Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths paper 1

• 05-06-2013 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Is this all we have to cover for Paper 1 Maths?

• Algebra
    • Differentiation
    • Integration
    • Complex Numbers
    • Sequences and Series
    • Financial Maths
    • Proof by Induction

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SmidgeBall

yeah and real number (But they can't really ask you much on that, make sure you know how to draw a line the square root of 2 and the square root of 3) and area and volume may appear in paper one too, but again you can't really study for that at this stage :) At least for higher level, you didn't specify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

SmidgeBall wrote: »
    yeah and real number (But they can't really ask you much on that, make sure you know how to draw a line the square root of 2 and the square root of 3) and area and volume may appear in paper one too, but again you can't really study for that at this stage :) At least for higher level, you didn't specify.

integration is higher only if i'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SmidgeBall

I don't know the ordinary course at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

As far as learning work goes (stuff you can just regurgitate on the page if it comes up), I've got a bit of a list. Not sure if it's complete so if anyone else thinks of something else throw it up and together we'll have everything covered!

- Proof a number is irrational by contradiction
    - Constructing root 2, root 3
    - Derive formula for an arithmetic and geometric progression
    - Prove De Moivre's theorem by induction
    - Differentiation by 1st principles of: x^2, x^3, 1/x, x^1/2, Sin x, Cos x.
    - 4 Calculus Theorems

Missing anything? Or is there anything there I don't actually need? =P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Informaniac

I think ur missing the nine theorems.....

• Advertisement

I think ur missing the nine theorems.....

What, the geometry ones? That's paper two..

oh crud yh ur right thats paper two....sorry dont really know the project maths course as we only started doing it september last year and now i have to go sit it on friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 moss1234

ok whats the
    and
    - 4 Calculus Theorems ? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

As far as learning work goes (stuff you can just regurgitate on the page if it comes up), I've got a bit of a list. Not sure if it's complete so if anyone else thinks of something else throw it up and together we'll have everything covered!

- 4 Calculus Theorems

What?

I don't know if we need them or not, but our teacher did them with us and they're in the book I have..

A short derivation of the two formulae: arithmetic: n/2[2a-(n-1)d] and geometric: [a(1-r^n)]/(1-r)

I can stick them up if no one has them but the fact that no one has them means I probably don't need to know them in the first place.. They're very simple though, nothing to be worrying about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

I've never come across the derivation of the series formulae. What is it?

Hang on, I will write them out and stick them up here in the next while. Could somebody with a greater knowledge of the syllabus than I please clarify though? I don't want to be giving people stuff to learn if they don't actually need to learn it, we've enough on our plates. :P

pls put them up our teacher didnt bother with that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Gonna do every paper 1 I can get my hands on tomorrow

Okay here they are. Sorry if they're not great, have to do them in a hurry because I'm off to bed! Awkwardness of emailing them to myself from the iPod so I could then try and get them to Boards on the laptop!

Anyway for the Arithmetic Series:
    Write it out
    Write it out in reverse
    Add both lines
    Divide by 2

Geometric:
    Write it out
    multiply by constant - r
    Get the difference (Sn - rSn)
    You'll be left with a-r^n
    Factorise both sides as shown
    Isolate Sn

Simples! :)

Now to the important question, do we even need these?

?ui=2&ik=eb506df319&view=att&th=13f1638d05a38e9d&attid=0.3&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8hFMOH7yFsqfNhqS6M9fN_&sadet=1370467666640&sads=fIILu5eplAbFiym6kzr217vEbtU
    ?ui=2&ik=eb506df319&view=att&th=13f1638d05a38e9d&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&sadnir=1&saduie=AG9B_P8hFMOH7yFsqfNhqS6M9fN_&sadet=1370467639551&sads=evzaBzrVyw30aY53SIW8GncwE9U

If these images don't work or are illegible I am sorry, I am exhausted and going to bed. I will write them out neater and take a better photo in the morning before Eng P2 if it transpires that we do actually need them and people are still stuck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Okay here they are. Sorry if they're not great, have to do them in a hurry because I'm off to bed! Awkwardness of emailing them to myself from the iPod so I could then try and get them to Boards on the laptop!

Anyway for the Arithmetic Series:
    Write it out
    Write it out in reverse
    Add both lines
    Divide by 2

Geometric:
    Write it out
    multiply by constant - r
    Get the difference (Sn - rSn)
    You'll be left with a-r^n
    Factorise both sides as shown
    Isolate Sn

Simples! :)

Now to the important question, do we even need these?

