Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 - Predict the 4 poets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Hopkins
    Shakespeare
    Kinsella
    Wordsworth

There would be riots across the country. Turkey would have nothing on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

0mega wrote: »
    There would be riots across the country. Turkey would have nothing on us.
    Riots won't change the paper.

The SEC have given fair warning over several years that they intend the papers to get less predictable; what happens if they keep their word?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JessicaB844

Ahhh.....I want Plath to come up but I have a terrible feeling she mightn't. I'll go with...

Bishop
    Shakespeare
    Hopkins
    Wordsworth

There needs to be an Irish poet too

I think:
    Mahon
    Bishop
    Wordsworth
    Shakespeare

There needs to be an Irish poet too
    There doesn't, you know.

It's been the pattern for a long time, but nowhere in the curriculum (which is all that matters) does it say that there will be one Irish poet and one female poet.

The SEC have given fair warning over several years that they intend the papers to get less predictable; what happens if they keep their word?

In making them that 'unpredictable', it would just become predictable in future years that the hardest/most commonly featured poets will appear. :p

• Advertisement

In making them that 'unpredictable', it would just become predictable in future years that the hardest/most commonly featured poets will appear. :p
    Then one year you get Bishop / Rich / Plath / Mahon (assuming the same pool as this year), and everyone is saying "but that's too easy, we never thought they would come up together, I was banking on Hopkins / Wordsworth / Shakespeare". ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

The irish are pathetic when it comes to activism or protest of any sort.

Predictions:

Plath
    Wordsworth
    Shakespeare
    Hopkins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

I have a feeling plath wont come up, I really hope she does.

Plath/Bishop
    Wordsworth
    Hopkins
    Mahon

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

I've decided on what would suit me down to the ground... Something like:
    Mahon
    Bishop
    Hopkins
    Kinsella

That way I reckon about 95% of the country will answer either Mahon or Bishop and myself and Gerad Manley can get intimate :P

I'd love for Plath to come up but if she doesn't this would be the next best thing for me anyway!

Only issue with my prediction is that it doesn't have one of the 'ancients' ie the Williams but Hoppy kinda counts.

Prodigious wrote: »
    The irish are pathetic when it comes to activism or protest of any sort.
    Well, protesting something like that is a bit like organising a protest because your horse didn't win the Grand National! :pac:

There's a way to beat the odds on this one at least ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 JessicaB844

There doesn't, you know.

It's been the pattern for a long time, but nowhere in the curriculum (which is all that matters) does it say that there will be one Irish poet and one female poet.

Yeah I know that but I really don't think they are gonna stray from that format tbh, it will be a woman, irish and classical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

Riots ! ;)

Lads can Plath come up on the ordinary paper and not come up on the higher paper?

Then one year you get Bishop / Rich / Plath / Mahon (assuming the same pool as this year), and everyone is saying "but that's too easy, we never thought they would come up together, I was banking on Hopkins / Wordsworth / Shakespeare". ;)

I admit defeat. :pac:

007driver wrote: »
    Riots ! ;)
    Actually, from my experience of modding this forum over the last few years, the correct answer would seem to be: TEARS!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Lads can Plath come up on the ordinary paper and not come up on the higher paper?

Yes. The Honours and Ordinary papers are made separately. There may be similarities, there may not be.

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    The two papers have no relationship to one another, and would (usually, anyway) be set by different people.

(Snap, Ms. Girl! :D)
    I admit defeat. :pac:

Just think yourself lucky I'm not setting the paper! :p :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 onlineavatar

Kinsella
    Wordsworth
    Bishop
    Hopkins

I'm still sticking by my guns that they're only worth 12.5% which is a stupid amount for the work involved so if my poets don't come up, I won't answer on it and use the spare time to write a kicking essay on everything else! :)

If plath comes up tomorrow. This is my jam

Hot and fresh out the kitchen

• Advertisement

I'm still sticking by my guns that they're only worth 12.5% which is a stupid amount for the work involved so if my poets don't come up, I won't answer on it and use the spare time to write a kicking essay on everything else! :)
    Seriously, try not to do that.

At least have a quick look over a 4th / 5th poet. If you're unlucky with the choice, stay calm, read the questions carefully. Pick your best question and try to write at least a couple of paragraphs of semi-relevant stuff.

