, only got about a 2 pages out of it. English isn't my strongest subject anyway so that was a big weight off my shoulders. Kind of feel a bit more relaxed about the Leaving Cert now. English was the only thing I was fearing and I'd be happy with a C in that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

Wait, did we have to mention the soliloquies? I just used one line quotes that showed the complexity of his character like "I have no spurs to prick the side of my intent, but only vaulting ambition" etc now I'm worried because I thought I wrote a fairly good essay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

I suppose that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Feels good man.

Hoping to get a B3 out of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

HPMS wrote: »
    Wait, did we have to mention the soliloquies?!
    Yeah I think so. I didn't do that question but i'm sure they were meant to be what the answer was built around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

HPMS wrote: »
    Wait, did we have to mention the soliloquies? I just used one line quotes that showed the complexity of his character like "I have no spurs to prick the side of my intent, but only vaulting ambition" etc now I'm worried because I thought I wrote a fairly good essay!

No, if they wanted you to write about soliloquays only, they would have specified. It was a Macbeth character question.

Seeing as they were giving a very specific question with imagery, they had to leave the other one open! I wrote 6 pages about the development of his character, flaw of ambition, externalisation of his guilty conscience, traces of humanity.. I didn't even mention the word soliloquay! Should be fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

I was delighted with the comparative! got 5 pages
    Ended up doing Plath which i was happy about, only wrote 4 pages though...
    Macbeth ugghh I don't know really. Just talked about apparitions, soliloquys, And just stuff he says??? Got 4 on that though :)
    Unseen, okay as usual But i didn't even fill a full page with the full question! :/

Timing was my major problem in the paper! It was all so rushed!! My hand is in bits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Comparative: 70 mark theme question: Boom.
    Macbeth: Images ?? Said that they are essential for: plot development, insight to characters' minds, supernatural element
    Plath: Split her "intense emotions" into Neutrality and Inadequacy, and linked each to a provocative image from three different poems.
    Unseen: Said the feeling was despair due to unrequited love. Personal response last line: I respected him for not giving up.

Overall? Hoping for B1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

0mega wrote: »
    No, if they wanted you to write about soliloquays, they would have specified.

Seeing as they were giving a very specific question with imagery, they had to leave the other one open! I wrote 6 pages about the development of his character, flaw of ambition, externalisation of his guilty conscience, traces of humanity.. I didn't even mention the word soliloquay! Should be fine. :)

Okay, that's good! Sounds like you wrote the same as me...I just used quotes that he has said that supported his guilty, ambition, the development of his character from brave soldier to murdering tyrant etc. Hope we did it right! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Oh my God like apart from the fact I was all 'Cultural Context please' and then hated the cultural context question and ended up doing T&I, that was a perfect paper for me. I think I even did a decent enough job on the comparative! And I was hoping for imagery in Macbeth 'cos I did a good essay on it recently. And I did the almost-identical question on Plath in the mocks and I did pretty well in that. AND I really liked the unseen poem. Like it was just a really nice poem, I actually personally responded to it.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Absolutely thrilled with 'disturbing imagery' in Macbeth, comparative was vomit I think my Macbeth was longer than it, did cultural context even though the theme 70 marker was lovely but I was banking on genre so it's my own fault, poetry I'm not too sure, did Mahon but there was four elements to the question so dunno if I managed to answer each of them in each paragraph and tie them all together! Also don't like the way all the poetry questions were style-based, if that's the way it's headed I'm glad I'm not sitting it next year!
    But tbh couldn't care less I'm so happy I NEVER HAVE TO DO ENGLISH AGAIN!!!!!:D

Advertisement