Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roberto Martinez -New Everton Manager

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

inmyday wrote: »
    Well I think Utd made a terrible decision. What is so good about Moyes?? He was consisent? He couldnt even make champions league. And no where near winning a trophy. Why is he good enough to manage the biggest club in the world???

I do find it somewhat laughable that one moment people are claiming how good Moyes was and on the other they denegrate Martinez.
    If Martinez isn't good enough for Everton then how can somone claim Moyes is good enough for united.
    Oh yeah he kept a team bereft of funds puching above their weight for a number of years.
    Doesn't that sound familar when we think of Wigan ?
    Of course one can say Martinez got them relegated, but one could also say he won them a trophy.
    Sacramento wrote: »
    He was never expected to win trophies, or even get Champions league football. He had that Everton team consistently punching above their weight for almost no money. Remember they have outperformed their much larger red neighbours 2 seasons in a row.

Ferguson knows him better than we do and he recommended him, I'd trust his judgement over mine or yours.

Isn't Moyes supposed to have been involved with the selection in Everton ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

You can still get 9/2 at VCBet on Everton finishing outside of the top ten next season.

Worth a few sheckles I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Sacramento wrote: »
    He was never expected to win trophies, or even get Champions league football. He had that Everton team consistently punching above their weight for almost no money. Remember they have outperformed their much larger red neighbours 2 seasons in a row.

Ferguson knows him better than we do and he recommended him, I'd trust his judgement over mine or yours.

Exact same can be said about Martinez. Wigan are a tiny club with a small fan base. They cant even fill their stadium. They were never expected to win trophies.They were doing very well to stay in the premier league. And win a big trophy.

ferguson recommends Moyes, while he is still in the backround at the club. Im sure he'll tell Moyes what to do in many aspects of the job.
    But my question was. Why is Moyes good enough to manage the biggest club in the world???

And not that Im not personally against Moyes getting the Utd job. But why is Moyes so good, and Martinez is rubbish????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Exact same can be said about Martinez. Wigan are a tiny club with a small fan base. They cant even fill their stadium. They were never expected to win trophies.They were doing very well to stay in the premier league. And win a big trophy.

ferguson recommends Moyes, while he is still in the backround at the club. Im sure he'll tell Moyes what to do in many aspects of the job.
    But my question was. Why is Moyes good enough to manage the biggest club in the world???

And not that Im not personally against Moyes getting the Utd job. But why is Moyes so good, and Martinez is rubbish????
    For me, Moyes benefits from the same pro-British media hype that Bale, Hart, Parker and Wilshere have. Bale has recently proved himself to be more than that hype but that wasn't always the case. Essentially if you're British and good, those 2 things combined make you great.

Mezcita wrote: »
    You can still get 9/2 at VCBet on Everton finishing outside of the top ten next season.

Worth a few sheckles I think.

Utd are 9/1 to finish outside the top 4. Defo worth a fiver.

Utd are 9/1 to finish outside the top 4. Defo worth a fiver.

Cannot see that happening whatsoever.

Terrible odds too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A good coach that has a good understanding of the game and seems to be able to create relatively potent attacking lines from what would be described as mediocre players, something Everton could do with if I'm honest, a bit of a whipping to ensure they can score more goals.

The only danger here is that MArtinez has been historically poor in terms of deploying a defence and ensuring it doesn't leak goals, something he will have to learn.

But I think it's a good move, there is a reason he was wanted by a fair few people. For all the fapping over Brendan Rogers, quickly forgotten is taht Martinez laid that "philosophy" for Rodgers to continue with, and in fairness didn't really change, and has adopted for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Well I think Utd made a terrible decision. What is so good about Moyes?? He was consisent? He couldnt even make champions league. And no where near winning a trophy. Why is he good enough to manage the biggest club in the world???

