Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roberto Martinez -New Everton Manager

• 05-06-2013 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Everton Football Club is today delighted to confirm the appointment of Roberto Martinez as its next manager.

The 39-year-old Spaniard joins from Wigan Athletic and has signed a four-year contract at Goodison Park.

Mr Martinez will be officially unveiled as the Club’s 14th permanent manager at a media conference on Wednesday at 4pm.

It will be interesting to see how he does with a bigger club. A lot of Everton fans I'd guess are not happy with this. Time will tell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Next season seems to get more interesting by the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A good move for both parties imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

A big step backwards for Everton,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

14th manager....is that like ever. Amazing and admirable if it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

It will be interesting to see how he does with a bigger club and how he manages Everton in the big big away games. Moyes was always a bit negative in them.

• Advertisement

With the exception of a few who have had 2 spells or more I'm quiet surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Was thinking he'd be a great replacement if we got moyes ages ago. What's the issue for everton fans with his appointment and who would ye rather have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A big step backwards for Everton,

A big one I think. Don't think they'll be relegation candidates but with Moyes gone and likely to poach the likes of Baines, I can see a bottom half finish for Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Nah its like their 26th manager of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The key in that was "14th permanent manager" there are a few temp managers or interim or whatever they want to call them.

Yeah 14 is really wrong actually just looked it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Everton_F.C._managers

Some have managed the club on a number of occassions, but certainly more than 14 permanent managers and far more than that when stand ins etc are counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Bad move for Everton.

Replace a consistent manager who has just been chosen to replace Alex Ferguson with a manager who has just had his team relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We may finally get a result at Goodison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

From being interviewed for the Liverpool job to getting it with their arch rivals. Tough job for him, anything worse than Moyes will look bad and add in the fact that Liverpool will get better while there is a strong chance Everton will lose there best player(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Bad move for Everton.

Replace a consistent manager with a manager who has just had his team relegated.

and won the FA cup with a small team - great move by Everton - back to the school of science -

thebaz wrote: »
    and won the FA cup with a small team - great move by Everton - back to the school of science -

What do ya mean by that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Not convinced by him at all. Could be wrong, but I'd expect Everton to go backwards under him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Not convinced by him at all. Could be wrong, but I'd expect Everton to go backwards under him.

I'd expect everton to go backwards under anyone after loosing moyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

What do ya mean by that?

everton , along with united, west ham and spurs have a tradition of playing football the right way. Went a bit backwards with joe Royle's dogs of war in the 90s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'd expect everton to go backwards under anyone after loosing moyes

That's true too, but I still think they could have made a better job of replacing him. Time will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

As a Liverpool fan, I have to say I am happy enough with this. Under Moyes, Everton were annoyingly effective when they played us in the local derby. With Martinez at the helm though, they will try to play a passing game, which should play into our hands a lot better (we tonked Wigan 3-0 and 4-0 last season).

What managers do people think Everton should have chosen from?

I think Kenwright picked Martinez because he knew the league and was cheap.
    I wasn't sure on Martinez but now that he is manager I will support him. I think there are lots like me who are still not convinced 100% but will give full backing.

As a Liverpool fan, I have to say I am happy enough with this. Under Moyes, Everton were annoyingly effective when they played us in the local derby. With Martinez at the helm though, they will try to play a passing game, which should play into our hands a lot better (we tonked Wigan 3-0 and 4-0 last season).

Wigan have 11 different players to Everton. Doesn't work like that!:D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

everton , along with united, west ham and spurs have a tradition of playing football the right way. Went a bit backwards with joe Royle's dogs of war in the 90s

What is the right way out of curiosity?

ah ok, school of science sounds a bit off though, moyes is very scientific in his approach though much of it was from a reactionary point of view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

GavRedKing wrote: »

On the floor and not in the sky.

Possession football with technically good players.

Who did Everton fans want instead? There's not a huge array of options for a club like Everton.

GavRedKing wrote: »

Dont be cynical, play the ethos of the laws not the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Martinez to rival Rodgers as the biggest spoofer in the league next year. Thats not to say he wont do a good job but hes one of these modern managers that talks way too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Sloppy seconds.

