Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish house price drop

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tootsy70 wrote: »
    One of the maddest towns in ireland. what do you mean when you say this
    It seems to have a great nightlife :) At the moment, it's seen as a great place to have stags and hens (saw very little trouble). At the same time, there were a few pubs that the stags and hens seemed to avoid, so there was something for everyone.

If I were buying a house, I'd want somewhere that I could pop in for some lively music, or have a few quite ones elsewhere. Also, liveliness usually guarantees a hackney service :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The property tax is set at current levels for the next 3 (or is it 5?) years.
    Property price reductions wont affect tax intake until after this period.

That is not in question. Its the future that is in doubt. I doubt it will be linked to price if people believe the values are still high the tax intake will be significantly less in the 4th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

smccarrick wrote: »
    There is also the residential charge to think about- a wholly independent tax, not related to the value of the property- akin to the Council tax in the UK.

Have not heard of this. Any information? Is this the non-residential tax on second dwellings? Or are you referring to a new tax on tenants?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Or are you referring to a new tax on tenants?

And Owner Occupiers. The original proposal was that it was to be implemented from 2017- however it seems to have gone quiet at the moment. The proposal is that its a tax based on being resident in a property, aka a tax on having a roof over your head, independent of the asset tax (aka local property tax).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

unkymo wrote: »
    220 per month.

I'm a bit shocked because I could nearly afford the mortgage on it!

If 2 people got a 100k mortgage over 20 years it works out more or less the same as my rent.

I've absolutely no intention of buying a house now but in a couple of years if the prices are still coming down, who knows!

220 A MONTH???? For a 3 bedroom house????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

MonaPizza wrote: »
    220 A MONTH???? For a 3 bedroom house????

I probably should have said that I'm sharing with another person so its a total of 440 per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

smccarrick wrote: »
    And Owner Occupiers. The original proposal was that it was to be implemented from 2017- however it seems to have gone quiet at the moment. The proposal is that its a tax based on being resident in a property, aka a tax on having a roof over your head, independent of the asset tax (aka local property tax).

I can see how if they introduce that tax on tenants there will be a lot of rumblings. But if they introduce it on owner-occupiers then I'd think there will be all out war- people are not going to accept being taxed twice on their home, regardless of the idea of owning an asset and also living in it.

It has gone very quiet though, they're probably just looking to get the water tax in before concentrating on the residential tax later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Property price reductions wont affect tax intake until after this period.
    They won't affect tax take anyway - as you can be sure the they will be upping the % take year on year - until the 'take' resembles the same levels as is taken in - in council tax up North/across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

RATM wrote: »
    I can see how if they introduce that tax on tenants there will be a lot of rumblings. But if they introduce it on owner-occupiers then I'd think there will be all out war- people are not going to accept being taxed twice on their home, regardless of the idea of owning an asset and also living in it.

It has gone very quiet though, they're probably just looking to get the water tax in before concentrating on the residential tax later

Remember who were talking about here, the irish who roll over and get told what to do. The notion of an all out war is mad, not a chance of it. The fighting irish my bollox. we are a wimp of a nation will always do what were told from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

Just thought id throw this in here. Not a bad price for a house like this and maybe even get it for 30k. IMO, 30k foir a house like this is a good deal but does anyone know what this estate is like. I remember reading that there was lots of travelers in COS and wondering would they all live inhere, hence these prices.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=713579

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

tootsy70 wrote: »
    Just thought id throw this in here. Not a bad price for a house like this and maybe even get it for 30k. IMO, 30k foir a house like this is a good deal but does anyone know what this estate is like. I remember reading that there was lots of travelers in COS and wondering would they all live inhere, hence these prices.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=713579

I'd have been at a friends place a few times in Liscara a few years back and it was always fine. I'd have to dispute that statement with you that there are alot of travellers in COS, not in my experience at all. What would have been in Liscara when I was working there were a good few polish /latvians etc working and living in Carrick. Alot of that rental market has moved on since I'm sure.

Advertisement