Managers should be judged on what they have achieved, not on what they have won

For instance, getting everton into the top four would, in my opinion, be a greater achievement for the manager then winning the league with Chelsea, united or arsenal

LiamoSail wrote: »

For instance, getting everton into the top four would, in my opinion, be a greater achievement for the manager then winning the league with Chelsea, united or arsenal

Fair enough. Good point.
    But is that not like saying. Winning the FA cup with Wigan is more of an achievement than Utd winning the league???

I think Martinez has achieved but many on here seem to think he is a clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Hardly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭ConstantJoe

Possibly, didn't check it up. Was really just guessing at some clubs who've spent a decent portion of the last couple of decades in the lower divisions.

From a quick wiki, the only current Premier League teams that have only had managers from the Home Nations are Cardiff, Manchester United, and Norwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Totally overrated, Paul Jewell got Wigan into the premier league and kept them there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

GavRedKing wrote: »
    What is the right way out of curiosity?

thers the route one way - say stoke under Pullis

thers the passing was - say barcelona

now I know which style , I prefer - much prefer watcing rugby or GAA than the old Stoke model , or the defensive Irish model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Would Pulis not have been more suited to the job.

Done a good job and implemented a similar style at Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

djPSB wrote: »

You didn't watch Everton much last season, did you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i think he will actually do a good job and if he implements his 3-4-3 system it should suit players like baines, coleman, mirelles and pienaar down to the ground

for the sake of English football, hopefully Pullis isn't let loose on the Championship, nevermind the premiership. another reason why the English premiership will be better next year , Pullis wont be there - hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So using that reasoning keeping Wigan in the PL was an achievement, but winning the FA Cup, beating Everton away, led by the great achiever Moyes, and beating the team that finished second in the PL in the final doesn't count.

Winning is an achievement AFAIK.

Winning with Arsenal would be a hell of an achievement these days seeing as they spend shag all and continually sell their best players, especially to their major competitors.
    But that is another discussion.
    thebaz wrote: »
    thers the route one way - say stoke under Pullis

thers the passing was - say barcelona

This fooking drives me nuts. :mad::mad:
    Why does everyone always just use Barcelona as an example of a passing team, especially it seems when they compare them to someone like Stoke, ROI, etc ?

Other bloody teams play passing football.
    They may not do it to death like Barca, but they still play passing football.
    The two teams in this years CL final play passing football which IMHO is far prettier to watch than Barca.
    united have always trying to play proper football.
    FFS Swansea pass the ball around.

Ok now I really need me morning coffee.
    Anyway i think Martinez deserves a crack at a bigger club, much like the argument about Moyes.
    I wish Martinez the best of luck, something I could never wish Moyes.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Any truth to this Torres rumour? Surely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Rekop dog wrote: »

ya, apparently Martinez is a big fan. Fellani sale crucial to the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Fellaini or Baines leaving is cruicial.

Fellaini is on big money so would free up money for Torres wages but he'd ahve to take a drop or Chelsea would have to be willing to part pay some of it if they want him off the wage bill.

I'd say a lot depends on if Chelsea chase Hulk whcih is doing the rounds in the papers today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

If Torres goes to Everton he'll really prove what little he thinks of liverpool fans who idolised him. Can see why Martinez would want him though, but will he be able to get the best out of him?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I heard Chelsea are using Torres as a bargaining tool to bring in Fellaini. Couldn't see it happening myself really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Story seems to have gone viral on Twitter now :pac:

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=torresthetoffee&src=typd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

link ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Where are people hearing this? Must be bs.

I remember he had a bit of a rant before about Torres elbowing in a game against Wigan so not sure he's too fond of him

edit:
    seems he also thought 50m was a bargain so obviously highly rates him
    http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/905590/roberto-martinez:-L50million-fernando-torres-fee-is-a-bargain?cc=5739#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

s.welstead wrote: »
    Where are people hearing this? Must be bs.

