Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL English Paper 2 Before/After **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

HPMS wrote: »
    Okay, that's good! Sounds like you wrote the same as me...I just used quotes that he has said that supported his guilty, ambition, the development of his character from brave soldier to murdering tyrant etc. Hope we did it right! :)

I did it like that too, basically did a Macbeth character development and just made extra reference to how the things I wrote gave me an insight into his character and mindset..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I'm actually surprised at how positively received the paper is! I thought when I first opened it people would be unhappy, despite Plath's appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Lovely paper in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

I have never been so happy with a paper. Imagery, Cultural Context and Plath and an easy unseen. Couldn't have asked for better - my comparative ended up a bit iffy but I did a lot better on poetry than I ever expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

done a horrid amount of waffeling,i'd take a D3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

1 poet learned..... and he is in the net!!!!! Hon Mahon!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

Im the same with you, never waffeled so much :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

I also did some waffling, but that was mainly with the Macbeth question and I did a bit of waffling in the comparative question.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

007driver wrote: »

me either and im quite good at bull****ing :P

for macbeth i wrote a page on the question A before i realised i cant do this, then i ended up doing B.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lizardspock

Lovely paper overall I thought... Macbeth was the hardest Q for me, but wasn't too bad. didn't think I was gonna have a choice for poetry so that was nice- Surprised that they put 2 women on it, thanks SEC :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Sporty_Kate

I thought 'provocative imagery' was like sexy imagery and all that?

How does that relate to Plath, or have I gotten the definition for provocative wrong?

And Wordsworth is a slattt

I'm pretty sure the soliloquies were required for the character? They are the "insights into his mind" after all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

The more I think about that paper the more worried I'm getting. I loved the question on Mahon, the cultural context was quite good but that Macbeth question was terrible. You really needed to know your
    soliloquy's and I didn't. I knew quotes and parts of soliloquy's, I would have done the other question but that was worse. Disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

I thought 'provocative imagery' was like sexy imagery and all that?

How does that relate to Plath, or have I gotten the definition for provocative wrong?

And Wordsworth is a slattt

I took provocative as something something people can respond to..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

0mega wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised at how positively received the paper is! I thought when I first opened it people would be unhappy, despite Plath's appearance.

Everyone in my exam centre opened it and there was just an outbreak of laughter, everyone was so relieved at the comparative and poets. Afterwards though most people I talked to weren't too pleased with Macbeth!

I think the poets do tend to take on a disproportionate importance though and as soon as people saw nice ones (I don't know many people that didn't study all three of Plath, Mahon and Bishop), that was enough to make it a nice paper for a lot of people I'd say. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Informaniac

007driver wrote: »

Although it was a good paper I didnt know I could waffle until today........hmmm I still havent figured out how I forgot the name of my fouth poem from Mahon...hmmm :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Aced Theme/Issue :D
    Aced Plath :D
    Aced The fist :D
    Failed Macbeth :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Spelled patriachal wrong :/ also didn't mention the banquet scene at all for the insight to Macbeth's mindset but ah sure. At least I'll never have to do English again (I hope).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Informaniac

Can somebody pls explain to me what that poem The Fish was on about and what the question two about poets use of language was asking please I am loosing it.

Feel like **** after this exam, cause everyone is so happy with it #FML

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

I did it like that too, basically did a Macbeth character development and just made extra reference to how the things I wrote gave me an insight into his character and mindset..

Looks like I'm with ye on that :P am I the only person who forgot to mention the banquet scene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Can somebody pls explain to me what that poem The Fish was on about and what the question two about poets use of language was asking please I am loosing it.

It was called "The Fist", I interpreted it as a poem about love and the pain that love can inflict etc... I wouldn't worry too much about it tbh, it's only worth 5% in total I think. I ran out of time and only got about a page done on it.

Is anybody elses brain fried after that 3hr 20min long exam?

Im wrecked!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Here's what I have

Poetry: Bishop, Plath, Hopkins, Mahon

Woah you are lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Feel like **** after this exam, cause everyone is so happy with it #FML

People could be happy coming out of exam that they didn't fail, someone else could be unhappy coming out because they don't think they got an A. Just because people were happy with the paper don't mean they aced it and vice versa, be happy its over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

It was called "The Fist", I interpreted it as a poem about love and the pain that love can inflict etc... I wouldn't worry too much about it tbh, it's only worth 5% in total I think. I ran out of time and only got about a page done on it.

i think the fish was on ordinary.

I thought the fist was called the first so I wrote about first love . oops

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Aksa94

I said it was about he he kinda obsessively loved her and his love was not returned. Is that what it's about. Also how long we're the two ten markers supposed to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Aksa94 wrote: »
    I said it was about he he kinda obsessively loved her and his love was not returned. Is that what it's about. Also how long we're the two ten markers supposed to be

It doesn't really matter what you said as long as you backed it up tbh. I dunno about the length, I did 3/4 page on each, I'd say less would have sufficed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Ah, I felt that paper went quite horribly for me! For that Macbeth question I had never revised or attempted a question on imagery before so that was out of the equation. I was left with doing the other one. I didn't mention the soliloquies either. I kind of just went on about how other characters talked about him/his actions and how these gave us an insight into his mind and character.. Comparative went ok I think. Poetry went quite terrible. Hopkins and Shakespeare were my two favourite, and had intended answering on one of those. I see Hopkins comes up, read the question, and can't even understand it <___< Being silly me I just guessed at it's meaning and went answering it, and then half way through my answer I was like "well I don't think this is what it means anymore. I don't know what it means O__o", so I kinda scrapped that, finished the other questions, and then went back to poetry. At this stage, I decided to do Bishop cause I couldn't understand Hopkins' Q at all. I didn't like the Bishop question at all but I had to attempt it. Got 3 pages of bull**** about it, think I answered it wrong, though. -___- Had time at the end so I went back and put a conclusion to my Hopkins essay, so I got 2 pages on him. I just left both my poetry answers there, didn't cross off any, so both will be corrected and the highest mark I'll get. I thought the poets that came up were great, but the questions on them were extremely tricky. Macbeth Q overall was horrible I thought. I got an A2 in the mocks, think I'll be down to a C2/C3 after paper 1 and 2 :(

Arah, it's done now, no point stressing over it! #RantOver :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

Aksa94 wrote: »

That's the exact thing what I wrote! :P

Advertisement