Certainly, don't spend as long on that question as you might if you get a decent choice, and use the extra time on the other questions, but don't ignore it altogether.

All an examiner can give you for a blank page is a big fat zero, and you're automatically now reduced to a B grade for Paper II before they even start marking. Even half a page / page with some sense to it will pick you up *some* marks ...

Seriously, try not to do that.

At least have a quick look over a 4th / 5th poet. If you're unlucky with the choice, stay calm, read the questions carefully. Pick your best question and try to write at least a couple of paragraphs of semi-relevant stuff.

Certainly, don't spend as long on that question as you might if you get a decent choice, and use the extra time on the other questions, but don't ignore it altogether.

All an examiner can give you for a blank page is a big fat zero, and you're automatically now reduced to a B grade for Paper II before they even start marking. Even half a page / page with some sense to it will pick you up *some* marks ...

I know all of this but I do have 4 poets so in the very unlikely event that the other 4 come up, I would rather leave it blank to be honest. And if someone goes in with 3 learned and gets one, I'll be pi**ed.
    I suppose I could write about Shakespeare as a fifth poet from memory and waffle about iambic pentameter.
    But seriously, too much work not enough marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I know all of this but I do have 4 poets so in the very unlikely event that the other 4 come up, I would rather leave it blank to be honest. And if someone goes in with 3 learned and gets one, I'll be pi**ed.
    I suppose I could write about Shakespeare as a fifth poet from memory and waffle about iambic pentameter.

10 minutes writing what you remember could pick you up up to twenty marks, which you probably would not get in improving one of your other answers.

Prodigious wrote: »
    10 minutes writing what you remember could pick you up up to twenty marks, which you probably would not get in improving one of your other answers.

I know I'm not being reasonable guys and usually I'd be the one encouraging people look over everything! If I end up losing out, I know it's my fault. And I realistically probably would write some waffle for it, but only for as you said, 10 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

I know I'm not being reasonable guys and usually I'd be the one encouraging people look over everything! If I end up losing out, I know it's my fault. And I realistically probably would write some waffle for it, but only for as you said, 10 minutes or so.

Mahon, plath, hopkins, bishop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

• Mahon
    • Bishop
    • Shakespeare
    • Kinsella

If you have 4, statistically the chances of being caught out are quite small, as you say. That said, it can and does happen, and happened to a couple of people in this forum last year.

Shakey's a good fifth back-up though, because you already know quite a bit about him from studying his plays. Guarantee you that if you look over at least a couple of his sonnets in the morning (I'd include "Shall I compare thee ..." tbh) that you would be able to cobble together at least a passing grade on that question in 20 minutes.

And as Prodigious points out, that 20 marks will be hard to find in improvements to already good answers elsewhere.

(This is advice for everyone btw, not just ODHead!)

If you have 4, statistically the chances of being caught out are quite small, as you say. That said, it can and does happen, and happened to a couple of people in this forum last year.

Shakey's a good fifth back-up though, because you already know quite a bit about him from studying his plays. Guarantee you that if you look over at least a couple of his sonnets in the morning (I'd include "Shall I compare thee ..." tbh) that you would be able to cobble together at least a passing grade on that question in 20 minutes.

And as Prodigious points out, that 20 marks will be hard to find in improvements to already good answers elsewhere.

(This is advice for everyone btw, not just ODHead!)

I would just feel so bad for anyone that does 4 and is caught out!
    Anyway, I will probably look over 3 sonnets in the morning so I could at least get a paragraph on each! And then one on iambic pentameter and how it demonstrates skill! Sorted :)
    Also, ODHead makes me sound like a drug addict and I find it quite amusing! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I did this last year, thinking exactly the same as you did. My four poets didn't come up, and I wrote one sentence in the poetry section, because I couldn't bear to leave it blank. Even have a basic knowledge of the Shakespeare - which you already have from the play. And for Lord's sake, don't simply write "Phillip Larkin was known for his poems revolving around English life." One. Mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

So I quickly realised that 3 poets would have no chance in covering me, so spent the last hour learning off a Derek Mahon essay.
    I'm PRAYING that one of these four will come up;

Shakespeare
    Hopkins
    Plath
    Mahon

If they repeat Rich and Kinsella this year. I'll be outraged......internally.

Advertisement