Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I be sued for other parties legal fees if I lose a civil case brought against me?

• 05-06-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Title pretty much explains the scenario, a company are suing me for a certain sum of money but I'm just wondering if I lose the case do I have to pay their solicitor fees too? This is a civil matter, not criminal - and they are instigating the proceedings. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Under Irish law, in civil matters the norm is that costs follow the event, that means he who wins gets his reasonable costs paid by the other side. If proceedings have issued against you seek legal advice sooner rather than later. If the event is insured forward proceedings to your insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 username304

The judge can oder costs to be paid by the losing party. This is a principle of civil law cases in this country. Punative damages are generally not applicable in this jurisdiction though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

y0pperz wrote: »
    Title pretty much explains the scenario, a company are suing me for a certain sum of money but I'm just wondering if I lose the case do I have to pay their solicitor fees too? This is a civil matter, not criminal - and they are instigating the proceedings. Thanks.

How does a situation even arise? Non payment for goods or services you used???

Could it not be settled out of court to save a load of hassle & massive legal fees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

househero wrote: »
    How does a situation even arise? Non payment for goods or services you used???

Could it not be settled out of court to save a load of hassle & massive legal fees?

Yes, over 90% of civil cases are settled before trial. Costs then a matter for negotiation depending on.

Advertisement