Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Bike Hire - St Jean de Monts, France

Options
  • 05-06-2013 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Not really a thinly disguised 'i'm going on holiday thread', but I am.

Has anyone on here rented a road bike in St Jean de Monts in France. I haven't room to take mine with me, but wouldn't mind getting on the road for a few days over there. In this instance Google hasn't really been my friend, as all I can seem to find are Hybrids/ Tourers/ day bikes, even those four wheel things that are somehow called bikes.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I was there a few years ago and nice enough area (though not as interesting as some) Nourmoitier was cool and the beaches are great.
    I found little other than the usual mtb/hybrid/sit up and beg style bikes and nothing remotely decent I'm afraid.
    Might be worth going to decathlon and buying a reasonable racer for 300 or so then posting/couriering it home and either selling it on or using it as a training bike????
    If you go by Ferry it's a long but only a 7-8 hour drive from Roscoff so can be done in one day.
    The weather there was substantially warmer and sunnier than Brittany (which I love).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

RobFowl wrote: »
    I was there a few years ago and nice enough area (though not as interesting as some) Nourmoitier was cool and the beaches are great.

If you go by Ferry it's a long but only a 7-8 hour drive from Roscoff so can be done in one day.
    The weather there was substantially warmer and sunnier than Brittany (which I love).

Slightly off topic but I happen to being going in that direction in a few weeks. Google maps puts the drive at 4 hours 15 mins not 7-8 hours. We're you seriously delayed or just drove very slow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

veetwin wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I happen to being going in that direction in a few weeks. Google maps puts the drive at 4 hours 15 mins not 7-8 hours. We're you seriously delayed or just drove very slow?

Avoided tolled roads and few delays but nothing major, actually may have had a blond moment and mixed it up with the drive to Cherbourg/Tours.
    Left Ferry at 1100 an arrived there 1830 with a 1 hour lunch stop and 2 other stops for the kids to pee !

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

I found little other than the usual mtb/hybrid/sit up and beg style bikes and nothing remotely decent I'm afraid.
    Might be worth going to decathlon and buying a reasonable racer for 300 or so then posting/couriering it home and either selling it on or using it as a training bike????

Nothing had changed last year when I was there. Bikes as old as the hills but functional so I just took a mtb and trailed a 7 year old round on the back on the longer ride out to Noirmoutier. Probably better suited to some of the cycle paths that we were on. Along the coast is real beautiful however being flat as a pancake inland is quite boring visually.

Great wine, great food, great beaches so I was happy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

I called into this shop 3 years ago and they said that they rented carbon fibre road bikes. I did not look at the rental stock, but they have a very nice selection of Ridleys - full range for sale. Friendly LBS owner who likes to talk about bikes. Call them first to be sure
    Also saw a lot of Velo Club St Jean de Monts club spins when I was there. If I was going back I would try to hook up with them

MAHEAU PHILIPPE
    Téléphone : 0251582783
    9 RUE GEN DE GAULLE

85160 ST JEAN DE MONTS

Robfowl any chance I could borrow your bike rack last week in June, first week & half in July?

Failing that, anyone know where I can rent road bikes in Blois, Loire valley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

Cheers for the replies lads. I will have the mtb with me cuz I need to put the child seat on it, just have no room left on the rack for the road bike. I'll have a look around and if not I'll just stick to the mtb whole I'm there.

midonogh wrote: »
    I called into this shop 3 years ago and they said that they rented carbon fibre road bikes. I did not look at the rental stock, but they have a very nice selection of Ridleys - full range for sale. Friendly LBS owner who likes to talk about bikes. Call them first to be sure
    Also saw a lot of Velo Club St Jean de Monts club spins when I was there. If I was going back I would try to hook up with them

MAHEAU PHILIPPE
    Téléphone : 0251582783
    9 RUE GEN DE GAULLE

85160 ST JEAN DE MONTS

Robfowl any chance I could borrow your bike rack last week in June, first week & half in July?

Failing that, anyone know where I can rent road bikes in Blois, Loire valley?

Yep all yours. It's a 3 bike one (thule) fiting onto a towbar but fits a 4th kids bike easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Yep all yours. It's a 3 bike one (thule) fiting onto a towbar but fits a 4th kids bike easily.

Merci beaucoup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Arise zombie thread...

Anybody use your man in midonaghs post since?
    Anyone know of others?

Advertisement