Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any other stations like Broombridge?

Options
  • 05-06-2013 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I travelled from dublin city centre to bloombridge station today.

I touched on with my Leap card and there is no touch off point at Broombridge, so I guess I'll be charged a full fare, which is unfair.

I'd like to know if Any other station in dublin doesn't support leap card or doesn't have a gate in case it happens again.

Can you describe your station?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I travelled from dublin city centre to bloombridge station today.

I touched on with my Leap card and there is no touch off point at Broombridge, so I guess I'll be charged a full fare, which is unfair.

I'd like to know if Any other station in dublin doesn't support leap card or doesn't have a gate in case it happens again.

Can you describe your station?
    Thank you.
    You should contact Irish Rail and tell them you got off at Broombridge and they will refund your card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You should contact Irish Rail and tell them you got off at Broombridge and they will refund your card.

They won't.

Op, You'll need to contact leap card support, they'll forward the details onto Irish rail, who'll then refund you.

Broom bridge is the only station without validators due to local vandalism. Take notice how there's no tvms or office there.

That is to say though, just because there's a validator present, doesn't mean its going to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The original Irish Rail smartcard works perfectly at Broombridge.

Provide proof of residency or employment near the station and the card will never fail to tag off at Broombridge, even if the tag off facility has been stolen by the local thugs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The original Irish Rail smartcard works perfectly at Broombridge.

Provide proof of residency or employment near the station and the card will never fail to tag off at Broombridge, even if the tag off facility has been stolen by the local thugs

The poles are just lumps of plastic. There's no validators there. So no ability to tag on or off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Doesn't matter, Irish Rail built a solution into the smartcard to work around this.

Don't believe me, you can call them and find out

• Advertisement

But the issue in the op is regarding the lack of equipment. Their workaround is of no use to leap card, as that ties it to the station with assumed tag offs. Thus losing its flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jingzhang85

I heard fare dodgers claim they got on board from BroomBridge, does this mean they could get on from another station without a ticket? I thought all the other stations have gate and barriers and staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The entire line from Griffith Junction to ORellys Crossing (Ratoath Road) can be considered "bandit country" since knackers pretty much infest that entire area. Tag on/off post were put on initially but later destroyed by those said knackers. Have seen plans for building a new station "Pebblestown" just before ratoath at the Maynooth side of O'neils crossing which would allow them to effectively $hitcan broombridge entirely in the same way as Cherry Orchard but not sure if theyre going ahead with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Having travelled daily on the Maynooth line in the past I think that'll be a disaster. Expect broken/vandalised equipment, windows smashed on passing trams etc. You can't change the nature of a place just by throwing money into it.

May not be "PC" to call this stuff out these days but I reckon I'll be proven right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭markpb

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Having travelled daily on the Maynooth line in the past I think that'll be a disaster. Expect broken/vandalised equipment, windows smashed on passing trams etc. You can't change the nature of a place just by throwing money into it.

May not be "PC" to call this stuff out these days but I reckon I'll be proven right.

Would I be right in saying its about ten yeas since you used the Maynooth line regularly and it'll be another five years before the Luas goes there? Anything could change in five years.

Remember the predictions that the Luas through Fatima would be stoned and trashed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

markpb wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying its about ten yeas since you used the Maynooth line regularly and it'll be another five years before the Luas goes there? Anything could change in five years.

I use it daily now - and have done for 12 years. Broombridge has done nothing but get worse over that period. The next 5 years are not going to change that. Until the police and local community get that place sorted out no train should stop there as there's a constant danger to law-abiding passengers. I've been on trains that have had rocks thrown at them, bottles thrown, seen large chunks of the platform on fire. It's a bloody disaster zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭donaghs

Metro ran a story today about a fight on the train from Connolly to Broombridge that escalated when "reinforcements" arrived at Broombridge. Was it last night about 9pm?

