Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Home Economics before/after***

• 05-06-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

So how did everyone find it? :) I thought it was fine except the short questions!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

The short questions were so hard! :eek: Question 1 and the elective were nice enough questions though! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Worst paper I've ever done and I'm not even exaggerating. Nearly everything I studied didn't come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Ya one girl in my exam hall really wants the A and she came out in tears after it! I feel so sorry for her! :(

I've been dreaming of an A1 since fifth year, got an A2 in the mocks and was like yeah I'm feeling good about this!
    Then from when I went in it all went down hill from there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Don't do it, but I've spoken to a couple of the girls in my year and they thought it was shocking, and some cried during the exam. Hope it wasn't as bad as all that for the rest of you, can't imagine getting a genuinely rotten paper.

• Advertisement

I'm an idiot for coming home and checking the book only to realise I go completely mixed up between cis and trans fatty acids :(
    Wish I studied more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TentacleCubes

I have pretty mixed feeling on it right now :(
    During the exam I felt it was fine apart from one or two or the short answer questions, but during the whole thing I could just feel myself melting into the paper. It's a bit inhumane to have us all locked up in a stuffy hall with the sun glaring on a select few :pac:
    I feel that I didn't write enough at all because my wrist was cramping up big time and my pen just didn't want to grip at all.
    Ah well, time will tell!

The only positive way to look at it is that everyone thought it was horrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

The short questions were absolutely horrific but I pretty much expected that :( Question One was perfect, and I did the resource management and social studies questions so they were fine. Elective was grand but I've convinced myself I left out a question and for the last part of the quetsion on the family I could not remember the name of the child protection acts at all so I just started crying and moved on lol. Hopefully a C1/B3 with my project, I'd do anything to get the B I really would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Question 1 in OL was horrible. The mock exam we did was so much easier :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 hiiiisam

Was banking on marriage/divorce to come up but no luck... Thank god I did a good project and question 1, saved me from failing I'd say. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

What's peoples opinions on Family question part C on the two acts.

For the first one, I named it Child Safety and not Child care. My content for the act was accurate but I'm worried that I won't get any of the 7 marks as I mixed up the act title! I know my second act was a dog's dinner, just had no time to rack the brain(finished with less than a minute to spare after having to fly through the paper) so I ended up making up a 'Family Protection Act' which I know will be 0/7.

Anyone reckon I'll get the 5 for content and just lose the two marks for act name?
    It's only 14 marks but you never know how specific the marking scheme will be for some of the answers so you don't know how much marks you may lose elsewhere.

Have I improved from the mocks? (69%). I feel I have as my question one on lipids was much better than the mocks and I lose 40 marks there, and I know I didn't lose that much this time, well I hope I didn't, but I'm worried over the label question, they could have a very narrow range of answers on the scheme!

I just don't know. I wanted to get up to 80% minimum but the more I try to nit pick my answers at this stage I'm working myself up to a fail. Ugh.

I don't think many people got the acts right so you never know!

I had the acts memorised for weeks and wrote about the Childcare Act 1991 and the Family Law Act 1976..that's about the only thing on the paper apart from Q1 I was happy to see

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ele1992

Do you think you'd still get marks if you don't have the year down for the act.. like 1976 or whatever?

ele1992 wrote: »
    Do you think you'd still get marks if you don't have the year down for the act.. like 1976 or whatever?

