Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you use Siri?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I've yet to use Siri & have it understand what I'm saying correctly.

For example, I'll say exactly the above passage to Siri:

Tapping the microphone.....now.

"I'm getting Siri would understand anything"

See?

I'm sorry, but I don't even understand that?:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

vast majority of irish smartphone users are either unwilling or unable to use their phones for more than the mere basics.

"sure i'm no good at this stuff"

the irony is that siri et al make it easier.

People with this mindset are mostly Android users in my experience. Everyone I know with an iPhone seems to know how to make the most of it. A lot of Android users use their phone to make calls and nothing else. Browser statistics would seem to back this up.

Siri (and voice recognition in general) just isn't that useful to most people. Although I liked DubDJ's suggestion for using it during the cold weather without taking your gloves off. I didn't have earphones with a mic at the time or else I probably would have done this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The main problem with voice recognition is that it's public. And most of the time (work, commuting, etc) we are in public or at least in the company of others, when voice recognition wouldn't be appropriate to use, either because you look odd or because you don't want to be dictating an SMS with five people listening to you.
    Thus, even when we're in private we're in the mode of manual input so we don't bother with voice recognition.

The main reason I don't use it when it's a good time, such as in the car, is because it's so unreliable. I ask it to dial a number and it will get it completely wrong, meaning I have to panic to cancel the call. Simple commands - "Read message", "Stop music", etc are great. But dictation and handling names are where Siri in particular falls flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Piliger wrote: »
    I find it bizarre that some many people don't use one of the most useful and fun apps on the gadget that they spend so much money on ....

You think it's useful and fun. I don't.

I don't see how it's fun to talk to a phone.

What's fun for me is the fact that I no longer require a scanner to email documents, access to a multitude of options for music and video, a good camera I always have at my disposal, instant upload to flickr and good navigation options.

All far more useful than Siri I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jpr57852

It's really easy to set up reminders. It's also cool for finding out weather and stuff quickly. I can't think of any more, but I do use it quite often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I hear the scottish accent doesn't go sown too well with Siri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

i just swear at it to see what it responds! when i fell im not physically able to type into google what im looking for i might start using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 marconi2.0

Ask Siri who let the dogs out rather funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I've tried it. It can be somewhat useful, but I find it a bit slow in general and not very helpful for things like txts. I turned it on there for a couple of minutes after reading this thread, but it's off again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

I find it great in the car - if you've told Siri "Mary is my wife", "Catherine is my Sister", etc, then you can hit the green button on a Parrot car kit and tell it "Call my wife" or "Call my sister" - great for minimising distraction.

I also find it good for setting alarms and setting up reminders but, despite getting better at recognising my voice, it remains rubbish for dictation or internet-based questions or searches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Using Siri for a few days now and find it useful. Also recognises my voice pretty well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭squonk

I use it primarily for setting alarms when cooking. Otherwise I don't bother as even when setting reminders it just does't recognise what I'm saying exactly. It just takes more trouble to correct it then than it would have been manually setting the reminder in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Could you always use Siri for launching any app. With iOS 7 it can launch any of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

guil wrote: »
    Could you always use Siri for launching any app. With iOS 7 it can launch any of them

Yeah that was added in iOS 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yeah that was added in iOS 6.

Yeah I jut tried it with a work colleagues 4s and sure enough it was there. I thought as lot of stuff like that was disabled for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

guil wrote: »
    Yeah I jut tried it with a work colleagues 4s and sure enough it was there. I thought as lot of stuff like that was disabled for us

Actually yeah they did list a lot as unavailable to Ireland but in reality it wasnt. Maybe just not fully ready so they gave it to us but didn't list it as a feature.

Advertisement