Two gangs of kids, but some passengers were attacked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

markpb wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying its about ten yeas since you used the Maynooth line regularly and it'll be another five years before the Luas goes there? Anything could change in five years
    Orion wrote: »
    I use it daily now - and have done for 12 years. Broombridge has done nothing but get worse over that period. The next 5 years are not going to change that. Until the police and local community get that place sorted out no train should stop there as there's a constant danger to law-abiding passengers. I've been on trains that have had rocks thrown at them, bottles thrown, seen large chunks of the platform on fire. It's a bloody disaster zone.
    donaghs wrote: »
    Metro ran a story today about a fight on the train from Connolly to Broombridge that escalated when "reinforcements" arrived at Broombridge. Was it last night about 9pm?

Two gangs of kids, but some passengers were attacked too.

I rest my case. Sad that this is the reality but you can't just wave a magic money wand and improve an ongoing antisocial problem by throwing in a few train tracks and a tram.

It'll be a colossal waste of money I think, both initially and on an ongoing basis. And why stop in Broombridge anyway? Why not out as far as Blanch SC which would make a lot more sense I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

So far, any tram or rail project in Dublin has had the waste of money canard chucked at it. In the specific case of Broombridge, a small bit of proactive policing would nip that particular issue in the bud. I travel through Broombridge weekly and it was far worse twenty years ago than now. We don't get the local lowlifes chucking ballast or fireworks through windows anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

I have been told by some family members living in Cabra that the area will be cleaned up around Broombridge plus with CCTV installed the gangs may vanish so all won't be bad (I hope and hold my breath in waiting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

mtjm wrote: »
    I have been told by some family members living in Cabra that the area will be cleaned up around Broombridge plus with CCTV installed the gangs may vanish so all won't be bad (I hope and hold my breath in waiting)

Well given that there is to be a full depot built adjacent to the station there will be an element of truth it the first half of your post. What will happen to the feral gangs is ultimately a greater societal question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Con Logue wrote: »
    We don't get the local lowlifes chucking ballast or fireworks through windows anymore.

*cough*
    I've been on trains that have had rocks thrown at them, bottles thrown,
    And that was in the last month. It doesn't come through the windows cos most trains don't have windows that open anymore - that's the only difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

So, how’s Broombridge now that the tram is running?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Busier. They're still finishing the works associated with the luas.

Think it hasn't had nearly as many incidents in the last 5 years. I use the train most mornings and some evenings and it's been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Broombridge is far from perfect, but is better than years ago.

Most of the criminal behaviour came from across the canal, the side nearest South Finglas, which developed in the 1970s & 80s. The hooligan element there has grown up, and the area is relatively mature.

That is not to say that the Garda should not police the area, or that the courts should not severely deal with hooligans, either in Broomebridge or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

*cough*

And that was in the last month. It doesn't come through the windows cos most trains don't have windows that open anymore - that's the only difference.

When Maynooth and some Sligo trains had Park Royal coaches with single glazing, stones did come in the windows, as the glass broke.

Modern stock from Cravens onwards, are double glazed, so a sharp stone smashes the outer pane of glass only, then the glazing unit gets replaced.
    Also the 2900 railcars have smaller windows, so less likely to be broken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

Broombridge and the surrounding environment is like another world - compared to how it was - since the Luas connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Broombridge and the surrounding environment is like another world - compared to how it was - since the Luas connection.

Of course it is. The main area that the trouble used to come from has been built upon and is now a busy area.

Of grave disappointment no doubt to a lot of the bigots on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Of course it is. The main area that the trouble used to come from has been built upon and is now a busy area.

It's not bigotry to call people who behave like criminals skangers, and to extrapolate what their future behavior will probably be like based on their pas behavior.

I grew up in a council estate, and while the stereotyping goes too far (most people there worked full time, and most of the kids were decent) there is always an element who drag an area down, we all know who they are, they are the type whos parents spent their lives on welfare (thankfully much much harder now) and grew up with an entitlement mentality.
    Keep in mind what I'm about to describe is actually an area where to look at it (most of it) you'd not even know it had been built by the council, the houses/gardens etc are very well maintained and the people are all out at work during the day - considered a nice area by any standard, yet:

• The area got new street signs at one point, lovely well designed things - several of them were pushed over and half out of the ground within days.
    • There was a lovely stone path put across one of the grass areas with trees and flower beds lining it - the trees were promptly pulled out by the roots and just tossed there on the ground.

