Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Hayes a Junior Minister!!

Options
  • 05-06-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭

Congratulations to Tom Hayes, 12 years in the Dail and finally a junior minister of Ag.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

Tom is only in the hot seat a few hours and has already stirred up controversy. He was interviewed on the one o' clock news and said that farm assets will not be taken into consideration when assessing eligibility for third level grants. This contradicts comments made by Minister for Education Ruairi 'Ho Chi' Quinn on Morning Ireland earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

He's been around a while and always loyal to Enda Kenny so hopefully he can but it to good use and not make a fool out him self like spending €250,000 on an office revamp and paying his son €40,000 in over time expenses. This will also give him some more speaking time in the Dail for South Tipperary and soon all Tipperary.

Its a bit pointless having 2 independents in the constituency with little or any say in matters. Met Tom a couple of times, always seemed nice and his wife was very pleasant too. Best of luck to him in the position

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Paddico

Can anyone tell me what Tom has done for south Tipp in the last 12 years.
    Not a accusation mind, just curios what way I should vote in the next election

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Tom is only in the hot seat a few hours and has already stirred up controversy. He was interviewed on the one o' clock news and said that farm assets will not be taken into consideration when assessing eligibility for third level grants. This contradicts comments made by Minister for Education Ruairi 'Ho Chi' Quinn on Morning Ireland earlier.

Good start for Tom, to put his head on the block and have the confidence and the courage to contradict a senior Government minister as soon as he has his legs under his new desk. Good start hope he is as proactive for the rest of his career. Must say he came across well in the interview with Sean O'Rourke on todays Radio One news!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

There must be an election of some sorts coming up in the next twelve months or so. The Fine Gael and Labour Government have done nothing for South Tipperary or West Waterford since they came into power only take, take and take what we had and will try and take more if we leave them. O Yes, the local elections next June. Enda and Eamon are trying to buy some votes in the area over the next few months I feel, with this appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Xenophile wrote: »
    Good start for Tom, to put his head on the block and have the confidence and the courage to contradict a senior Government minister as soon as he has his legs under his new desk. Good start hope he is as proactive for the rest of his career. Must say he came across well in the interview with Sean O'Rourke on todays Radio One news!

Not sure I agree with this. It sounds like he wasn't fully briefed and the put down from Minister Quinn was excrucitating. It's fine if he had said that he disagreed with the relevant policy but to say it was dealt with and off the table when it obviously wasn't was just embarrasing.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with this. It sounds like he wasn't fully briefed and the put down from Minister Quinn was excrucitating. It's fine if he had said that he disagreed with the relevant policy but to say it was dealt with and off the table when it obviously wasn't was just embarrasing.

If he had been listening to Morning Ireland the same morning or even talking to his colleagues that morning he would have known about Ruairi Quinn's remarks. On the other hand Hayes has been attending Fine Gael parliamentary meetings for the last twelve years as T.D, in fact he was Chairman of the parliamentary party at one stage so he would know for sure that a policy like this was never going to be a runner. By the way I don't think that Tom Hayes was next in line for promotion as there are other people in the party that in the longer term will make a better contribution to national politics, in short this appointment is an effort by F.G to try and keep two TD's in the new five seat constituency after the next election.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

he will help the farmers continue to get the farmers dole

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Paddico wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what Tom has done for south Tipp in the last 12 years.
    Not a accusation mind, just curios what way I should vote in the next election
    I would like to know to,maybe he has done a lot but cant think of anything.

I know he was very good at sticking himself alongside Enda or the old head over his shoulder a la Donie Cassidy during television press conferences.
    .Seeems to be a reward from Enda for backing him in rebellion the same way he rewarded Phil Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

tipptom wrote: »
    I would like to know to,maybe he has done a lot but cant think of anything.

I know he was very good at sticking himself alongside Enda or the old head over his shoulder a la Donie Cassidy during television press conferences.
    .Seeems to be a reward from Enda for backing him in rebellion the same way he rewarded Phil Hogan.
    nothing only talk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

as y political science lecturer once said Junior ministerships are great for people a bit to old to be a minister but need there loyalty to the party rewarded

Like I was asking but no one seems to have the answer.
    What has Tom done for south Tipp in the past 12 years.
    Can anyone add one achievement??

Getting the road re-surfaced in Thomastown doesn't count

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Not a lot...

Paddico wrote: »
    Like I was asking but no one seems to have the answer.
    What has Tom done for south Tipp in the past 12 years.
    Can anyone add one achievement??

Getting the road re-surfaced in Thomastown doesn't count
    He fixshed the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Big Tanya

Tom hayes is a lovely man. Not a good speaker, he cannot get involved in a dail debate without reading from notes. But he is a lovely man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Big Tanya wrote: »
    Tom hayes is a lovely man. Not a good speaker, he cannot get involved in a dail debate without reading from notes. But he is a lovely man.

Like the other posters, I'm a bit cynical about the move and the 'power' it gives him.
    I dont know what qualities determine suitability for minister/junior minister but i'd
    hope they'd need to be more than nice!

Thats grand for him and I am sure he is a nice man but I would be looking for more than that and his loyalty to Enda Kenny to have the qualitys for a junior position in government,smacks a bit of FF for me.

That and sending a 73 year old party grandee to a top job in Europe,meet the new crowd,same as the old crowd.

I'm sure he is but is he worth voting for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Big Tanya

No, i wont be voting for himn again.
    Its like what someone else posted. Old politics.
    As mentioned he is a lovely man, but I wont be voting for him next time

That and sending a 73 year old party grandee to a top job in Europe,meet the new crowd,same as the old crowd.

Ageism is illegal and let me tell you that most 73 year olds have more cop on than 23 year olds.

• Advertisement

Xenophile wrote: »
    Ageism is illegal and let me tell you that most 73 year olds have more cop on than 23 year olds.
    It can be hid behind whatever politically correct bull you want to put on it but everybody recognises what it is,a stroke for the boys that would put FF to shame.

it is,a stroke for the boys that would put FF to shame.

Can you give details of the stroke you are talking about.

Advertisement