Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campsites in Ile De Re for campervan

Options
  • 05-06-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

I'm going to France In Mid June till Mid July and was thinking of booking a week on the 3rd week in Ile De Re. Can anyone recommend a few site for me? I was looking on the net but there is so many to choose form. Or is it possible to just wing it and book accommodation when we get there?

We were in England the last 2 years so we just stayed where we liked as the sites weren't booked out. Will we have the same leisure to do this in France?

We have two kids 2 and 5 so swimming pools and entertainment would also be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Hi,

I'm going to France In Mid June till Mid July and was thinking of booking a week on the 3rd week in Ile De Re. Can anyone recommend a few site for me? I was looking on the net but there is so many to choose form. Or is it possible to just wing it and book accommodation when we get there?

We were in England the last 2 years so we just stayed where we liked as the sites weren't booked out. Will we have the same leisure to do this in France?

We have two kids 2 and 5 so swimming pools and entertainment would also be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

How about http://www.campingcard.co.uk/gb/en/europe/france/poitou-charentes/charente-maritime/campsite-les-ilates-117890/?cityName=Ile+De+Re, but you'll need to get the ACSI card to get the price, don't know what the non-card price is.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

niloc1951 wrote: »
    How about http://www.campingcard.co.uk/gb/en/europe/france/poitou-charentes/charente-maritime/campsite-les-ilates-117890/?cityName=Ile+De+Re, but you'll need to get the ACSI card to get the price, don't know what the non-card price is.

Is the ASCI card of any value for July and August Motorhomers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Martin_D wrote: »
    Is the ASCI card of any value for July and August Motorhomers?

Most camp-sites opt out after the first week of July, some stay in until the second weekend. They usually opt back in on the last weekend of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

There is a very good Sunelia site in Ille de
    Rey.
    http://www.sunelia.com/en/espace_sunelia/france/charente-maritime/fiche-camping/interlude-43

It is right on the beach and has a smallish swimming pool. I have never booked it but is wise to ring ahead to check availability from mid July on.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

I highly recommend Interlude mentioned above. We have stayed there a few times and will be there again this July. It is definitely the best site on the island but it is pricey. In previous years we went in May and didn't have to book but this year we can't go until school holidays - we checked with them and they said we would definitely have to book. I suspect this is the same with most of the sites. We have noticed before in the site offices they often have planners on the wall and in May they were often completely booked through July and August.

Ille de Re take their tourism seriously and I think the star rating on their website is probably pretty accurate. Another site we liked was l'Ocean.

The beuty of Ille de Re is being able to travel wherever you like on bike paths. If this is your thing, I would look at the map and pick a location which is equidistant from a few towns so you have variety (different markets, activities, etc on different days).

Enjoy - it's a beautiful place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

Niall_G wrote: »
    I highly recommend Interlude mentioned above. We have stayed there a few times and will be there again this July. It is definitely the best site on the island but it is pricey. In previous years we went in May and didn't have to book but this year we can't go until school holidays - we checked with them and they said we would definitely have to book. I suspect this is the same with most of the sites. We have noticed before in the site offices they often have planners on the wall and in May they were often completely booked through July and August.

Ille de Re take their tourism seriously and I think the star rating on their website is probably pretty accurate. Another site we liked was l'Ocean.

The beuty of Ille de Re is being able to travel wherever you like on bike paths. If this is your thing, I would look at the map and pick a location which is equidistant from a few towns so you have variety (different markets, activities, etc on different days).

For what ist worth, I never book ahead. Have stayed here 3 times in last 5 years and have always got on. You may have to schedule around their availability and our stays are 3/4 nights.
    Booking gives you peace of mind but takes the spontaneity and flexibility out of campevaning. Each to their own I suppose.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 culturedkevin

Niall_G wrote: »

I priced that interlude site and its €425 for 7 nights with is a bit out of our budget.

Really looking forward to going and we'll defiantly book something for July. Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

We are just back from Ile de Re this week (6yo and 4 yo), we had a fantastic week and sunshine too :D
    Anyway we stayed in
    http://www.la-grainetiere.com/index.html?lg=gb
    which was a great and very central campsite. Three big supermarkets are 5 minute cycle away. It is a smaller campsite then Sunelia but the guy that runs it is so nice helpful and laid back. THe pool complex is great for small kids and has various depths. It is warm and is indoor but can open out if the weather is good. There is no entertainment or anything like that but has reasonable beers, pizza etc.
    We were going to move to Sunelia but didnt for a few reason, one the outdoor pool was too cold and the indoor pool wasnt my cup of tea. THere was much more going on around there had entertainment and that if thats what you are looking for. Its a big site though. THe beach on your doorstep is a big plus. Price would be a big factor too. There is a Sunelia card that you can sign up for and it gives you discounts but again dont know if it works in August.
    Anyway the cycle paths are fantastic and all over the island. THe restaurants and pubs can be quite dear, we got 2 crepes, glass wine (tiny) and small beer for over 20 and apprently August can be worse !! I would imagine you would definetly have to book later in the summer.

Any other questions just ask
    C

Advertisement