Liverpool turned him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Kenwright camestraight out and said the first thing martinez said to him would be that he will get everton into the cl. Couldnt keep his mouth shut on that one, no pressure now :rolleyes:

djPSB wrote: »
    Sloppy seconds.

Depends on who you believe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

djPSB wrote: »
    Sloppy seconds.

Do we know for sure it wasn't the other way around?

Do we know for sure it wasn't the other way around?

Hopefully for Everton sake it wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Cheap option,not convinced it's the right one either.

Neil Lennon might have been a better fit.

Is he Everton's first non British isles manager?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Saw from the wiki page that Kess posted that Martinez is the first Everton manager not from Ireland or the home nations. Found that interesting. Any other top-flight teams claim a similar record? (Besides Utd)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Martinez to rival Rodgers as the biggest spoofer in the league next year. Thats not to say he wont do a good job but hes one of these modern managers that talks way too much.

Yep, got away with murder at Wigan whenever they played a superior team when he pulled the "You don't get decisions against the big sides" card.

Great news

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Saw from the wiki page that Kess posted that Martinez is the first Everton manager not from Ireland or the home nations. Found that interesting. Any other top-flight teams claim a similar record? (Besides Utd)

Probably the likes of Norwich and Stoke etc. None of the big teams bar United.

Probably the likes of Norwich and Stoke etc. None of the big teams bar United.

Wasn't there a Dutch guy in charge of Stoke before Pulis?

• Advertisement

Eh the 11 Wigan players are not in the same class as Everton's 1st team. Liverpool's inability to beat Everton in the league last season proves this.

Doesn't work that way. Cant see Martinez being as negative as moyes v top 4

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a Dutch guy in charge of Stoke before Pulis?

Possibly, didn't check it up. Was really just guessing at some clubs who've spent a decent portion of the last couple of decades in the lower divisions.

Possibly, didn't check it up. Was really just guessing at some clubs who've spent a decent portion of the last couple of decades in the lower divisions.

I only knew that as I have a friend a few years ago who was from Stoke.
    The rest I have no idea:o

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Eh the 11 Wigan players are not in the same class as Everton's 1st team. Liverpool's inability to beat Everton in the league last season proves this.

Maybe but against the likes of liverpool the games will be more open and therefore more losses, might be more wins as well though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Dubliner28 wrote: »

Everton used their strength and physicality to stifle us this season - it worked. If Bob takes over and plays a more open game, then I fancy our chances a lot more next season.

Everton used their strength and physicality to stifle us this season - it worked. If Bob takes over and plays a more open game, then I fancy our chances a lot more next season.

What happens IF he doesn't play an open game? I am also sure there will be different players playing in this fixture from last year which makes this impossible to predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I think he is a good pick for Everton.

Could be tough for Everton next season if Moyes takes players with him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Bad move for Everton.

Replace a consistent manager who has just been chosen to replace Alex Ferguson with a manager who has just had his team relegated.

Well I think Utd made a terrible decision. What is so good about Moyes?? He was consisent? He couldnt even make champions league. And no where near winning a trophy. Why is he good enough to manage the biggest club in the world???

inmyday wrote: »
    Well I think Utd made a terrible decision. What is so good about Moyes?? He was consisent? He couldnt even make champions league. And no where near winning a trophy. Why is he good enough to manage the biggest club in the world???

He was never expected to win trophies, or even get Champions league football. He had that Everton team consistently punching above their weight for almost no money. Remember they have outperformed their much larger red neighbours 2 seasons in a row.

Ferguson knows him better than we do and he recommended him, I'd trust his judgement over mine or yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sacramento wrote: »
    He was never expected to win trophies, or even get Champions league football. He had that Everton team consistently punching above their weight for almost no money. Remember they have outperformed their much larger red neighbours 2 seasons in a row.

Ferguson knows him better than we do and he recommended him, I'd trust his judgement over mine or yours.

Should of just signed Alan Curbishly then.

What kind of track record does Feguson have in spotting managerial talent?

• Advertisement
Advertisement