Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help finding a router

Options
  • 05-06-2013 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi

I am currently with imagine on an Eircom 3mg dsl line for broadband ,using the ZyEXL P-660HW-T1 v3 router ,I have several devices connected , Xbox 360 ,PS3 4 smart phones and a laptop .

The gaming consoles work fine Nat open ,and laptop no probs problem lies with the phones
    constantly dropping WiFi signal ,and strangely
    in order to send webtexts / Viber messages I
    have to turn on and off WiFi on the phone in
    order for it to send ! and a long delay in
    recieving notifications also , WiFi is not on sleep
    on the phones ,actually always on .There are no chordless phones or baby monitors near the router and I have elevated its position too .

I have read endless threads on here about this router and the problems people have with it ,and I have tried all WiFi channels etc ... So I am looking at buying a new router ,spotted one in Argos a Netgear Wireless N 300 for €65 will this do the job ? Or am I just missing something in the ZyXEL settings . Any advice appreciated thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭zg3409

Sounds like it is a problem with the phones.

The unit you suggested does not connect to a phone line. If you are going to replace the entire unit you need one with an ADSL modem inbuilt.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

At this stage with internet options changing so much it would be better to "future proof" and buy what is usually called a "cable" router this could be used with your present model in bridge mode.

The one you have in mind would be a cable router from your description and will mean putting the zyxel into bridge mode. Remember you will only get the benefits of the n standard if all the devices on the wifi network are also n.

Advertisement