?ui=2&ik=eb506df319&view=att&th=13f1638d05a38e9d&attid=0.3&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8hFMOH7yFsqfNhqS6M9fN_&sadet=1370467666640&sads=fIILu5eplAbFiym6kzr217vEbtU
    ?ui=2&ik=eb506df319&view=att&th=13f1638d05a38e9d&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&sadnir=1&saduie=AG9B_P8hFMOH7yFsqfNhqS6M9fN_&sadet=1370467639551&sads=evzaBzrVyw30aY53SIW8GncwE9U

If these images don't work or are illegible I am sorry, I am exhausted and going to bed. I will write them out neater and take a better photo in the morning before Eng P2 if it transpires that we do actually need them and people are still stuck!

I really don't think they are for learning, they just show the derivation of the formulas. I have the Sn learned just incase but I haven't even seen the first one!

I'm strangely excited for this exam...
    (calculus save me <3)

I really don't think they are for learning, they just show the derivation of the formulas. I have the Sn learned just incase but I haven't even seen the first one!

Ah well. They're so simple that once you've seen them once you'll know them if it does happen to come up. I'm so used to having to be able to reproduce derivations from physics that I probably got a bit carried away here. :p

Side note: This course is brand new and therefore impossible to predict, but anybody reckon I have any weight in saying that there'll be a long-ish question on Financial Maths because it's so new and they'll want to try it out?

Also I was originally thinking we'd get some of the calculus proofs seeing as I heard they're not on the project maths course and therefore we're the last year to have them. Then again, if they're getting all geared up for project maths in the first place, they might just neglect them.

These are just guesses on what we might see, to be clear. I'm not trying to guide my study or predict the paper or anything since it's not possible with such a new course. It's just fun to hypothesise! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Its on Wikipedia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I can't see those images as my internet is ridiculous but is that just making a geometric/arithmetic series using variables instead of numbers. Nothing's stopping them asking it tbh, it was on one of the mock papers as far as I know! Once you know what you're doing it should be grand.

Something it might be worth having a look over as you can learn it would be the volume proofs for integration, you can be asked to prove the formulae for the volume of a sphere and cylinder. :)

• Advertisement

Slow Show wrote: »
    I can't see those images as my internet is ridiculous but is that just making a geometric/arithmetic series using variables instead of numbers. Nothing's stopping them asking it tbh, it was on one of the mock papers as far as I know! Once you know what you're doing it should be grand.

Something it might be worth having a look over as you can learn it would be the volume proofs for integration, you can be asked to prove the formulae for the volume of a sphere and cylinder. :)

Yeah my friend was actually saying that. I mean if you're good with integration and use the formula from the tables you can usually just figure it out, but I'd much rather be familiar with them so that it's one less thing to stress about on the day. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I dont know what that is :(

I dont know if this is true or not but a lot of people in my school said half the sixth years who sat project maths in the mock exam failed.....can anybody clarify this? please...

Ah jeez, really?! They should really make the syllabus more clear...only finding this out a day before Paper 1. *Ugh yet another thing to learn*

I dont know if this is true or not but a lot of people in my school said half the sixth years who sat project maths in the mock exam failed.....can anybody clarify this? please...

Yes apparently the DEB was quite difficult and I'd agree...I'd like to think it won't reflect the actual exam but that may be wishful thinking!

Wasn't there a 97% pass rate in honours maths last year, though? Don't worry guys, if people start failing it'll make their precious new course look bad. Short of you leaving everything blank and/or getting absolutely everything completely wrong in both papers, there is a very low chance of failure, I'd imagine. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EvM

- 4 Calculus Theorems

How might one prove De Moivre's with induction?

EvM wrote: »
    How might one prove De Moivre's with induction?

What book do you have? I have "Active Maths 4" and it's in it. Hang out, I'll write it out anyway, to make sure I know it off myself. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

im in a class of around 15 adults, one of us passed the mock, i got 39.5% still cannot decide if i should drop to foundation or not, im completley unprepared but i might just risk the OL paper tomorrow, i would be totally fine with just getting a D

• Advertisement

Apologise again for the quality of the photo but hopefully it's legible. This is how I prove De Moivre's theorem by induction. It's actually not too bad and if you remember the rule for multiplying polar numbers together then it doesn't take long either!

1KYDjlR.jpg

Advertisement