I remember he had a bit of a rant before about Torres elbowing in a game against Wigan so not sure he's too fond of him

edit:
    seems he also thought 50m was a bargain so obviously highly rates him
    http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/905590/roberto-martinez:-L50million-fernando-torres-fee-is-a-bargain?cc=5739#

wow, he really seems to rate him.

You never know...

jmayo wrote: »
    This fooking drives me nuts. :mad::mad:
    Why does everyone always just use Barcelona as an example of a passing team, especially it seems when they compare them to someone like Stoke, ROI, etc ?

Other bloody teams play passing football.

I was asked the obvious question, of what is the right way to play football - so I tried to explain in simple terms - agree with rest of your post -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Looks like Torres will be sold now. Maybe that's why Everton are being linked.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/mourinho-green-light-chelsea-sell-torres-and-mata-3961634#.UbBr5tIwfHh

Why they'd sell Mata is beyond me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Lads yer pushing this Torres story in two separate threads. I can only assume, for this and plenty of other reasons, that it is in fact a pile of bollocks made up my members of boards.ie?

At least pick a player who isn't on nearly 200k a week and could easily get into another CL team!

• Advertisement

I heard Chelsea are using Torres as a bargaining tool to bring in Fellaini. Couldn't see it happening myself really

I posted on the Chelsea thread a few weeks ago that Fellaini was going to Chelsea. My source is usually spot on.

Torres to Everton won't happen. We couldn't afford his wages and if Torres does leave Chelsea there will be plenty of top European club willing to take him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Sloppy seconds.

Liverpool turned him down.

He turned Liverpool down. But don't let the truth ruin it for yourself.

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    He turned Liverpool down. But don't let the truth ruin it for yourself.

I thought Liverpool never offered him the job?

Lumbo wrote: »
    I posted on the Chelsea thread a few weeks ago that Fellaini was going to Chelsea. My source is usually spot on.

Torres to Everton won't happen. We couldn't afford his wages and if Torres does leave Chelsea there will be plenty of top European club willing to take him.

lol, love these statements. What's your sources link with Roman?

8/1 in the bookies

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I thought Liverpool never offered him the job?

Not according to Martinez. Have a Daily Mail link :P

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2191283/Roberto-Martinez-turned-Liverpool-job.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Nonsense. If there's one area Chelsea don't need improving its their midfield.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Nonsense. If there's one area Chelsea don't need improving its their midfield.

They could do with a decent defensive midfielder.

I was under the impression the Liverpool owners never offered him the job. They had talks alright.

I'd be suprised if he turned it down tbh.

lol, love these statements. What's your sources link with Roman?

8/1 in the bookies

No link with Roman. My source works for Everton. Your point is relevant though because the buying club can always change their mind.

• Advertisement

No link with Roman. My source works for Everton. Your point is relevant though because the buying club can always change their mind.

If your source is decent 8/1 is a good price.

Arsenal are favourites btw @ 11/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why would Mourinho sell Mata? :confused:

If your source is decent 8/12 is a good price.

Arsenal are favourites btw @ 11/10.

There's a buyout clause in Fellaini's contract so if that's met its up to Fellaini who he goes to (who's paying the biggest wages).

I'd be suprised if he turned it down tbh.

You would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Martinez didn't turn down the Liverpool job, ridiculous suggestion. I really doubt Martinez is that dumb.

Martinez didn't turn down the Liverpool job, ridiculous suggestion. I really doubt Martinez is that dumb.

Yeah, real cushy job where the fans want you sacked pretty much all the time.

• Advertisement

SimpsonLemon.gif

Bitter cos we have your first choice manager or bitter because we're consistently better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Personally I think they both could have done better.

Bitter cos we have your first choice manager or bitter because we're consistently better?

You get nothing for finishing a place above Liverpool afaik.

Bit of pride for Everton fans in Liverpool that's about it. Smalltime stuff.

Certainly wasn't my first choice manager btw!

SimpsonLemon.gif

Looked in the mirror lately?

• Advertisement
Advertisement