Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank help!

Options
  • 05-06-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi,
    i am looking to buy a rural property and wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience relating to this?

The land i am looking to buy is adjacent to the farmers cottage which he is planning on keeping. With all the talk of Europe making people upgrade old septic tank he isant sure if his will pass. his current system is about 30 years old. His cottage is close to a river, so it might be high on the list when ever roscommon Co Co sent out inspectors.

what he is suggesting is that his solicitor inserts a clause in the contract that allows him to put in a new tank and have the soak away area on my field. The clause would ensure the field was put back in the same condition as it was before any work was carried out. i dont plan on building on this field as it will be used for ag purposes.

is this a bad idea allowing such a clause? anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
    George Q

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Firstly, the farmer will require planning permission to do any upgrade works to his septic tank, not in the solicitors remit/power to just insert that clause.

I would well imagine that if this were allowed, (I don't see it been given permission by the co co tbh), I believe that there would have to be wayleaves allowed for in the parcel of land transferred/sold to yourself to allow for access and possible remedial works that may need to be done to the system in the event of failure.

Why does he not just retain the minimal amount of land that a registered assessor will outline as required by a specific site suitability test for percolation areas and save any possible future hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaleRider

It's hard one to answer. If you have the space good.

If it's in your garden not so good.

Minister Hogan
    There is no question of imposing modern standards, for example those set out in the EPA’s 2009 Code of Practice, to older systems.

Nor is there any question of householders having to acquire additional land to facilitate remediation work.

Where an on-site system fails an inspection, the remediation work required will be based on factors such as the nature of the problem, the extent of risk to public health or the environment, existing site size and the hydrological and geological conditions present.
    #############################################

Again it's hard to advice not having the full picture. New standards may apply to a cottage that not lived in.

It depends what you can live with.

There are systems that can occupy a small foot print. But again this is just general advice. Talk to your local Co Council.

Talk to a local professional.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

GEORGY101 wrote: »
    hi,
    i am looking to buy a rural property and wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience relating to this?

The land i am looking to buy is adjacent to the farmers cottage which he is planning on keeping. With all the talk of Europe making people upgrade old septic tank he isant sure if his will pass. his current system is about 30 years old. His cottage is close to a river, so it might be high on the list when ever roscommon Co Co sent out inspectors.

what he is suggesting is that his solicitor inserts a clause in the contract that allows him to put in a new tank and have the soak away area on my field. The clause would ensure the field was put back in the same condition as it was before any work was carried out. i dont plan on building on this field as it will be used for ag purposes.

is this a bad idea allowing such a clause? anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
    George Q

it would be a very irresponsible solicitor to approve the sale of land which reduces the area left to a house under the minimum site size required for a stand alone dwelling on a septic tank......

the land owner should not be allowed sell land which would result in the dwelling being considered sub standard.

regardless, i would steer well clear of any such clause in a land sale.
    In theory it could result in him having permission to have a 5 m strip of your land consistently dug up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 grasser

i would nt allow the permission, your paying for the field it not like the farmer will be asked to leave his home if his septic tank does not work in accordance with regulations their are many houses in Roscommon with not enough land to build their percolation area, sounds like the farmer is thinking down the road of selling the cottage and who knows who he d sell the right of way to remember percolation areas need servicing.

Advertisement