Definitely! I'd say it was 7m each, and 2m going for the name and 5m for the content, so you'd probably get 1/2m for the name if you didn't put the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ele1992

Definitely! I'd say it was 7m each, and 2m going for the name and 5m for the content, so you'd probably get 1/2m for the name if you didn't put the year :)

oright good :) could not remember 1976 for the life of me :o anybody do Q4? :/

I now think I wrote Family Protection Act 1976...oh god.
    If Q4 was the one on resource management I laughed at it and crossed it out as quickly as I could :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I did. Part A was grand job. B was abit odd. Were we expected to go into detail as in how we planned to decorate or maybe what foods we planned to serve etc? I tried to be safe and got all the basics in such as needs goals values(religion graduation or secular) etc and abit of detailed regarding what students wanted. Money time resources dealt aswell etc. Then throughputs,had the basics such planning and the decision making and to utilise resources. I stuck in a sentence for an example something like "we could plan to have a secular graduation ceremony with students staff and parents with refreshments afterwards". I didn't really know which tense to base stuff on, so I just went with future as I had just been elected and had to make a plan so I said I'd be in future tense for throughput stuff, like "we will make decisions on...etc". Outputs is basics etc. Awkward question really being so specific about a graduation, it would have been easier if it was just a question on the system rather than being part of a specific event.

Part C...can't even remember!

And tbh, I don't want to think anymore...the more I think the more I worry about doing terrible. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Straight Talking Online Frank

suppose this would be a good place to pick up women, anyone who needs comforting gis us a shout! sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

I studied sensory analysis cos i had a sneaky feeling there might be a short q or something on it and BOOM full long question!!
    But then I was running out of time and went on to my elective and only had like 7 minutes left to try do another long question :O so basically I didn't get the whole paper done :(
    I think I'm the only person who thought the short q's weren't that bad though? :P there was a few tricky ones but remember they mark your best 10! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Which is grand if you were able to answer ten...unlike me...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

ynwa14 wrote: »
    Which is grand if you were able to answer ten...unlike me...

Haha well i had to guess a few myself but sure better than nothing! Was better to be asked what discretionary expenditure was rather than the working principle of a food processor anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 roberth

I thought it was exceptionally difficult. I was banking on an A and I am not feeling too confident about that at all now. The whole paper was challenging, at times I felt like I knew the material but I hadn't a bull's clue if I was answering the question right. That's the main thing that's worrying me. If we all did badly then they'll have to mark us up so that's something positive to keep in mind! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aoife Brady

was so dissapointed with home ec, was banking on the A, no im very unsure. short questions were very specific but ok if you kne them. Q1 i thought the question "what are fatty acids" was very broad and not specific in what they were looking for? were we to talk about trans/cis essential fatty acids? the structure of a general fatty acid?? the question on food poisoning bacteria was a bit mean asking how did they produce i thought and the social elective was diabolical, primary school is only about half a page in our book and there isnt a huge difference between educational resource and special need resource in primary schools! so peeved off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

was so dissapointed with home ec, was banking on the A, no im very unsure. short questions were very specific but ok if you kne them. Q1 i thought the question "what are fatty acids" was very broad and not specific in what they were looking for? were we to talk about trans/cis essential fatty acids? the structure of a general fatty acid?? the question on food poisoning bacteria was a bit mean asking how did they produce i thought and the social elective was diabolical, primary school is only about half a page in our book and there isnt a huge difference between educational resource and special need resource in primary schools! so peeved off

The short questions are very specific every year in home ec.The fatty acid question wasn't worth much at all so i wouldn't worry. i thought the elective was lovely!i just didn't do that primary school bit i did the B instead which was poverty because that was expected.

I messed up bits of it completely! Drew the omega starting with oh instead of ho! Hate making these stupid mistakes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Jade. wrote: »
    I messed up bits of it completely! Drew the omega starting with oh instead of ho! Hate making these stupid mistakes!

ah i understand its annoying but sounds like little mistakes so nothing to worry about! :)

I did the bacteria q and when it got to the reproduction of them I stopped and forgot to go back even though I know it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Aoife Brady

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    The short questions are very specific every year in home ec.The fatty acid question wasn't worth much at all so i wouldn't worry. i thought the elective was lovely!i just didn't do that primary school bit i did the B instead which was poverty because that was expected.

thanks ! ya you're right! no point worrying now i guess! must focus on the next few and then we're all out the gap!

Advertisement