Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 - Predict the 4 poets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

woopah92 wrote: »
    So I quickly realised that 3 poets would have no chance in covering me, so spent the last hour learning off a Derek Mahon essay.
    I'm PRAYING that one of these four will come up;

Shakespeare
    Hopkins
    Plath
    Mahon

If they repeat Rich and Kinsella this year. I'll be outraged......internally.

Rich can be fairly straight forward for learning quickly, if you want a basic outline of a fifth.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Rich can be fairly straight forward for learning quickly, if you want a basic outline of a fifth.

We never did Rich and there's zero notes on her in our poetry book.
    I'll do a quick run over of Lizzie Bishop in the morning, we did her in school the very last week so I have some idea of her poetry. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

woopah92 wrote: »
    We never did Rich and there's zero notes on her in our poetry book.
    I'll do a quick run over of Lizzie Bishop in the morning, we did her in school the very last week so I have some idea of her poetry. :D

Do a really quick run over, just to have an idea. (Is it obvious I don't want any of ye turning into me?)

Do a really quick run over, just to have an idea. (Is it obvious I don't want any of ye turning into me?)

I have til two in the afternoon anyway. I'm not doing engineering so it'll be grand. :pac:
    A 7:30 start, a mug of tea and Lizzie Bishop. Sure Thursday mornings couldn't get any better. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Misteree

Hopkins
    Wordsworth
    Bishop or Plath
    Mahon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Also, ODHead makes me sound like a drug addict and I find it quite amusing! :P
    I have to admit that, glancing back after I had typed it, I was coming up with an even worse interpretation! :pac:

(Sorry! :D)
    And for Lord's sake, don't simply write "Phillip Larkin was known for his poems revolving around English life." One. Mark.
    Especially as he's not on this year! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Definitely glance over the 5th poet guys, you don't want to risk it. Even if you look over the 5th in the car to the way to the exam it will do no harm really, when you open the paper and (hopefully) see your poet of choice you can forget everything you glanced over on the way to school; if not, you have the 5th poet there, fresh in your head to get a few points down on him/her and some marks at least (a lot better than no marks!).

Listen to us auld ones! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Personally I reckon they're going to leave out Plath Bishop and Mahon, so.....

Hopkins
    Wordsworth
    Willy Shakes
    Kinsella or Rich

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Sean1996

ah lads, i can get to sleep now thinking about these poxy poets haha might cath up on some study now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rugrats

Plath
    Shakespeare
    Mahon
    Wordsworth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Mahon
    Bishop
    Hopkins
    Shakespeare

I'll be searching through this thread later to find who got it right..! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

Predicting and hoping for:

Bishop
    Mahon
    Wordsworth
    Shakespeare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

All the facebook statuses are praying for Bishop/Plath. If they come up and I've wasted my precious time on 5 poets..........I will not be impressed. Awful as it may sound, I'd prefer for neither of them to come up so that everyone around me will descend into panic while I quietly continue with my Hopkins/Shakespeare question, Mahon at a last resort. I have a sneaking feeling about Shakeapeare appearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Was just about to say, Plath is trending on twitter. Ughh I really love her and would love to answer on her but I don't want to answer on the same poet as everyone ever. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Hopkins
    shakespeare
    Bishop
    kinsella

couldn't see them putting rich on again although kinsella is a possiblity :P

All the facebook statuses are praying for Bishop/Plath. If they come up and I've wasted my precious time on 5 poets..........I will not be impressed. Awful as it may sound, I'd prefer for neither of them to come up so that everyone around me will descend into panic while I quietly continue with my Hopkins/Shakespeare question, Mahon at a last resort. I have a sneaking feeling about Shakeapeare appearing.

I actually hope you're right. Hopper and Shakey fo' eva 2kaii13 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Hopkins, Shakespeare, Plath and Mahon. Not sure if that's hope or prediction :P

Edit: Mahon, Plath and Hopkins all came up in 2004 :( My new prediction is Kinsella, two of either Plath, Hopkins or Mahon, and Shakespeare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Where are you seeing people on fb paying for bishop or Plath all I'm seeing all over twitter and fb is Mahon

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭200c200c

Okay I'm guessing it could go something like this :
    Wordsworth
    Hopkins
    Bishop
    Kinsella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's Plath's 50th anniversary and the last year Shakespeare is on the course so I'd go with:

Plath
    Shakespeare
    Mahon
    Wordsworth (hasn't come up in 17 years so there's always a chance, and he was on the mocks)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 ulty77

are you allowed to bring hmmtb into the exam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

ulty77 wrote: »
    are you allowed to bring hmmtb into the exam?

Of course not. You're only allowed to bring pens, drinks and sweets, not a chance they'd let you bring in a book or notes

• Registered Users Posts: 6 WastingLight

Plath
    Hopkins
    Shakespeare
    John Terry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

PLATH BISHOP MAHON EITHER WILLY

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Plath
    bishop
    Mahon
    Hopkins

first correct prediction :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

a0ifee wrote: »
    first correct prediction :D

Really? My brother is currently sitting this paper, and while he was covered poets-wise, he desperately wanted Plath. He was extremely confidant with her!:p He messed up his timing yesterday and ended up not being able to even start a QB so I really want today to go well for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Really? My brother is currently sitting this paper, and while he was covered poets-wise, he desperately wanted Plath. He was extremely confidant with her!:p He messed up his timing yesterday and ended up not being able to even start a QB so I really want today to go well for him!

well he's in luck then because I was told that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Is that the honours paper ? thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Any word on the comparatives? Or Macbeth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭200c200c

Bishop
    Hopkins
    Mahon
    Plath
    All came up :D Cant believe it , it was like dream paper :) Theme/Issue and Cultural Context :) Cant believe it was such a nice paper !!

Advertisement