Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poor quality images with my HDMI to 3RCA port converter

Options
  • 05-06-2013 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I have recently purchased a HDMI to 3RCA converter to connect my computer (cubbieboard) with HDMI output only to my 32' CRT TV, and I am unhappy with it. The image is so blurry that I can hardly navigate in Android.

The image was much better when playing DVDs.

Is there some tuning or settings I can do to improve that or is that all I can get?

I have tried to play with the Android screen resolution and that did not help much.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

ridelm wrote: »
    ..my 32' CRT TV

If your old CRT TV is not high definition, then it's only PAL resolution, which is roughly equivalent to bog standard VGA ( 640 x 480 ).

Think it's 704×576 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

My friend ,had a tablet archos with hd out ,
    the picture was perfect.on HDTV .
    dvds play at pal resolution,so they look ok.
    you,d be better off buying a laptop with windows xp.
    On adverts ie ,pentium 4 , then use powerstrip free program to set resolution,
    to pal tv.
    cost 100 euro for the laptop,WITH rca out . 1gig ram, dvdrw.15inch screen.
    Unless you can match the resolution of the tv its hardly worth connecting a tablet as The picture will be awful.
    http://www.gdbint.com.au/tech/16x9/

Set resolution to 720x576 if you can, 60mhz max refresh rate.
    IF you install windows,xp, install powerstrip and you,ll get a very good picture,
    I did it on my laptop.

705 X 576 WILL give a worse picture,

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ridelm

@riclad: the display was great on a HDMI display (ie Panasonic of JVC). It's just that at home, I only have the CRT TV now.
    I've got a Win laptop (i5 cpu) but it just has VGA out.

I will try again to play with the settings for the graphic card, Mali400 OpenGL ES GPU. I need to find an equivalent of Powerstrip to be running on Linux. Maybe this one?

http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/QuickStart6.html

@Creeping: thanks for the info on the resolution: PAL is actuallty 768 * 576. The converter has got a switch to for PAL, and another position(SECAM, NTSC ?), I'll look it up this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭zg3409

Your TV is not capable of displaying at higher resolution. Better off getting a TV with HDMI and VGA (PC) inputs.

of course the displays better on a hdtv,
    than sdtv,
    hdtvs are designed to display analog or digital pc signals ,
    most have vga inputs.

You can buy a 21 inch monitor on adverts ie, or a hdtv ,
    cheap,
    ON sdtvs the best you can hope is to watch dvds,or youtube lo res video.
    image is better on dvd, cos dvds are designed for sdtv .resolution .
    Android os has 1 set resolution ,not worth using on an sdtv.
    EVEN a vga monitor crt type 19 inch will give you a better picture ,
    i presume pc has vga out.
    You can buy a standard dvd player with rca out very cheap ,
    some have usb ports on them to play avi, mp4 video files.
    you need to set resolution to 720x576 exactly, to get any decent picture on the tv.
    on jumbletown, adverts ie, free ,
    Theres usually free pc monitors vga ,if you can collect it.

• Advertisement

See here
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/189246/how-set-my-monitor-resolution

so if you are running linux use ,
    xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode "720x576_50.00"

i,m presuming tv refresh rate is 50mhz.pal tv uk.

eg use the terminal to input the text above..
    I think all versions of linux use very similar text commands in the terminal .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

TV refresh rate is 50 Hertz not Megahertz. /pedant /

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 83,314 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not only is going from HDMI (digital) to RCA (analog) going to degrade your signal quality but as others have pointed out, its not high res.

To give you an example of how much definition that is, this is a 576x480 resolution image:

258530.PNG

Notice most importantly just the physical size of the image, not even the fact that you cant see any details. Look at it in relation to your PC/Tablet screen that you're viewing this thread on: the picture is fecking tiny. It's low resolution. In short, you aren't going to do much of anything on a CRT except watch movies.

As it is I would only suggest a 1080p HDTV as an external monitor if you sit far enough away from the screen: about 6-8 ft from a 42" screen. If you want to be much closer, consider an actual PC monitor, or if you're a psychopath with money, a 4K TV if they've hit Europe yet.

You can watch dvds, and sd youtube video, on a sd tv ,thats about it.

Advertisement