More recently things I noticed when I returned to the area visiting my parents place..

• Someone died and the council done up the house and moved a new family in, a single mother (of COURSE...) and a dozen kids. I was there one night about to head home and I saw flames in the field near the train station, I knew theres an electric generating station there linked to the trains - they'd taken a cage from outside the newsagents filled it with material from a skip, set it on fire and pushed it into the trees - which they thought was great fun.

• Right in front of their house days after they moved in there was stuff tossed on the grass I noticed it from a distance but thought it was just bread or something so ignored it. It's common these days with the "waste nothing" mentality we all have now for people to break up bread going a bit hard that will be thrown out and toss it out for the birds. It always annoyed me people drop in on the ground in a clump instead of spreading it out so the birds are not all on top of each other when they go down for it. I saw it there the next visit and thought it was really odd it was still there - I walked over - it was vegetables ...cabbages etc just TOSSED on the grass dumped there

See these kids are not brought up like normal people, they don't behave like normal kids/teenagers, to them destroying/burning/wrecking something is no different going to the cinema or even drinking with your friends, because they were never taught by their parents to respect other peoples property because they never have to pay for or work hard for anything themselves - it just gets handed to them, they saw mammy just get her money from the post office all her life she didn't have to DO anything for it, and they consider (I know cos they said it to me as I grew up) those of us who USE the opportunities granted by free college, those of us who actually go out and work to be suckers or "mugs".
    It even comes from simple things I'd see them toss papers on the ground in the train station or on the street parents beside them and they'd never tell them "pick that up and put it in the bin" so they'd never learn that basic lesson. One day I was getting on the train at Connoly, waiting for people to get off, and this guy (clearly a member of this brigade) rammed his buggy INTO the legs of several people and dragged the kids behind him onto the train banging into people not giving them a chance to get off - their kids will grow up thinking that's normal behavior and since their friends will be skangers too - that's how they'll be socialized.
    Now I consider their mediocre lives to be a sad pathetic waste but they think they're the geniuses and were the fools.

It makes my blood boil when I see a stereotype applied to everyone who comes from a council estate and the (incorrect) refrain about "free houses" particularly annoys me (no more free than any rented accommodation) but don't tell me such areas don't attract a certain type of vermin, I saw it with my own eyes growing up amongst them - every day when I went to work or college I'd see them casually jumping the barriers at the DART station while the very people funding their entire lives tagged their cards or swiped their tickets. Many of these new welfare rules have some collateral damage to them (I ended up caught in some of it during a limited time on jobseekers) but it's a price worth paying if it gives these types a slap on the back of the head.

I don't consider it bigotry to take exception to them - bigotry is bias or hate based on irrational tribalism, nothing irrational about this, it's from examples we've all seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cool story, bro.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    moved a new family in, a single mother (of COURSE...)

It makes my blood boil when I see a stereotype applied
    selective quoting is fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

tabbey wrote: »
    Broombridge is far from perfect, but is better than years ago.

Most of the criminal behaviour came from across the canal, the side nearest South Finglas, which developed in the 1970s & 80s. The hooligan element there has grown up, and the area is relatively mature.....

Cabra on the other side of the canal was no different, at the same times.
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    Of course it is. The main area that the trouble used
    to come from has been built upon and is now a busy area.

Both sides are more mature.

Train was hit by stones few times last year when I was on it. Always from the park + playing fields after BroomBridge and before Ashtown. Windows shattered at least on one occasion but nothing came through to the carraige.

Never got off the train at Broombridge in recent years so can't comment, about area around the station itself. It was burnt out for ages. They fixed it up when?, 6~12 months ago. Seems to have been better since then. Of course there's been non-stop activity around it since then, so its not as isolated as it used to be.

Be nice if they could fix the surface for cycling. Was pretty bad in places when cycling into town along the canal last year. haven't done it this year yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Are there validators and TVMs at Broombridge now?

Advertisement