Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what would?

Options
  • 05-06-2013 4:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭

What would be the best place to do voluntary work for the summer and there on, I'm looking for something that would look good on my cv and also something that I can do on weekends or even just one or two days during the week.. I'v never trained but I'd like maybe something in first aid or something like that, Been meaning to do it for a while but havnt a clue where to start or who to contact.

Thanks lads/ladies :D,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

What organisations have you spoken to in your area already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

jamesr123 wrote: »
    What would be the best place to do voluntary work for the summer and there on, I'm looking for something that would look good on my cv and also something that I can do on weekends or even just one or two days during the week.. I'v never trained but I'd like maybe something in first aid or something like that, Been meaning to do it for a while but havnt a clue where to start or who to contact.

Thanks lads/ladies :D,

There are 4 first aid organisations which provide training and cover duties
    -Order of Malta
    -St John's
    -Red Cross
    -Civil Defence

If you post your area people might be able to assist more, depends on where your based as to which units are active nearby

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

timmywex wrote: »
    There are 4 first aid organisations which provide training and cover duties
    -Order of Malta
    -St John's
    -Red Cross
    -Civil Defence

If you post your area people might be able to assist more, depends on where your based as to which units are active nearby

I'm living in Dublin 10 (ballyfermot) and have a lot of time free, especially during these summer months..

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

First Aid:
    St John's Ambulance: Meet Thursday 7 to 9pm in Health Centre.
    Contact: Bryan Branigan -  bryan.branigan@stjohnballyfermot.ie First Aid & Caring for the Sick.
    (Order of Malta Ambulance Corps also quite active in the parish. Meet in Stewart's hospital Thurs 8.30pm)

http://www.stmatthewsballyfermot.com/organisations_st_matthew_bally.htm
    I'm living in Dublin 10 (ballyfermot) and have a lot of time free, especially during these summer months..

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

First Aid:
    St John's Ambulance: Meet Thursday 7 to 9pm in Health Centre.
    Contact: Bryan Branigan -  bryan.branigan@stjohnballyfermot.ie First Aid & Caring for the Sick.
    (Order of Malta Ambulance Corps also quite active in the parish. Meet in Stewart's hospital Thurs 8.30pm)

http://www.stmatthewsballyfermot.com/organisations_st_matthew_bally.htm

Actually, the contact in ST John is no longer involved in the organisation. There is a new officer in charge who is currently away.

I'm SJ myself , if you send your details to volunteer@stjohn.ie , they will send your details to the powers that be in Ballyfermot Division.

Just bear in mind that in order to join , you need Garda Vetting and this is currently taking in excess of 3 months. That goes for all organisations unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

To be honest with you, I dont think just the summer is long enough comittment to get the most out of voluntary ambulance organisations. They are long term things in my opinion.

To be honest with you, I dont think just the summer is long enough comittment to get the most out of voluntary ambulance organisations. They are long term things in my opinion.

no, I intended to start in the summer and work on from there but I forgot about the waiting for the garda vetting :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

no, I intended to start in the summer and work on from there but I forgot about the waiting for the garda vetting :rolleyes:

ah ok. Well usually you can do most stuff anyway without the garda vetting. Its not much of a problem.

ah ok. Well usually you can do most stuff anyway without the garda vetting. Its not much of a problem.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    Actually, the contact in ST John is no longer involved in the organisation. There is a new officer in charge who is currently away.

I'm SJ myself , if you send your details to volunteer@stjohn.ie , they will send your details to the powers that be in Ballyfermot Division.

Just bear in mind that in order to join , you need Garda Vetting and this is currently taking in excess of 3 months. That goes for all organisations unfortunately.

Keeping this is in mind, you can TRAIN without Garda vetting in the Irish Red Cross (SOP's I'm familiar with).

• Advertisement

Miike wrote: »
    Keeping this is in mind, you can TRAIN without Garda vetting in the Irish Red Cross (SOP's I'm familiar with).

And that goes for SJ as well , in fact it is recommended as you will get to see if you will enjoy it ( of course you will :D)

Well lads after a good think I think The civil Defence might be the best one to join for me.

I was thinking i'd be intrested mainly in the casualty service or welfare service. Is there anything I need to know before filling out the application form ?

Well lads after a good think I think The civil Defence might be the best one to join for me.

I was thinking i'd be intrested mainly in the casualty service or welfare service. Is there anything I need to know before filling out the application form ?

Contact your local civ def and make sure they will be training over the summer. A lot of organisations focus mainly on getting those trained out on duties over the summer (Since college, school, etc are off) and it also gives the instructors a break (Heaven knows we need one!).

Just a heads up in case you apply all guns blazing and you're totally on stand-by for the summer.

I should be starting in September :D The women told me they only start training in September but I don't mind waiting.. I was wondering Would there be any driving involved atall?

I should be starting in September :D The women told me they only start training in September but I don't mind waiting.. I was wondering Would there be any driving involved atall?

As long as you have a full clean license, yes. I've never heard of an organisation that had enough drivers :pac:

Miike wrote: »
    As long as you have a full clean license, yes. I've never heard of an organisation that had enough drivers :pac:

Grand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You need to be over 25 for CD/OMAC and 21 (I think for St. John) to drive their vehicles.

23 , some vehicles are B licensed and some aren't , but you don't automatically go on to the driving panel until assessed as competent.

23 , some vehicles are B licensed and some aren't , but you don't automatically go on to the driving panel until assessed as competent.

I assume by the '23' at the start of your post your saying you have to be 23 years of age to drive?

Thanks for the advice lads, I can't ait to start in September now.. Women said they had 260 people on file already :eek:

yes that would be 23 year old to drive on SJ vehicles.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that CD have 260 applications on file but if they have , then fair play to them.

Suppose it could be 260 spread across all aspects of CD but I'm not in the know on such figures.

Either way, best of luck to OP.

• Advertisement

yes that would be 23 year old to drive on SJ vehicles.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that CD have 260 applications on file but if they have , then fair play to them.

Suppose it could be 260 spread across all aspects of CD but I'm not in the know on such figures.

Either way, best of luck to OP.

ye, she told me they are usually broken up in classes of about 60 people? I thought 60 a class was very high number in 1 class?

Also how big a part do the casualty/welfare service play, I ask because I went through their facebook page and most of the pictures seems to only have the Afs included and from what i'v read afs is really, really popular...

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

does this apply if you have a long service with omac and want to transfer over to sj

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

i have A B and D licence - all full
    also siting theory this week to obtain the C licence

also im 36 , would that be okay for sj driving

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

does this apply if you have a long service with omac and want to transfer over to sj[/QUOTE

don't think it makes a difference

does this apply if you have a long service with omac and want to transfer over to sj[/QUOTE

don't think it makes a difference

As limericklad87 said I can confirm that it doesn't impact the decision.

You need to be vetted be each organisation individually as dictated by the GVU :mad:

I'd say the long waiting to be vetted is making a lot of people not bother joining many of the voluntary organisations.

Some organisations allow you to be active during the wait period for your vetting if you've been vetted by a different organisation recent enough. Confirm this with your local branch though.

Advertisement