Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How / When to plant carrot seedlings

Options
  • 05-06-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've sown some carrot seedlings and I think they're ready to go into the ground.
    Maybe not, maybe they're too small yet?
    Please see attached pic.

Currently I have them in trays, on a table in the garden.
    Can anyone give me advice about planting them in the ground and how to prevent carrot fly.

Many Thanks for any advice and help.
    05062013126.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Carrots and parsnips are best sown directly where they will grow. Sometimes you can sow in modules but you would need to transplant them very quickly. Otherwise the root which is actually the carrot will start to run round the end of the container. The idea is to have them grow straight down. Bottom line, get them in the ground. The soil needs to be very loose and free of stones. To avoid carrot root fly make a frame covered with fleece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

redser7 wrote: »
    Carrots and parsnips are best sown directly where they will grow. Sometimes you can sow in modules but you would need to transplant them very quickly. Otherwise the root which is actually the carrot will start to run round the end of the container. The idea is to have them grow straight down. Bottom line, get them in the ground. The soil needs to be very loose and free of stones. To avoid carrot root fly make a frame covered with fleece.

thank you for reply redder, that makes sense alright.

Advertisement