Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you use Siri?

• 05-06-2013 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if many of you 4S or 5 users use Siri much and if so, what for?

I upgraded a few days ago to a 5 and while I've used it as a novelty, I'm wondering just how much use it gets from those where the new novelty has worn off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I use Siri all the time. Especially for reminders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

When I first got the iPhone I would find any excuse to use it but then the novelty of a talking phone gradually petered out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Occasionally use it in the car to call someone. You can activate it by holding down the centre button on the Apple earphones so can make a call without taking my eyes off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Never.

I prefer not to talk to my phone. I guess some people use it because it's there rather than out of necessity.

Of course it has it's uses for those who genuinely need such functionality.

I also like to set alarms using Siri :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nope. I have it switched off. It's useless to me without proper Irish language and location support.

I still have high hopes that Siri will improve in time, but Apple are at a disadvantage in that they don't own a search engine, meaning speed is probably always going to be an issue compared to Google Voice Search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Irish language and location support.

I take it you mean Irish accent, not language.

Irish accents are pretty diverse so can't imagine it being much better then UK English. I suppose they could have a version that doesn't pronounce "Th"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 cvjointsally

I find it pretty useless aswell, it never understands me so I don't use it! I'm Irish too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I use it for music in the car, and sending texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

mad muffin wrote: »
    I use Siri all the time. Especially for reminders
    mad muffin wrote: »
    I also like to set alarms using Siri :pac:
    I find using it for reminders and alarms is where it is a genuine helpful shortcut.
    3DataModem wrote: »
    I use it for music in the car, and sending texts.
    For sending texts though, I find it utterly useless. Anything from a stutter, to a pause or a mispronunciation and it makes no sense at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Used spire a few times on my iPhone 4 and used it I'd say 10 times max in my iPhone 5

Btw Siri does start to understand you better the more you use it. At the beginning I was like, Siri doesn't understand a word I say, now Siri is spot on 90% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭r0qi4162fux9kg

Just wondering if many of you 4S or 5 users use Siri much and if so, what for?

I upgraded a few days ago to a 5 and while I've used it as a novelty, I'm wondering just how much use it gets from those where the new novelty has worn off.

I use it with Siriproxy to control things at home. Heating, lights, hot water etc.
    Handy roaring 'bed' / 'Good Night' at him which turns all the lights off in the house off!

I wouldn't use it at all for anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 cvjointsally

Huh, must start using it a bit more then! Is a handy feature if it worked for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nope, don't use it, it's awful. Really bad at speech recognition. And I have a pretty neutral accent. I've found the speech recognition on my Nokia Lumia 800 is far superior to Siri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Tried it for a few weeks when I first got my 4S. Never use it now and find it useless and very slow. Google’s speech recognition on my Android is far superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

every so often. my second work phone is a 4s so it gets turned off in the evenings, but i use it to tell time if its in my pocket (through headphones) or play music, and the for the first time a couple of weeks ago when i was in dublin i asked "take me to...." and it kicked in apple maps, plotted the route and guided me there (without mistakes i might add!) and to set alarms.

i dont use it everyday, but when i need it, it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I use it set reminders thats about it what else can it do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I use it for alarms, reminders, emails, texts, weather checks, web searches. I also used it yesterday and finding out the Lions rugby match times this weekend. Worked a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Use it to set alarms, reminders and to reply to texts via my ear pods mic when I'm out walking or place calls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

For calling on the hands free and setting alarm clock reminders. It's not much use for anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Don't really use it. But during the winter it was handy. While wearing gloves if I wanted to make a call all I had to do is put the phone to my ear and say the persons name. That part was handy. But hanging up always had to be done by the recipient. Still a great feature that makes Siri worth it by itself. Mainly use it as a novelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

I've often used it when I'm carrying stuff if I need to make a quick call or something and I've found it has gotten used to my accent up to where it's nearly dead on every time now.

I would use it more, but its very slow. Seeing as it needs data to work it only works well on WiFi for me, on data its very sluggish so I more often than not just close Siri and manually do the task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,894 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Have never used it and don't think I ever will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

forgot it was actually there until saw this thread

Never use it

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I find it bizarre that some many people don't use one of the most useful and fun apps on the gadget that they spend so much money on ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Piliger wrote: »
    I find it bizarre that some many people don't use one of the most useful and fun apps on the gadget that they spend so much money on ....

vast majority of irish smartphone users are either unwilling or unable to use their phones for more than the mere basics.

"sure i'm no good at this stuff"

the irony is that siri et al make it easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I like Siri, while I don't use it that much I would miss it if it was gone. I find it very handy if I am cooking or washing up and don't want to mess up my phone. I think it works pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Useless. It doesn't understand my Donegal accent.

• Advertisement

I've yet to use Siri & have it understand what I'm saying correctly.

For example, I'll say exactly the above passage to Siri:

Tapping the microphone.....now.

"I'm getting Siri would understand anything"

See?

Advertisement