Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Spots for Outdoor Pints around Dame St / south city centre?

Options
  • 05-06-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just wondering where is good for a few pints in the sun in and around Grafton St, Trinity, Dame St. area? Apart from say the Bailey, Kehoe's etc. Anywhere with reasonably decent seating areas that I'm forgetting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

I believe Grogan's Castle Lounge has some outdoor tables.

It's a somewhat smaller pub than the two you mention, if that matters.

Cheers,

Ac

Their web-site has a few pictures:

http://www.groganspub.ie/?page_id=11

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

The barge in Portobello is a great spot for this. outdoor seating and you can sit by the lock at the grand canal.

also, the bleeding horse in the village quarter.

fitzsimmons in temple bar, has a great rooftop terrace. speaking of which, I believe the rooftop terrace bar is open in the marker hotel, grand canal dock.

mcgrattans just off baggot street has a good one. Also Bia bar just off Grafton street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

liffeylite wrote: »
    The barge in Portobello is a great spot for this. outdoor seating and you can sit by the lock at the grand canal.

fitzsimmons in temple bar, has a great rooftop terrace. speaking of which, I believe the rooftop terrace bar is open in the marker hotel, grand canal dock.

mcgrattans just off baggot street has a good one. Also Bia bar just off Grafton street

It is, a friend posted pictures on Facebook from there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Cheers! Bia Bar could be good as very central, is there much seating outside though? I didn't think there was.. Might do an image search on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

What is the Village Quarter?
    Since when does Dublin have Quarters?
    What other Quarters exist?

riveratom wrote: »
    Cheers! Bia Bar could be good as very central, is there much seating outside though? I didn't think there was.. Might do an image search on it.

It's fairly small and enclosed. Seats about 15 - 20

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    The area of Dublin centred on Wexford Street and Camden Street.
    It has had this one since about 2000, when Village Quarter Ltd was established to promote the area. The company looks to have folded around 2007 but the name it created has stuck.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It has had this one since about 2000, when Village Quarter Ltd was established to promote the area. The company looks to have folded around 2007 but the name it created has stuck.

News to me and I worked on Camden Street for a couple of years in the early 2000's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

BeerNut wrote: »
    News to me and I worked on Camden Street for a couple of years in the early 2000's.

I worked on Camden street a few years ago as well.I go out around there a good bit too. Nobody I know calls it the Village Quarter.

• Advertisement

What other Quarters exist?

The Village quarter is the Camden street/Wexford street strip.

There is a bar/venue in the middle of it called the Village.

Well, technically, Temple Bar is the "cultural quarter" and the council at the moment are promoting the area west of Grafton Street and bordered by South Georges Street as the" Creative quarter".

I think it is a good thing as it encourages a vibe to an area and promotes itself to new relevant businesses. The creative quarter does now have a lot of independent stores and exhibition spaces/ irish artist bases etc.

It would be good to see something done with the area around Dublin castle and St Particks Cathedral. Those streets could play perfect host to street markets, food fairs etc.

It would be good to see something done with the area around Dublin castle and St Particks Cathedral. Those streets could play perfect host to street markets, food fairs etc.

They could call it the "Hilly Quarter". Dames Street and Georges Street could be the "Taxi Jam Quarter".

Another one for you..

shame they don't run their market every weekend,

http://damedistrict.com/news/

I can't see this catching on. Streets are streets and should be called whatever street it is. Inventing "disricts" is a bit silly. Made sense for Temple Bar because the whole area was essentially redeveloped. No need for it in existing areas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Italian quarter is another one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

No need for it in existing areas.
    So it's a thing that doesn't really exist, for which there's no need. Sounds like a self-solving problem to me :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Dub13 wrote: »
    The Italian quarter is another one.

I've heard this too, although calling the three or four Italian restaurants on Bloom Lane a 'quarter' seems quite ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

If you're going as far as the Barge you should check out the Bernard Shaw - it is quite hip though.

Toners on Baggot St also has a large outdoor area out the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Its something i never realised before, but yeah dublin doesnt have any actual beer gardens, whereas not dublin does. They're everywhere (else). In dublin its just a cold uncomfortable smoking area, mostly closed in so you'd reek of smole even from being around it. Not my idea of pleasant. Anyone actually come up with a beer garden in the city, preferably north side, let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Porterhouse North has a nice beer garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

The Pint is my recent favourite bar in Dublin, but it only has a couple of ashtrays out the front.

The Pint is my recent favourite bar in Dublin, but it only has a couple of ashtrays out the front.

It has a big roof beer garden too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

You mean smoking area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Is this new..? Have not been in there in years but don't remember that.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Its something i never realised before, but yeah dublin doesnt have any actual beer gardens, whereas not dublin does. They're everywhere (else). In dublin its just a cold uncomfortable smoking area, mostly closed in so you'd reek of smole even from being around it. Not my idea of pleasant. Anyone actually come up with a beer garden in the city, preferably north side, let me know.

There are plenty of beer gardens in Dublin.

Diceys garden, the Everleigh Garden and the D2 garden are just big beer gardens!

Howl at the moon and mcgrattans in the lane also have good ones.

The Barge lets you sit out at the locks on the grand canal, cant get much more beer garden than that.

Northside, what about the big one inbetween murrays and the living room.

The one in Smyths of Ranelagh is lovely. all decked nicely with hanging flower baskets. Also don't forget the ones in the Dublin mountains, johnny foxes, blue light etc.

The baths in Beggars bush is another nice one. also Ryans in beggars bush.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Is this new..? Have not been in there in years but don't remember that.

It's been there a good while. On the level above the venue. The entrance is beside the row of stand alone toilets

skimpydoo wrote: »
    You mean smoking area.

If they add a plant will it constitute a garden? It has seats and it's outside. What more do you want?

Regarding the notion of "quarters," just southwest of Christchurch the Francis Street area antique merchants define themselves as constituting an "Arts and Antiques Quarter":

http://www.artsandantiquesquarter.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Just go to the pav in Trinity. Guaranteed a space :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Same here and I live around the corner

Advertisement