Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain after Physio treatment for Plantar Fasciitis, Normal?

• 05-06-2013 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

I had my first treatment for plantar fasciitis (caused by too much running too soon) today, which involved lots of heavy manipulation of calf, high energy shock wave therapy and acupuncture. The physio seemed really good and competent and looked liked she knew what she was doing.

I have sever pain in my calf since then (1 hour ago). Just getting a second opinion from others who may have had similar treatment: did you have much pain afterwards? Is that normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

I've come out of Physios in more pain than when I went in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I just developed the same thing in BOTH feet. Very painful. If you like your physio (and they sound like they did a lot of work) can you PM me their details. I am hobbling around like a 90 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

percy212 wrote: »
    I just developed the same thing in BOTH feet. Very painful. If you like your physio (and they sound like they did a lot of work) can you PM me their details. I am hobbling around like a 90 year old.

Sure, I will let you know in a couple of days if the treatment was effective. Too soon to recommend yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'd be a bit sceptical of any physio incorporating acupuncture or dry needling into a treatment. The science doesn't stack up for me (or at least it didn't the last time I looked into it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

murphd77 wrote: »
    I'd be a bit sceptical of any physio incorporating acupuncture or dry needling into a treatment. The science doesn't stack up for me (or at least it didn't the last time I looked into it).

I have to disagree, I had dry needling last year for shin splints and it was fantastic. It was the only thing that worked for me. But horses for coarses i suppose

As regard the pain after physio, I usually come out in more pain that I went in but usually goes after a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

zefer wrote: »
    I have to disagree, I had dry needling last year for shin splints and it was fantastic. It was the only thing that worked for me. But horses for coarses i suppose

As regard the pain after physio, I usually come out in more pain that I went in but usually goes after a few hours

+1 on the dry needling, got it last year for PTTD and this year for a calf strain 3 weeks before the Kildare half - very painful afterwards but the recovery from the injury is very quick, I was fighting fit 2 weeks later. Highly recommend it if the physio is good.

thanks all for replies.

Update: 48 hours on: calf pain all gone (but I didn't have any pain there going in so won't attribute that to physio!) - as for foot/arch/heel pain (plantar blahblah) it's *mostly* gone, there is still hints of it, plus newish slight pain around ankle area. Will give it another 48 hours before posting a final judgement on efficacy, but so far looks promising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

zefer wrote: »

+1 as well had it done twice. Its very sore during and afterwards but it worked a treat both times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I get a touch of this now and then and the few times i couldnt self manage i was sorted in 1 session with Dave Corcoran. He has managed to save me a number of times. A lot of pain sorting it but it has worked the two times ive had to go to him on it over the past few years. I self manage as much as possible though and have been fairly successful with that

• Advertisement

Just a quick update: the pain is completely gone since a few days ago and hasn't been back so I guess whatever she did worked!-

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jules_G

Hi All,
    I have Plantar faciitis, I've had it for several months. I did go to a very good Physio, he stripped my calf muscle through massage and gave me a treatment of dry needles.
    A few days later, a lump appeared on the back of my leg, just above the heel, right on the tendon. while it's not sore to the touch, it is very uncomfortable if I stand for any length of time. The Physio hadn't seen it before nor had my gp. I carried on with the physio for a while, but gave it up as it wasn't helping any.
    I'm not looking for a diagnosis, I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Muldoon27

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    Just a quick update: the pain is completely gone since a few days ago and hasn't been back so I guess whatever she did worked!-
    Hi,
    I found this from a few years ago. Have plantar fasciitis in both feet, as well as shin splints and a couple of other problems. Could you PM me the name of that physio? Also would be interested to know if it recurred in the intervening years and what you did 😊😊😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ger664 wrote: »
    +1 as well had it done twice. Its very sore during and afterwards but it worked a treat both times.

+1 here, I react very well to it.

Advertisement