Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antoher annoying west coast thread

Options
  • 05-06-2013 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Im sure this has been covered already, but I'll ask anyway in the hope that someone has done something similar to this and can provide some advise.

Anyway, heading to Las Vegas in the middle of September this year (from NYC) Landing Tuesday and thinking of staying until Friday.
    Was originally going to just fly back to NYC Friday, but having never been on the west side, am now thinking of maybe trying to see a tiny bit of California with the weekend, and fly home Sunday.

So, what should I do?

My rough plan is to rent a car in Vegas Friday afternoon, drive to somewhere (like Santa Barbara), stay there Friday night and see some sights on Saturday. Then drive somewhere else (No idea where, just has to be towards LA) Saturday afternoon. Stay there Sat night and see some sights Sunday morning. Finally drop the car off in LAX around 2PM Sunday and fly to NYC.

I know its a very short time to try and see some of California but I dont want to cut into vegas time and have to be back in work Monday morning.

So, any suggestions, anyone done something similar. Im open to doing/seeing anything for those couple of days, I have no previous experiences or preferences.

Four 25 year old males, who wouldnt mind seeing some nice sights along the drive while trying to ease into the low of post-vegas.

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

And I spelt the thread title wrong.... feck sake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

If it was me, I'd spend a day up in Big Bear and then head towards Santa Barbara. Dont bother with spending too much time in LA. You'll drive from Santa Barbara to LA in about 2 1/2 hours. If your flight is at 2pm on Sunday, leaving SB by 9am would leave you with pleny of time.

If you go to SB then heading out to Isla Vista might be a good bet (it's where UCSB is).

You could stay in town too, I'm just back from there and it was boucing last friday night, it's a good town to go out in at the weekends and you don't you don't need to drive in around town as it's pretty small.

If it was me, I'd spend a day up in Big Bear and then head towards Santa Barbara. Dont bother with spending too much time in LA. You'll drive from Santa Barbara to LA in about 2 1/2 hours. If your flight is at 2pm on Sunday, leaving SB by 9am would leave you with pleny of time.

If you go to SB then heading out to Isla Vista might be a good bet (it's where UCSB is).

You could stay in town too, I'm just back from there and it was boucing last friday night, it's a good town to go out in at the weekends and you don't you don't need to drive in around town as it's pretty small.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Couple of questions, Big Bear is what? So head to Big Bear Friday evening, go to Santa Barbara Sat morning and stay there til Sunday morning.

Is Santa Barbara good, I actually know nothing of it, its just the one that everyone seems to mention. Is Isla Vista far from SB, would it take much of the day going out and coming back?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Big Bear is a lake. It's a nice spot, it's a ski resort in the winter and they have a lot of boating and that kind of thing in the summer. Mightn't be everyones cup of tea though.

SB is good, but it's a small city, roughly the same size as Cork. IV is about 20 mins in the car from SB.

Cool, well at least I have a good base of a plan to build upon now.

Thanks very much for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

delaney001 wrote: »
    My rough plan is to rent a car in Vegas Friday afternoon, drive to somewhere (like Santa Barbara), stay there Friday night and see some sights on Saturday. Then drive somewhere else (No idea where, just has to be towards LA) Saturday afternoon. Stay there Sat night and see some sights Sunday morning. Finally drop the car off in LAX around 2PM Sunday and fly to NYC.

wouldn't waste my time driving that distance given your limited time in the country, if you want to go to LA, san diego or san francisco (which would be my recommendation btw) just fly, its cheaper/quicker and there is nothing really to see between vegas and la just open desert for hundreds of miles, you will find much more interesting things in or around vegas itself than on the la/vegas route e.g valley of fire, lake mead (hoover dam), red rock canyon, mount charleston

it could be sunny and 35 degrees on the strip and snowing 30minutes drive away in mount charleston

Advertisement