Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Computer lessons

Options
  • 05-06-2013 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi I was looking for some basic computer lessons for a family member in the north dublin area or dublin city. Google isn't the most helpful and there doesn't seem like too much reliable information out there regarding classes/schools and what provides a good service.

Ideally they will be:
    - a registered company
    - experience and patience working with elderly people
    - proven results of improving computer confidence

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Fingal adult education in Balbriggan run courses. They are Fetac courses and well worth doing.

Dont have their number to hand but courses are also ran in libraries around Fingal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Can you expand on the "basic computer lessons"
    What exactly are you looking for?
    I'd be checking out youtube rather than shelling out for classes if it's basic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some active retirement groups organise computer classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

She has retired and is receiving a training grant to learn new skills. One of the areas she was looking to improve upon was general confidence on the computer. She wants to learn practical things like word processing, file management, email and how to book things online but she wouldn't be the quickest to learn so patience and someone who can explain clearer than I can would be important.
    I appreciate the suggestions so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

The European Computer Driving Licence (cheesy name I know - ECDL for short) could be a good place to start. It's widely accepted as the basic intro to computer skills.

Check out https://www.ecdl.ie/ for details and local certified training centres.

EDIT: my mother-in-law did it in CTAC in Malahide (I think). Check out link here: www.ctac.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

Both Fingal & Dublin City Public Libraries offer free basic computer training. Ask her local branch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

im 17. Not qualified but can teach you if you want.
    PM if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

But I thought you needed lessons yourself not too long ago?

But I thought you needed lessons yourself not too long ago?

I was looking for software development and coding courses cause that us what I plan On doing in college.

All basic stuff I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ah, ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

I appreciate your offer Twoandahalfmen but I think she would prefer someone with more experience teaching and as it will be paid for by an educational grant she has to get receipts from a registered company. Thank you anyway.
    I contacted the local active retirement group about computer lessons but they hadn't any on at the moment and weren't able to recommend a place.
    Any mention of ECDL in the past has had her grimacing. The idea of exams and pressure isn't what she wants at all. I know you don't have to do the exams at the end of it but I think it would be exam focused all the way through and that she wants to learn practical things she's interested in rather than formatting excel spreadsheets (which I think she'd end up struggling with).

dango wrote: »
    I appreciate your offer Twoandahalfmen but I think she would prefer someone with more experience teaching and as it will be paid for by an educational grant she has to get receipts from a registered company. Thank you anyway.
    I contacted the local active retirement group about computer lessons but they hadn't any on at the moment and weren't able to recommend a place.
    Any mention of ECDL in the past has had her grimacing. The idea of exams and pressure isn't what she wants at all. I know you don't have to do the exams at the end of it but I think it would be exam focused all the way through and that she wants to learn practical things she's interested in rather than formatting excel spreadsheets (which I think she'd end up struggling with).

Yea that's fine. Good luck with the search. Try the northside people free paper.

Try contacting some local community centres? I don't know much about the centres in your area but I've just done a CE Scheme in south county Dublin where we ran basic computer courses in the centre, most of our clients were elderly folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Hi yeah.my dad retired, so he was sitting at home talking to the walls and fou d himsf looki g forward to Jeremy Kyle .target is a organisation. In doneghmede, I contacted them and they ran very basic as in email etc computer course for dads age group.he went and is now Down for the advanced class.there was no charge for the basic which is great.the advanced is €10 a class or less i think.he felt very comfortable learning at a pace he was able for.the instructor was very nice and explained sausage fingers to him,aka as big hands and how to only tip the board .last time I was down he was showing me his chat with my brother on Facebook.he lives in Australia .he now does a few bets on line tha is to paddy power.but he loves it.best thng he ever did.we changed his name to bill Gate when he starts asking questions.hes as to connect other things to wifi now.its great.i love been able to Skype him .
    So anyway Target doneghmed.they also have first aid people near by as I was worried about dads ticker giving him more trouble.
    Go for it .

Advertisement