Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

:confused:

:)

I know your only poking fun but I meant compared to marathons in the UK! Reading back it didn't come out right.

It just seems we do pay over the odds on entrance fees that's all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

To be honest some of the Irish marathons are way overpriced. If you don't like the price of them, don't do them. I payed 33 to do Newry recently and only signed up the day before it and collected my number on the morning. If that was many races down here the sign up would be well closed, they would make you collect you number the day before and would charge you a stupid fee for late entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

I haven't ran too many races outside of Ireland so can't comment too much on this topic. But I would really appreciate it if a person who has actually organised a commercial race could provide a rough break down of their costs (in terms of %). I'd like to know where my entry fee is going.

Also, I've a few things to say about Irish races:
    1) For the larger, more expensive races (e.g. > €30) post the out the race number. It's proper customer service.
    2) For AAI members there should be some sort of discount (10% - 20%). This would encourage more people to join a club. More club members, more runners, more entries, (lower costs?). Everybody wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I know your only poking fun but I meant compared to marathons in the UK! Reading back it didn't come out right.

It just seems we do pay over the odds on entrance fees that's all :)
    Yeah, just poking fun!

I wonder how much of the price difference is down to sponsorship? If you look at the UK marathons you've mentioned, they have a large range of sponsors, which typically includes the local councils as well as large commercial businesses. As we know, Dublin marathon has struggled to find a suitable title sponsor for the last two years. I would imagine that the other Irish marathons are in a similar position.

Insurance could also be a significant cost differentiation (we don't have cheap insurance in this country either!). I'm sure there is some profiteering (particularly with some of the smaller races), but many of these races are organized by 'not-for-profit' organizations, where any surplus funds are routed to clubs and charities.

Advertisement